Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 18th, 2005, 12:58 PM
<-----nut ball

difference between humane society, SPCA, Animal Services, and Pound

I hope the title shows up and isn't too long!

I am confused.

What is the difference between all these? Are any government funded?

Do SPCA's have selters?

In Brampton, we only have the Brampton Animal Services, which is not a humane society or associated with the SPCA.

I'm just curious what the differences are...I know, stupid question...
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:05 PM

This is from the Ontario SPCA FAQ's

What is the difference between the "Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Ontario SPCA)" and the "Ontario Humane Society (OHS)"?

"Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals" and "Ontario Humane Society" are both one and the same entity. Humane Society is a common term and is used by some of the Ontario SPCA branches and affiliates.

The term SPCA is also known throughout the world; there is, for example, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the United Kingdom's Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA). The Ontario SPCA is affiliated with the Canadian Association of Animal Welfare Administrators (CAAWA), the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies (CFHS), the RSPCA, and the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA).
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:07 PM
<-----nut ball

ok...so...

The toronto Humane society and the toronto animal services, are they the same thing?
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:22 PM

no, the City used to have a contract with THS. I think TAS and THS used to work very closely together but the City terminated its contract with THS. They have very different policies. The whole thing is quite political. If you go to the THS website under speaking up or out(I forget) you can see the Humane Societys position on Toronto Animal Services.
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that Humane Society and OSPCA are interchangable because, I believe that OSPCA is the new name for the Humane Society. (If this isn't right, let me know!)
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:06 PM
<-----nut ball

so...is the THS still SPCA? Or is TAS part of SPCA?
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

They are separate. TAS is animal control for Toronto, like a pound. The SPCA has branches and affiliates. Some shelters do not have a physical building, like Peel SPCA and Collingwood Humane. Some are run by volunteers.

THS is run by the President and Board. TAS is run by the city. THS gets oodles of donations, TAS does not.

The SPCA branches and affiliates (two different things) are shown here: http://www.ospca.on.ca/wwa_baa_bran.html

Branches are more independant, affiliates are controlled by Newmarket SPCA, they recently shut down the dog program at Peel SPCA which was really sad.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:24 PM
<-----nut ball

Ahhh...that makes sense. THanks.

It sucks about the peel branch. The Brampton Animal services is way out in the middle of no where, and unless you have a car, you cannot get there.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Major differences in their mandates

Basically Humane Societies, OSPCA and the THS want to protect animals and are basically run as not for profits. While Animal Service's mandate is animal CONTROL and these are basically city funded.

It is highly unlikely you will ever find an animal hater working at any of the first organizations but you may find the occasional one working at Animal Services.

A director of animal services was recently arrested at a dog hog fight in South Carolina.
Tim Dack the director of Winnipeg Animal Services sold dogs to the University of Manitoba for research purposes even though there were no pound seizure rules in Manitoba. I guess he needed the money.

They also differ in how pound seizure works. Pound seizure is already a legal requirement in Ontario and Bill 132 will only strengthen those laws. Animal Services are unlikely to oppose it while the other organizations already do break the law on a daily basis.

The Ontario Animals for Research Act requires pounds to relinquish dogs and cats they have held for more than three days if requisitioned by a registered research facility. This is hardly enough time to find a new home for these animals, or even for someone to find a well-loved, but lost family companion. The Animals for Research Act was created to ensure a cheap source of animals for experimentation, and stipulates that laboratories pay only $6 per dog and $2 per cat. In contrast, a person wanting to adopt one of these animals as a companion could be required to pay up to $150 for a dog and $80 for a cat. At least 10 pounds in Ontario continue to provide animals for experimentation; however, humane societies and shelters affiliated with the Ontario SPCA will not supply animals to laboratories, despite the legislation.
http://www.cruelscience.ca/pound-prov.htm

Old January 18th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually I would say the reverse knowing and dealing with employees in both for several years now. TAS is very rescue friendly - THS is not. I trust TAS with the care of animals much more so than I would THS. You'd be surprised what goes on in some shelters. TAS also does not sell to research, altho several pounds do.
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Generalizations are bad

Maybe I should of added a 'not to generalize but'... comment to my post . I certainly didn't want to imply that there are any steadfast rules - just a difference in core functions.

