Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Schwinn..so very true
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:39 AM

Thank you for the greetings! I think I will visit now and then, but try to avoid the gruesome parts. I will never again buy Iams, but wonder - is there a list of offending pet foods somewhere here? I might get criticized for one thing I give my Velvet when she's feeling poorly. We have laying hens that are fed organic grains and flax for omega 3 for our own use, but when Velvet seems a little thin, or not her bouncy self, I'll take an egg yolk, mix it with an equal amount of milk, whisk it smooth and warm it to just over body temp. If she's off her other food she'll lap this up! She perks right up again. We had a male cat (all our pets are spayed or neutered) that refused his cat food and ate the dogs kibble. We lost him to that horrible, horrible urinary disease. Since then I try to give the healthiest I know. I hate to think that by buying Iams I've been contributing to abuse. So, I'd love a list of safe foods if there is one. Thanks again for the welcome. I know I'm not as savy about goings on as most of you, but as a consumer I want to make better choices.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Iamcanuck,there is a very looong list of"good"food lately,people are more aware and there is big money to be made in good quality pet-food.
To name a few,Nutro,Wellness,Eagle Pack,CSFTCLS...I have to draw the line at some very expensive foods,like Wellness,as Chicken-Soup FTPLS,has the almost exact same ingredients at half the price.
As one example of pricing(not Food),I've been trying different kinds of litters,to get away from the dusty clumping stuff.I heard from another member here about"Worlds best litter"made out of corn and how good it is but was shocked to find out to fill 2 boxes,it would cost $49,75 +15% tax and it would last a month....No,I would not pay $50+/month for cat-litter!!
Your best bet is to read the back of the cat/dog-food bags and go to pet-supply stores rather than grocery-stores.
But like I said before,your elderly cat is doing great,why change anything??
Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Not pro IAMs - never

Chico2 I agree fully that if something or somebody has kept a cat healthy for nineteen years you shouldn't mess with the program. No way no how.

I personally will not use IAMS and in no way condone any of their past actions - ever. I need to make that clear. Nor would I try and convince anyone who doesn't use IAMs to use it when there are so many better options.

My only point was that they do contribute to charities still and have stopped their cruel practices. What more can we hope for? Fight one battle at a time and realize that you can't always annihilate your enemy completly, sometimes you just have to win and I think we have. Japan and Germany are now friends of the Allied nations that destroyed them over sixty years ago. That's the way it works, it has to.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Kitty Mum

Wow!!! I had no idea that this would lead to such a big discussion. Foolishly - I should have known. I would have been back sooner! Usually my posts get only a few responses and that is it. lkkkkmnnnjkm - that was my Jesse cat saying hello My hands are on the keyboard and he feels they should be on his face instead

Anyway, coming back I feel great that some of you here have decided to talk openly and get into such a discussion and nobody got overheated (no horrible arguments). Yay!!!

I really do hope that IAMS has stopped their animal testing - I will have to wait to see overtime. I am always a little skeptical I have seen the video, I own it on DVD (sent to me through another member here). It is the most horrible thing I have ever seen. It took a month for me to get up the nerve after being told myself how bad it was to watch. I would advise to not watch it if you have a weak stomach and can be brought to tears with ease.

Thanks W4F for - "Never offer advice. The wise don't need it, and the fools don't heed it." I realize that now.... I know he is not a fool, in fact he is a genius, but so very stubborn....

Thanks to everyone else who has spoken here as well
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Thank you again for your welcome, and great suggestions. I will look for the brands mentioned for a senior diet for my kitty. ~ Iamcanuck (not Iam's canuck!)
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Iamcanuck,we love to see pictures and I hope we hear from you again!!
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:14 PM

There are some pictures at Our Pets
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

IAC,thank's for the pics,it looks like you live in a beautiful place...beautiful doggie and cat,the goat/sheep,I am a city-girl(not by choice)so I cannot tell the difference,looks adorable too :love: Hope you find the other picture
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Thank you Chico2. Mona Lawne is a goat. A very goofy goat that is extremely affectionate and playful. She has given me a lot of laughs and pleasure. Although she is free to roam she never leaves my sight. I must go find that picture....
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG................I'M A GOAT.

Mind you,I have been called worse.....LMAO...
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:05 AM

HA HA HA If your last name is Lawne....
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Whewwwwwwww,no it's not.......LOL
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Feeding Iams

I am sorry, but I have to say I have an American Cocker Spaniel who will turn 13 in June. We rescued him from an abusive home when he was 2 yrs old. We have tried every kind of food out there. We have spent hundreds of dollars doing this. The only food that he will eat without getting sick to his stomach is Iams Lamb & Rice. I did get to see the disgusting video about Iams. Unfortunately we just don't have any options with our spaniel. His health is our top priority and we will do anything to keep him healthy. as much as I hate the thought of supporting a company that is supossedly supporting animal cruelty, I can't put my dog's health at risk. Now that he will be turning 13 in June, our vet does not recommend us trying to switch him now. Sorry guys, but my furbaby comes first. I know I am new here and I hope this doesn't make me a bad person.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat
Chico2 I agree fully that if something or somebody has kept a cat healthy for nineteen years you shouldn't mess with the program. No way no how.
There are definitely other foods out there that are far better but would you really want to start experimenting?

There is no need for you to change and mess with your dogs diet. You can still support the boycott if you want to by not encouraging anyone to start feeding IAMS and trying to persuade anyone with younger animals to switch.
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Squawkhouse--I think that you have the right idea.I believe that you can only MAKEa difference if you KNOW the difference. What would be the point of supporting a boycott in protest of cruelty to animals, if it means jeopardizing your OWN baby's health. You can educate others and in the meantime give big cuddles and hugs to the soon-to-be birthday-pup!!!