Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM

I think my Vet paralyzed my Chihuahua

Chica is about a 10 year old Rescue who has heart worms so we started treatment. About a week after the shot she was very sick. She was very weak and had fever and just laid around. We took her back to the Vet and he gave her two shots, one was a steroid, the other an antibiotic. We left his office, drove straight home (about a 5 mi. drive) and when I took her out of our vehicle and placed her in the yard to potty before entering the house, she could not use her left hind leg at all. Just stood there unable to move/walk.

For 2 days every time she tried to walk the leg would slide under her. On day 2 the feeling in her leg returned but now a month later feeling to the paw still has not. She drags the paw and it is turned completely under.

She was not paralyzed AT ALL until after the Vet gave her those last two shots. When I questioned him about it, basically asked him if he damaged a nerve, he denied and started telling me how and where they give shots, etc. It was given in the hip area. Just seems strange to me that within 15 minutes of receiving these shots this happened. He told me to contact any of the Vets in our area, he knows them all well and would be happy to discuss it with them. Good old boy system???

I'd like to ask any Vets here if it's possible that this Vet hurt my dog by giving a shot in the wrong place or is this just an extremely odd coincidence? I'm just beside myself with anger.
Old December 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try calling a vet in another city or town and not say what vet treated your dog and see what the second vet say. I hope you will recover soon.
Old December 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

So sorry to hear this is happening. I'm not a vet but Just curious, after you noticed symptoms in your little dooger, did you call the vet back?

To reply to your question though this is possible.
It has happened to others on this site as well. here is an older thread. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32617
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 18th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Willing cat servant

The thread on the link seems pretty much the same scenario.
Well I know it can happen to dogs and cats as well as it can happen to people it's called footdrop or dangle foot.
Obviously I can't say for sure what happened but it does seems suspicious that it began right after the shots
I think you need a second opinion from a professional. And I know that's what you're aiming for in here.
Old December 18th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'm no vet or doctor, but some quick Googling suggest this can happen in dogs, humans cats, etc in several places where injections are given.

Just speaking anecdotally, I've gotten a flu shot in the arm in the past and my arm was sore and unliftable for a week afterward. Other times nothing.

So sorry again for this.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 18th, 2013, 09:33 AM

Okay, I went and spoke to the Vet in person today, it did not go well. I ended up walking out while he was still talking/denying. I know and he knows that he paralyzed her but he was never going to admit it.

When I questioned him about it today, basically asked him if he damaged a nerve, he denied and started telling me how and where they give shots, etc. It was given in the hip area. Just seems strange to me that within minutes of receiving these 2 shots this happened and I told him so. He told me to contact any of the Vets in our area for a 2nd opinion, he knows them all well and would be happy to discuss it with them. Good old boy system??? You bet it is so I won't be wasting my time.

Chica will not be going for her last round of heart worm treatment and she will NEVER go to this Vet again. Heart worm treatment is a horrible thing to put them through, especially a senior dog. I will be putting her on heartguard and buying a boot for her paw and she will live happily ever after snoozing her days away in my lap. Sorry for the long comment but I'm sorta pissed off.
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judygrl View Post
Okay, I went and spoke to the Vet in person today, it did not go well. I ended up walking out while he was still talking/denying. I know and he knows that he paralyzed her but he was never going to admit it.

When I questioned him about it today, basically asked him if he damaged a nerve, he denied and started telling me how and where they give shots, etc. It was given in the hip area. Just seems strange to me that within minutes of receiving these 2 shots this happened and I told him so. He told me to contact any of the Vets in our area for a 2nd opinion, he knows them all well and would be happy to discuss it with them. Good old boy system??? You bet it is so I won't be wasting my time.

Chica will not be going for her last round of heart worm treatment and she will NEVER go to this Vet again. Heart worm treatment is a horrible thing to put them through, especially a senior dog. I will be putting her on heartguard and buying a boot for her paw and she will live happily ever after snoozing her days away in my lap. Sorry for the long comment but I'm sorta pissed off.
Well... Of course you are. You love your dog and it must be very frustrating and painful to see her unable to use her leg.
I'd be very upset too.