The not for profits were based on a mission whereas animal control is a function. Any 'pound' that runs along the same principle as a 'shelter' is OK in my books.

The THS is somewhat different than most of the humane societies in Canada in my opinion as they are a little militant and not in a good way. I recently spoke with a volunteer at the THS and I was left shaking my head.
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat
The THS is somewhat different than most of the humane societies in Canada in my opinion as they are a little militant and not in a good way. I recently spoke with a volunteer at the THS and I was left shaking my head.
How so? (And if this is going to start something, feel free to not answer I know nothing of them and I'm a little curious)
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

If you go to the OSPCA's web-site,they will tell you the different HS's and shelters affiliated with them.
I believe different HS's have different rules,the HS in Oakville have been known to keep animals as long as 2 yrs,the latest case being a GSD adopted out after 2 yrs in the HS shelter.
They do also spay and neuter feral animals if you are able to catch them.
I am sure they too carry some dark secrets I don't know about,but so far I have a very good feeling about the Oakville Humane Society.I have gotten help from them on several occasions,very helpful animal-loving staff.
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Feline Lunch Lady

Ditto for the Etobicoke HS -- we've had nothing by positive experiences with them. They rescued our cat from another shelter where his time was up (the other shelter did keep him for a long time though...4 or 5 months). He was to be the EHS's office cat forever or until someone adopted him - which ever came first. My daughter thinks "they rule!"

Like Chico2, I can't claim that I know everything about them, but I definitely got the "warm and fuzzies" from them.
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

In answer to Schwinn

Schwinn: it was just one volunteer who was also a member of PETA so I would rather not say regarding that particular case but it was a very interesting evening.

If needed to give at least one example I will comment on a more public case. They spent so much effort defending Bandit that (in my opinion) they came across as irresponsible and far too much concerned with animal rights as opposed to humans. Bandit may of been rehabilitated but with the number of stitches required to repair the damage bandit caused, the fact that the owner wanted the dog euthanized and the publics (unjust) intolerance for pit bulls I believe they weren't acting in the best interest of thousands of other pit bulls by taking such a stand. In this case I actually agreed with Animal Services over a humane society (a rare occurance).

When dogs that do that much damage are protected how can the public be expected to take a chance with our dogs? As sweet as Bandit may of been once trained I didn't support the stand they took.

The original post was pretty much a question regarding the differences between humane societies, shelters, pounds and animal services so I will leave it there. The difference is mandates.

If you don't know about Bandit here is a link. http://toronto.cbc.ca/regional/servl...bandit20040216
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat
Schwinn: it was just one volunteer who was also a member of PETA so I would rather not say regarding that particular case but it was a very interesting evening.
Fair enough. I was hesitant to ask, I know what happened last time I let my curiosity be known.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

The one thing I like about the SPCA is that they will not let an animal go into a new home untill it is spayed/neutered.If I recall,the THS doesn't do this.
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Oakville Humane is a great shelter and Etobicoke as well, they don't have a shelter for the dogs, they are all in fosters which I think is great.Orangeville and Barrie SPCAs are also good.I would not give THS or Newmarket Head Office SPCA a dog though.

Mona is right - THS does not always spay or neuter before adoption, they used to,the Prez thinks it's not neccessary and is cruel. The Prez is what has led to the downfall. The animals are not always treated well,and they do have people that do like animals there.There's a guy who used to give the dogs hot water so they would not drink it and pee resulting in him having to clean on his shift.If you look in the unadoptable room you will also see a very different picture than what the public does.

Hamilton had a fairly high euthanasia rate from the last report I saw but it had a very large intake area.I understand now they choose from the newly attached Stoney Creek AC dogs and no doubt euths have gone down for the as they chose highly adoptable ones.They are also rescue friendly which is great.
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Another good one

