Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM

cat twitching

I was wondering if cat twitching is normal. For about the past week, I've noticed my cat twitching, almost like she has a "tic" for a moment, almost like a human shuddering as if they had a chill. It's usually her upper back/shoulders that twitch, not her tail. She is otherwise in good health and does not seem to be bothered by her twitches. I've noticed 1 twitch a day for the past 2 days (but I work for most of the day). It's a bit unnerving.

The last time my cat was doing something odd (drooling) I took her to the vet and it ended up being nothing. So I'm wondering if the twitching too could be normal, or at least just a weird cat thing.

I was reading and found this:
http://www.lclarkecushingvmd.com/sho...=178&Private=0

Maybe I'm overanalysing but sometimes she does run around like a maniac and then try to attack you when you go see what she's doing. However, I don't think she's being aggressive, just embarrassed/surprised at being found acting stupid. She will usually swat at me once and then be over it so I would hardly call this "aggressive," I think she's just being playful. She does also "vocalize" a lot and she grooms quite a bit. But, in my mind these are all normal cat things and do not want to group them together and suddenly make up a problem.

I think I will watch to see if the twitching gets worse or something else starts happening because she seems to be perfectly healthy. But has anyone else experienced this?

Background info:
- She is about 1 1/2 years old, mixed breed.
- She eats Horizon Legacy dry food and wellness grain-free cans. I read about a correlation with eating lots of fish but she hates fish other than the juice out of tuna fish cans.
- Doesn't go out and no other cats.
- Very high energy & very playful.
- Already considered ear mites. She doesn't have any-- easy to tell because of white ears. It's not unlike this kind of twitching, though (ear mite twitching)
- She doesn't really scratch a lot or appear to be "itchy." She has nice fur & no dry skin.

I was thinking that both this & the drooling episode correlate with deep cleaning in my home-- washing hardwood floors, cleaning bathroom, etc. I do use "normal" cleaning products but am not opposed to switching. Could this be the problem?

Last edited by embean; November 10th, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by embean View Post
I was wondering if cat twitching is normal.

One of my cats use to do that , mostly in winter times when it was dry in the house. I used a humidifier and she felt better.
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Catlover2

Hyperesthesia

It's called hyperesthesia. Here's a link.

http://www.cathealth.com/hyperesthesia.htm
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Kitty pimp

ahh well that link was scarey

lots of cats do that esp when reved upand ready to zoom as long as no other related behaviors are present, like rapid licking of one spot or the inabaility to get a pet when calm, i wouldnt worry both DU and amande do this esp when they are excited