Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 8th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Cats taking Reactine

Hi members!

As some of you may know our cat Baci has chronic Rhinitis of unknown origin.

We've gone through many different drugs to try to help him. Benadryl did absolutely nothing for him but recently he has tried Reactine (5mg per day) on advice from his vet and knock wood....it's helping.

I was just curious to know if members have any experience giving Reactine to cats and if it helped, or what the consequences were.

many thx!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 9th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Hi there Marko:
Glad to hear that Baci is responding to the Reactine. Did you find another vet? and if so is it an Integrative vet?
Just surprised to see that the Reactine is being used. I did some research into it on the net and there seems to be some good responses to it in both dogs and cats, although cats seem to benefit more from it than dogs do.
There was an article put out by the Canadian Veterinary Journal - 2012 - in regards to the Cetirizine ie Reactine or Zyrtec and the relatively good response to the tests.
By the sound of it, it would be a good product to do some more research into. It sounds as if it can be used for considerable numbers of afflictions. Would be well worth discussing its other uses with vets.
Here's an article worth reading. It's a bit of an eye opener to the positive effects of Reactine.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet/..._for_cats-5403

Last edited by Reg; November 9th, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:28 AM

I'm going to give our vet a call tomorrow about the Reactine. I don't know what the last pills Ozzie was on,( along with a steroid shot), but I don't feel they worked very well, and he's very stuffed up and miserable now to the point you can hear him walking into a room because his breathing is so bad.
Old November 10th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Hi folks, yes, I got a second opinion for another vet who recommended Reactine. Baci's problem is NOT solved mind you, but he is 30%-40% better at this point in time and he breaths more easily. This has been going on for nearly 1 year and we were starting to have bad thoughts about baci's future. But knock wood, Reactine has been a Godsend lately.

Thx for the link Reg!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:21 PM

Marko, I called my vet today, he said give one pill daily for a week, if it works, then one pill every other day. Also, it should be a 5mg pill. After going to drugstore, I only saw 10mg tablets. Do you cut yours in half, and does your cat have a hard time swallowing it?
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:28 AM

Hi LP - Both our vets are reading from the same dosage book - Really appreciate that you checked this out with your vet for me.

Yes, I cut the 10 MG tablet in two to get a 5mg per day dose. Then I crush it between two spoons and mix it with soft food. Baci eats it all, without issue.

thx again for the input!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 15th, 2014, 10:00 PM

I tried crushing the pill up and putting it in small amount of tuna, Ozzie started licking it, stopped and walked away. I'm going to give him the same plate when he gets hungry, and see what happens. That method has never worked before, but I'm hoping. Chances are I'm going to have to put the pill down his throat, he's the worst cat I have to do that to because he used to be feral and puts up a fight, even though he no longer has teeth.

Did your vet say to give every day for a week, and if it works to switch to every other day?
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:58 AM

My vet suggested that it was ok to give every day as needed, but hopefully long term, he won't need it. (Right now though, he needs it every single day).

(When I crush the pill, it's pure powder and takes up very little volume...it mixes well with any wet food and baci eats it all. That said, when i tried benadryl with the same technique a few months ago, he gave me the finger and told me to take a hike.)
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 16th, 2014, 01:51 PM

I tried tuna again, next time I'm going to try wet cat food, smashed up really good. Maybe he'll eat something better if hes used to it. I really wish I could get him to do it this way, its so much easier that trying to grab him and put a pill in his mouth because he isn't a cat that can be picked up. You get the finger from yours, I'm sure mine will be plotting on how to trip me down the stairs by the time I'm done with him.