I know that the Welland and District Humane Society does a great job and so do their volunteers. Spray or neuter required.
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
The one thing I like about the SPCA is that they will not let an animal go into a new home untill it is spayed/neutered.If I recall,the THS doesn't do this.
Unfortunately, not all do. The one in Orillia charges a higher fee that is re-imbursed if you get the dog spayed/neutered. Personally, I'd like to see them spay/neuter the dog and pass it on through the fee. I know there is the issue of cost to the shelter, but they could offer the dog for adoption as is, then spay/neuter it before turning it over to the new owners once the fee is paid. That would ensure it gets done, and it would avoid the dogs going to people who "can't afford it".
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I must say Hamilton SPCA is great for it.We adopted Casper and Winnie from there.Both were done done before we could take them home.We got Casper first.He was 8 weeks old when we adopted him.He's now 16 months old.The same with Winnie.She was also 8 weeks when we got her.She's 10 months now.Not one dog/pup,cat/kitten goes out of there unaltered.Also,they will let you take the dog you are considering to adopt out for a walk.For this you will need to hand over your drivers licence and car keys.If you are considering adopting a cat/kitten,they take you into a room where you can spend some time with them.When we adopted Casper and Winnie,we paid $217.That included spay/neuter,microchip,pet insurence for 6 weeks,shots and a licence for life.I have had some people say that we paid to much.I keep saying you can't put a price on saving a life. ..The staff there is amazing.I have quite a few friends who have adopted from there.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Some friends of mine have 5 cats each,all from the Oakville HS..beautiful HUGE cats.
The one pair of friends always adopted animals with some sort of problem,right now they have 5 with Feline HIV(don't know word for it!)and they have been with them for many years,the cats are all older and have a wonderful life.
As far as I know the Oakville HS has shelter for dogs,they are not all in fostercare.
I was also delighted to see they have an inclosure for wounded birds,last time I was there,they had a Rooster,a pigeon and some smaller birds
Although I always leave HS in tears,I always get a fuzzy feeling,because the staff seem to be very caring and will answer any dumb question I have.
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Etobicoke Humane has the dogs in fosters, they don't have shelter space for them.
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Feline Lunch Lady

Etobicoke HS does not keep any dogs at the shelter - they are in foster homes.

We were there last night (they were having an open house). We went to drop off some food; brag about our wonderful cat; and to let our daughter visit with the cats in the shelter (her favorite thing to do!). However, it was ME who fell in love with one of of the cats :love: .....no....can't,....it's not the right thing for us to do right now.....must...resist....adoption....impulse.....

Phew! What a heart-wrenching experence. I'm exhausted!
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
Ahhh...that makes sense. THanks.

It sucks about the peel branch. The Brampton Animal services is way out in the middle of no where, and unless you have a car, you cannot get there.
LOL, it's not really the middle of no where... there are buses and cabs that drive there... The reason it's located there is because it's the City of Brampton shelter - it's located at the City works building. A bus ride to Williams Pkwy will get you almost to the door.

The Brampton shelter does not require spay or neutuer before adoption either. They will adopt out intact animals, but give you a coupon for 50 bucks when you return the document stating the animal was fixed... I never recieved my money back though... oh well - consider that my donation...
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I know what you mean I try and not go into the adoption rooms because I just want to take them all home.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
so...is the THS still SPCA? Or is TAS part of SPCA?

Q: What's the difference between you and the OSPCA?

A: The Ontario SPCA (OSPCA) also known as the Ontario Humane Society (OHS) is located in Newmarket, Ontario. They are the provincial body responsible for the administration of the OSPCA Act. This Act gives humane societies the authority to investigate animal cruelty. The Toronto Humane Society is affiliated with the OSPCA. This affiliation gives our agents and inspectors the authority under the act to investigate cases of animal cruelty. Both organizations are registered charities operating animal shelters.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I find Hamilton pricey compared to shelters.

Puppy 6 months & under $320 plus PST

Dogs $280 plus PST

Kitten 6 months & under $200 plus PST

Cats $180 plus PST

And there are exceptions to the spay/neuter rules, a foster home of mine adopted a senior from Hamilton who could not be altered, that happens, and some dogs are not able to be fixed. I have also rescued dogs from Hamilton SPCA that came to me intact.The last couple were altered, but not all of them were.

I like Oakville's policy to give back $50 if they go to training classes!
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM
<-----nut ball

Sammie, yes the bus goes there (number 9), but it only runs during business hours, and not on weekends, which doesn't help me or other 9-5er's without cars. I thought all city buildings were in downtown brampton. It's kinda odd that there are city buildings way out there!

(and yes taxi's are an option....I would rather walk a 1000 miles than take a taxi in Brampton...or a taxi anywhere else. I only take taxis under absolute dire circumstances!)