Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old October 16th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Owned by Saints

Switching to EVO.. diarrhea

I figured I'd start another thread instead of posting in my "Bone shards and mystery globs in Felidae canned" thread.

I've been switching Louie (10.5 week old Himi) and Demon (5-ish month old Russian Blue mix) to EVO. Both wet and dry. It's been 2 days and as of this morning they both have diarrhea.

I did a cold turkey switch because A, I didn't want to feed the Felidae wet due to the bones I was finding in it and B, The dry they were getting is the old formula of Acana Kitten which they no longer make. :sad:

I don't know if I should give them more time to adjust to EVO? Or put them back on Felidae wet and let 'things' firm back up, then try something else. I'm really hesitant to feed Felidae since they no longer have blood in their stool.. Now they just have diarrhea instead. I can't win.
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Can you get some probiotics from a health food store and mix it in with the canned? Look for something fairly high potency (10-12 billion organisms), non-dairy, with a variety of different organisms. Natural Factors Ultimate Multi probiotic is a good one. You just need a pinch (1/6th of the capsule) in each meal for each cat. It could be the different ingredients are upsetting their intestinal flora.

One other thing you might want to get while at the health store, is some slippery elm bark. 1/8th to 1/4 of a tsp in with their wet food should help balance the water in their intestines. http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...em=slipperyelm

My other suggestion, which you may not like, is to stop feeding the dry. Evo kibble has an awful lot of different protein sources that I think can be problematic for some cats, and it's also extremely high in calories. It's possible the calorie denseness of it is too much for them. Plus, it's just not necessary for cats to eat dry.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Owned by Saints

Thanks! I'll pick up some probiotics this afternoon.

I have no problem stopping the dry.. But they might. I was thinking the problem was the EVO canned.

Sorry this is a gross.. but Louie's poop is the same color as the canned food, sometimes semi-formed sometimes just a pile. Like he's not digesting it at all. Demon's poop is the same consistancy as Louie's but it's normal color at least.

I'll stop the dry and listen to them complain. LOL It's Louie mainly. I'm having issues with him being free fed the canned. He's a pig. So I've resorted to feeding him small meals 4-5 times a day. He still acts like he's dying of starvation. That's the only reason I gave them any dry kibble. It seemed to satisfy him inbetween meals.
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Stop the dry food completely. We feed our cats Wellness grain free canned exclusively, although they might get some canned salmon from time to time. Our 2 cats get half a large can between them twice a day. They do whine for more, but we know they don't need it. Meeko, the older male, used to weight 20 lbs and is down to 12 now. The only problem with that is he's able to jump and climb again like a kitten (he's 10 years old).

The biggest problem with feeding canned Wellness is that their litter box doesn't stink any more!
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Owned by Saints

Just an update.. (I was without internet for a few days. ) I completely stopped the dry and the diarrhea was gone in 24 hours.

I've been rotating between different Wellness, EVO and Merrick canned foods with no digestive problems whatsoever.

So I'm going to stick with what's working.
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldens4Ever View Post
They got diarrhea because you did a cold switch. That food is VERY high in protein, so it needs to be mixed for 3-4 weeks. Almost every dog would've had this problem, unless they're raw fed. You expected them to adjust in two days?? They need 3-4 weeks.
RaYne was talking about her cats and now everything is fine.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYne View Post
Just an update.. (I was without internet for a few days. ) I completely stopped the dry and the diarrhea was gone in 24 hours.

I've been rotating between different Wellness, EVO and Merrick canned foods with no digestive problems whatsoever.

So I'm going to stick with what's working.
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
RaYne was talking about her cats and now everything is fine.....
LOL-thanks!!! I deleted that post.