Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 30th, 2007, 04:36 PM

shiloh howling

My beagle shiloh who is 1 and a half will howl when i immatate a beagles howl. I think this is very cute but my grandmom thinks it might hurt her ears and cause her to howl. If it is i will stop I want to know what you guys think.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:39 AM

Beagles are pack dogs - all hounds are - they howl to keep in contact with each other, to know where everyone is, also provides a warning to any other dog who may be attempting to come into their territory - much like a pack of wolves do to tell other wolves to find somewhere else to live.

I doubt Shilioh howls when you do because it hurts her ears otherwise her own howling would hurt her ears - she's identifying herself as part of your pack

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:30 AM

Thanks i read that to my grandmom and she said ok and that she worried about it she also says thanks.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:48 AM
-

"My" very first dog was a Beagle and my earliest memories are of playing AND howling with Brown Whistle. Thanks for the remembrance and ...Howl On !
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Yep, Beagles and hounds in general LOVE to howl (and eat)!
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM

yea they do love to eat shiloh always knows when your eating and sits there waiting for you to give her some!
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't leave anything on the counter either - or on a table so conveniently surrounded by chairs. My aunt had a Beagle who helped himself to the Brisket she had just made to accompany her home made soup. He sure enjoyed it! My guy and the Dachshunds that followed him were very accomplished at getting things from counter and cupboards - a smart cat was very helpful too!
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM

yea when one of us leaves the chair out she gets up on the table and looks for something to eat! usually we dont have something there unless were eating dinner
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM

Just so you know, many animals produce sounds that are loud enough to damage their ears. Saying that you can howl as loud as the dog can and it won't affect her ears because she howls that loud is simply untrue. Animals don't damage their own ears when they produce loud volumes because they have a compensatory mechanism that temporarily reduces the sensitivity of their own auditory system during the production of extremely loud noises.

For example, this has been very well understood in the cricket. If a cricket could "hear" its own chirping, it would instantly cause complete deafness.

But unless you make a habit of howling excruciatingly loud or directly into your dogs ears, I think your OK. Just realize that many animals, especially dogs, do have very sensitive hearing and can hear frequencies and amplitudes that we cannot. Their ears, just like ours, can be permanently damaged by exposing them to these noises.

You should be able to tell the difference between a painful howl and a playful howl though. Have fun! (And be safe!)