Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

EVO Red Meat - how much $$

Wow, am I out of the loop, or am I paying through the nose for this stuff? Just bought a 13 kg bag for $82 plus tax for a total of $92.00!! I remember reading a while back that they didn't want to increase the size of the bag because consumers wouldn't want to pay $100 for a bag of dog food. But here it is pretty much and they still didn't increase the bag size. The store owner apologized, it's gone up by like $14 since I started buying there a few months ago, he says it's the manufacturer. I think I need to switch brands.

That said, what should I go to?? The grrrls didn't do that great (or like) the Orijen 6 fish, and I can't buy anything with chicken or chicken (poultry) fats due to Halo's allergies. I'm not restricted to really high protein foods as the grrrls are just couch (floor) surfers anyhow. So feel free to offer me any suggestions that may be a tad cheaper than the EVO RM has become. But don't worry, the grrrls will continue to eat good food, even if it's still the EVO, I'd just like to shop around a bit maybe.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Doggie Wench

Would you by any chance be affiliated with any Rescues or Shelters? Even as a volunteer? You can try contacting the distributor for Innova in your area and ask if they can sell to you. You have to purchase in large quantities though. When need be, I go to a distributor here in our area and get about 20% off if I purchase for over 400$.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM

I am not sure about the price, but the Instinct brand has a variety of protein bases to choose from... rabbit, duck, etc.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks LP and Masha. LP, I'm not part of a rescue unfortunately, but now that you mention it, I never thought about Shadows old day care owner works for a distributor now. I know they don't carry the EVO brand, but most of the other high quality ones they do. I must give him a call and see what he recommends. He's such a nice fellow, and he loves Shadow to pieces. For one very brief moment in time we thought we may have to either rehome or put Shadow down and he had said if it ever came to that he would take Shadow himself. He was the only person on the planet that I would have given her to.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
chronically insane.

Natura Pet did raise their prices and shrunk their new bags.

A big bag of the EVO red meat is about 80$ at my store. You are not alone. Natura is a very very very good brand though and I highly recommend them to anyone and everyone.

FYI to anyone who doesn't know.. I work a pet food store and if anyone ever has any questions relating to price or basic questions you can feel free to PM me and I can help you out. I have contact with several company reps... I know people from Dogswell, Natura and Wellness specifically and would be more then happy to ask questions on anyones behalf

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM

All Dog Food Manufacturers have raised their prices. Most notable is Natures Variety, a large Bag (30 lbs.) of Lamb now goes for 102.$ Chicken I think is a little less maybe around 90$. It may be a great Food, but there are other equally great Foods.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cat food is sky rocketing in price. I now pay 2.69 (3.04 with tax) for a small 5.5 oz can of Instinct Venison 2.39 for a can of Lamb or chicken.. I find it is cheaper for me to make homemade raw for my cats (costs about 50 cents a day ). I supplement them with cat food just to make sure they are getting all their vitamins, but as I learn more and more about homemade raw, I am feeding them less and less cat food.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey