Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM

Overweight lab! Dry dog food suggestions?

My sister has an overweight lab. He had issues with his legs and had to have 2 surgeries and therefore is not allowed to run around to burn off energy/calories. Right now she feeds him Canadae and the vet is suggesting she switch to the Hills Science Diet Weight Management. However, one of the first ingredients is corn which we want to stay away from.

What are some good quality dry foods for weight management?
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Consider keeping him on the same food but gradually cut it down so he is getting less of it. Many people add in cooked green beans so the dog still gets to eat a bigger amount of food. Add them in gradually too. If you buy them make sure to get no sodium if you buy canned. Green beans have a zero glycemic index so will not add weight.

If the Canadae is a good food for him and you still want a different food I suggest looking for another food with the same main proteins and filler sources and the same protein and fat percentages but lower kcal/cup.
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:00 PM

I agree about keeping him on the same food, just decrease the amount you give gradually. And if it seems like too little try to spread small meals out over the day instead of just one or two meals. I have a dog who I think is a little overweight so started slowly decreasing the amount given and it has worked great. Also I wish the doggy a speedy recovery as he heals. Is he allowed to go on walks? or no activity at all?
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Older thread I know, but i've never been a believer in the same food over and over. Vets recommend hills, I wouldn't feed it to a dog. My girlfriends has 2 dogs, they eat different meals, yes they get switched up between beef, poultry and fish based - and I agree with the OP on corn, it shouldn't be.

Buy a better quality of food without the corn and grains, cut back the amounts. We have an overweight lab/husky cross that was 20 pounds overweight (88 pounds starting out), she eats acana now and only gets 2 cups a day and she's not starving by any means. She likes carrots and such and will get different veggies through the day as treats. So far she's down 9 pounds, much more stamina and energy, she's getting her muscle mass back. I find when using a better quality food, the dog needs less.

Lots of exercise as well
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Most vets suggest you feed your pet(s) Hills Science pet food b/c that is what they sell . The vets want to made more $$$ . I was a vet and one of the vet that worked there told that Hills Science is "no good" . I was surprise she told me this but she was not owner of the place. I am sure the vet that owned it would not had been happy knowing this. My last dog and the one I have now hate Hills Science food dog.