Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 11th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

A Very Real Dilemma

Ok, so this has been on my mind for a long time, and now I am turning to my Pets Friends for some opinions.

We are going to be moving in the next couple of months. I am tired of this building, and the manager is being a donkey's rump about Byron. So rather than go to court and yadda yadda, we have found the perfect place for us. All our critters are welcome there.

However, the main reason we have stayed here is doe to Majik, my 13 year old Cyrmic (long haired Manx cat). Since she was 1 year old, she's had a urination problem - she pees on everything, everywhere, etc. I've had her since she was a mere 8 weeks old. We've gone to countless vets over the years, and all have agreed that it's simply a behavior issue, and not medical. Now though, she can not control her bladder very well, and needs to be within 3 feet of a cat pan at all times (otherwise it is all over the place).

We have had to trash many things - clothing, furniture, items, blankets, books, etc, all due to her peeing on them. The last straw was the couch we just tossed. It was soaked to the point that it stank to high heavens. No matter what we used to clean it, the urine was soaked in for good.

We've taken her to vets recently, to rule out any health issues. I don't know all the tests that they did, as it was at the Vet Tech hospital at the university (aka they did tests for free so the students could gain practical application experience). The main vet there told us that she is perfectly healthy barring bladder weakness. He didn't say anything else other than that.

Now the place we want to move to is newer, smaller by a bedroom and we would prefer to keep it clean. Majik is currently confined to the spare room here. She doesn't interact with the other cats (in fact she hates them and they hate her). She will only come out if there is no cat food in her dish. She will only use the cat pan if it is right beside her, otherwise she goes right on the floor.

We have always used the same scent/type of cat litter (extra scented clumping), since she was young. She has no issues using the pan if it is right beside her - if she has to walk more than a couple of feet, she will just go on the floor. The other cats use all of the boxes, regardless of where they are. We have tried all sorts of litters for her, she will use anything providing it is within reach.

We had tried a few times to place her with family members. However she ended up starving herself by not eating, becoming lethargic and depressed. After a year (the longest time with my parents and siblings), I took her back. She was fine briefly, but then started the urination and deification around the house.

She was raised around other animals of all sorts, and never had much issue (she'd basically ignore them). I know the tension between her and the others is a big factor in all of this.

I've had her 13 years, and it's getting to the point that there is only one option for her. I refuse to dump her with anyone else, as I've worked in rescue myself long enough to know what they go through. I don't want to try to place her with strangers, since she's so darn attached to me. She was my first cat, and I want to do right by her. The new place means she will have no place for privacy, as well as the fact that we can not have any animal making those kind of messes in the place.

We've stayed in this place now for 5 years for her (1 year prior because we thought it was nice). It's overrun with drugs, violence, etc. We're tired of it. We want and need to move to a healthier place.

But I feel so bad and wrong about this. I know the best thing is euthanasia with her people holding her as she crosses the rainbow bridge. But I feel so bad that she's alive and relatively healthy. It seems a waste, but who would be kind to an aging soul with bathroom issues? Who would she be happy with, when she only wants to be with me?

I'm very conflicted. I have about 2 months to figure it out. I can't keep living like this The photos are of her over the past 5 years. Sorry for this being so long
Attached Images

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTails View Post
We've taken her to vets recently, to rule out any health issues. I don't know all the tests that they did, as it was at the Vet Tech hospital at the university (aka they did tests for free so the students could gain practical application experience). The main vet there told us that she is perfectly healthy barring bladder weakness. He didn't say anything else other than that.
Can you call and ask for all the tests that were run and have them fax/email you the results?
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I did ask them last month, but the program is closed now until the new semester opens
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't want to make it harder for you but what a beautiful cat. Those gorgeous green eyes, wow! Could you at least try her in your new place before you make a decision?
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thank you Goldfields She is a beautiful girl, and I do love her so much.

Honestly I don't think we'd move if we decided to not do "that". She'd no longer have her personal space like now (we're in a 2 bedroom, she has 1/2 of the master bedroom, we have the small room). She'd be in everyone's living space at all times (her weakness is peeing on anything fabric, plastic or crinkles). The place is newly carpeted, etc. All animals must be approved before you move in, and unfortunately she would not be approved due to her issues It's so very frustrating and heart wrenching
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

It is kinder that you do the hard thing than have her unhappy, yet for you to be happy, and more importantly, safe, you need to do the hard thing. A terrible situation. Big hugs, and I hope someone has a solution for you.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:45 PM

I can't offer much advice, just wanted to send some warm wishes your way.

This is a difficult decision. I agree with LP to see if you can find out more information first before making any permanent decisions.

I really don't know what to tell you... if you were moving somewhere with 2 bedrooms I would suggest taking the 2nd bedroom and removing any carpet and laying down laminate, so at least the messes would be easier to clean up, and you could keep the place relatively hygenic. But your in a tough situation.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thank you Gary and I are talking about it. We're going to talk to some family members and see if anyone may be willing to take her in for a while, see if she's ok with that.

Ideally we'd have a 2 bedroom, but the rents here for 2 bedrooms are nearly double what we are paying now (that puts us over our monthly income). When we moved in here, it was dirt cheap. It's still cheaper, but in the grand scheme of things, totally not worth it.

But we will see what the vet says, and do some serious thinking before anything is done. I don't want to just be rid of her, she's my oldest baby, the one who got me through so much as a teenager. I only want to do right by her
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Doggie Wench

They didn't send you the results when you asked last month? Did you take Majik?

Last edited by marko; August 26th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Yes we went. I left a message and never heard back. I will call them again tomorrow in case they just forgot.

Last edited by marko; August 26th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Doggie Wench

Yes, keep calling TT. The offices are still open and someone should be able to give you all the test results. I wouldn't give up on Majik just yet until you have all the information, ok?
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Will do
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We have always used the same scent/type of cat litter (extra scented clumping), since she was young.
One thing I'd highly recommend is switching litters. Scented litter is a big no-no in my books. Even if it doesn't solve the peeing problem, it will be better for everyone's health.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Floppy Dog

I can't really give you any advice, just a lot of support.

G-Man and I have talked many times about what might happen with our pets. We made the decision that for us, it's a quality of life over quantity of life issue. If we can choose medical treatment options or lifestyle changes that work for our pets and still give them quality of life, then we will. If we can't, then we've already decided that the best thing for our pets would be to put them down. I made a concious decision not to medicate my 13 year old cat when she had thyroid problems because giving her a pill was way harder on both of us than dealing with the thyroid problem. Yes, it probably shortened her life, but for the 3-1/2 years she lived after that, she didn't have to go through twice daily pilling, which would have been more traumatic.

Bottom line, we are adult human beings so we have the reasoning and emotional capacity to make tough decisions and live with the consequences of those decisions. Our pets live in the now, all they have is today. If they have a poor quality today, then they have a poor quality life. So, the question really is, what are Majik's todays going to be like.

Whatever your decision, we will all be here to hold your cyber hands and give you a cyber shoulder to cry on if you need it.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

TT I wish I knew the solution for your dilemma. All I can do is tell you that whatever decision you come to, I support you 100%.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thanks everyone We have an appointment on Monday with the vet, as he wants to discuss something and didn't want to talk about it on the phone. I will be discussing some options with him, depending on what he wants to talk about.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks everyone We have an appointment on Monday with the vet, as he wants to discuss something and didn't want to talk about it on the phone. I will be discussing some options with him, depending on what he wants to talk about.
Hopefully something can be done, and if not TT, you did your best and Majik has had a life of love with you. Whatever happens, whatever you decide after meeting with your vet, remember we are all here for ya.
~hugs~
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:42 PM
-

Quote:
I don't know, it still feels so unreal to me
sorry TT but it seems unreal to me too. Not even a month ago they run all those tests and said Majic was healthy and now suddenly she's full of cancer ? What happens to the results of the first tests , did you show them to the vet you saw this week ? Something is not quite right ? also , the pee and poop problems have been there for years you said ? If it was cancer , she would have been having other health problems and , much sooner.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Wow now I am totally confused? Did Majik see a vet a month ago or not? It seems unlikely she would be full of Cancer in a month?

I may not understand things but how does the vet do a physical exam and say one animal is full of Cancer? Sorry TT just dont understand??

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Wow now I am totally confused? Did Majik see a vet a month ago or not? It seems unlikely she would be full of Cancer in a month?

I may not understand things but how does the vet do a physical exam and say one animal is full of Cancer? Sorry TT just dont understand??

Cindy
Winston, she had a vet appointment 6-7 weeks ago, and had all sorts of tests run on her. I thought it was the vet who said she was perfectly healthy, but it was actually a tech, who said she appeared healthy but that they would be running all sorts of tests.

The appointment was to simply talk to the vet about Majik's results, and he told us that she has cancer.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

TT I am sorry but I dont know of any vet who is going to just arbitrarily run testsd on her and then get back to you in 6-7 weeks? Does it take that long because they are students or people in training?

TT this is my opinion and my opinion only but if they didnt know your cat had Cancer and in 1 month she is full of it then I am not going to have much confidence in their words when they say she is suffering! If she can tell when she is eliminating her body fluids and she bites you when trying to feed her and she is only 4.5 pounds it sounds like Majik is suffering. I am sorry if that hurts you but that is my opinion from the info you have provided.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

No, it was me delaying getting back to them. I've been busy and didn't think there was anything wrong with her. It wasn't until LP told me to call them and get the test results back that they wanted me to come in and talk with the vet. It's my fault for being lazy about getting back to them

I know she's suffering. I see it in her eyes and what she tells me. I've been talking to my family about it and everyone has agreed to come with us when she goes to the bridge. They have been in her life since she was a wee kitten, and as much as it hurts, I know it's the right thing.

Hubby and I have delayed the idea of moving for now, as it feels like the only reason we'd be moving is because she is gone. In the mean time, my other kids are getting checked out at another vet just in case. I am thinking I will have Majik checked by another vet as well, for a second opinion. I know she's not doing well, but I'd like to be sure before anything else happens.

So I gotta run, going to call our regular vet and see if we can get in today if possible. Hopefully by Friday or Saturday if not today.

Last edited by marko; August 26th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
The main vet there told us that she is perfectly healthy barring bladder weakness. He didn't say anything else other than that.
Quote:
Winston, she had a vet appointment 6-7 weeks ago, and had all sorts of tests run on her. I thought it was the vet who said she was perfectly healthy, but it was actually a tech, who said she appeared healthy but that they would be running all sorts of tests.
Most vets will tell you what tests they run to confirm a diagnosis and share the results with clients. Did your vet not do this on Monday? If need be, I'd be more than willing to contact a friend that works there to help get you the results. You should bring them along with her if you're going to another vet for a second opinion.

Last edited by marko; August 26th, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

LP & Frenchy, I was under the assumption that she was perfectly healthy when she had all those tests done last time. The vet tech said she appeared healthy but would that they be running additional tests. Monday was to tell me the details of the results of her tests. I wasn't in a stable emotional mood to hear everything he said in regards to the test results, but the bottom line is she has cancer, it's in her lungs and will soon make her very uncomfortable. She's lost weight (she was 7lbs at Christmas, is 4.5 lbs now), and is sleeping all the time. The vet (same vet throughout the whole process), said that her extreme incontinence may be a result of her body wearing down trying to fight the illness. Basically she's exhausted (and sleeping so much) that she may not realize that she has lost her bowels or bladder.

Obviously I was sorely mistaken by what the vet said originally. To me it sounded like she was perfectly healthy I feel horrible that I didn't go see him or call him again sooner, to hear what he had to say.

Not sure how long Majik has, but we are keeping her as comfortable as we can. She's getting spoiled with all kinds of foods (chicken is her favorite), as much canned food as she wants, etc. She's sleeping in the bedroom with us, so she is away from the other pets. She's peed on our bed a few times, so I put one of those plastic bed liners on it for now. She doesn't seem aware of a whole lot, I have to put her nose right on her food, otherwise she bites me, lol.

I am kicking myself in the bottom right now. All the other kids have vet appointments in 2 weeks to check for everything, just in case. I would hate to have this happen to another of my babies because I was too busy with my own life to notice something was off with one of them

Last edited by marko; August 26th, 2010 at 09:36 AM.