Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Surprise Kittens

Hi, I am looking for feed back.
We adopted a stray feline that showed up with a bad injury. We nursed her back to health and she became part of the family. She was spaded on March 4th. At that time she was examined for pregnancy and test was negative. We let her run around freely with ease of mind and yesterday morning found her nursing three kittens. I called the vet who was very surprised and will call me back after speaking to his assistant. Has this happened to any of you and do you think that she will have to be spaded again? Looking for answers.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Kitty pimp

okay thats weird maybe she adopted them ?

i cannot imagine not seeing a pregnency while being spayed
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

When you spay a cat you remove ovaries and uterus. It is not possible for a cat to get pregnant after being spayed.

Either your cat adopted some kittens or your vet charged you for a surgery that wasn't done.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Kitty pimp

if thiey are not hers would she be able to nurse them and if not how will they feed?
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM

She had the kittens in her cat house and there are all the signs that she gave birth. She had a pretty big stomach last week and we thought it was because of gopher season. As for the vet, I took the cat in the morning and picked her up that evening with the stiches on her belly. It is strange that she carried the babies and I figure if the justation period is 9-10weeks she may have been 1 or 2 weeks when she was sprayed...
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

As LavenderRott said - no way, no how. As soon as the female is given sedation if there is a pregnancy the fetus' would die. That was explained to me when I thought there was a possibility of pregnancy with one or two of mine. If she was spayed then she obviously adopted these kittens. Yes, she can still lactate. Nice that she is doing that. Is she allowed to run outside? I would try to move her and kittens to a safe place.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM

I thought if a dog or cat was spayed while pregnant, it terminated the pregnancy? Or is that only if they know that the animal is pregnant and go looking for it?

I'm surprised that your vet didn't ask you to bring her in, I would have thought that they'd want to make sure mama and babies were healthy, too. At any rate, congratulations on the kittens... and I hope that your vet has some answers for you, and that everybody is healthy and happy.

LOL 14+ posted at the same time as me and answered my question about the spaying.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Then it seems to me that the vet did not spay her. Yes, she will have to be done as obviously she was not before. Try a different vet.
Gestation is 60 to 68 days btw.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 5th, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Surgical altering is the only foolproof and permanent method of birth control for cats. A spay is the surgical removal of the uterus and ovaries of a female animal.
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/spay-neuter.html

You need to have a nice long chat with your vet.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree--a very long talk with your vet. Bring a tape recorder.

Proper spaying would prevent pregnancy and terminate pregnancy 100%. If you're sure she delivered those kittens, then your vet charged you fraudulently and has some explaining to do.

When he supposedly spayed her, did she come home with stitches?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso87 View Post
As for the vet, I took the cat in the morning and picked her up that evening with the stiches on her belly. It is strange that she carried the babies and I figure if the justation period is 9-10weeks she may have been 1 or 2 weeks when she was sprayed...
If she was only 1 or 2 weeks when she was "spayed" then the vet would not even have known she was pregnant. She definetely was not spayed.

Old May 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Thank you all. Your comments really helped. I will be speaking with that vet tomorrow and expect compensation. I will shedule her with another vet as soon as possible. She is doing fine. We have her house set up comfortably and safely. The kittens are very clean, comfortable and each has a full belly. Thank You
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
If she was only 1 or 2 weeks when she was "spayed" then the vet would not even have known she was pregnant. She definetely was not spayed.
I missed the stitches part...

This is just incredible, kpaso. Please make sure you keep us updated on what the vet says!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso87 View Post
Thank you all. Your comments really helped. I will be speaking with that vet tomorrow and expect compensation. I will shedule her with another vet as soon as possible. She is doing fine. We have her house set up comfortably and safely. The kittens are very clean, comfortable and each has a full belly. Thank You

Please be aware that she can not be spayed until the kittens are fully weaned. Usually at around 8 weeks. A lot of vets will not do it until the milk has dried up and her mammary glands have shrunk. There is more chance of problems arising with the spaying. She can, however, have another heat cycle so please make sure she is not allowed to run free. Please let the new vet know that she is nursing. They will make an appointment for you for the appropriate time.

Old May 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

14+kittens is correct, do not have her spayed until she is fully finished lactating and yes she can go into heat anytime after giving birth (if she wasn't spayed).

There is no way a spayed cat can have kittens. There have been some instances where an ovary has been missed and a cat has gone into heat, but since the uterus has been removed, she can't get pregnant. Is there another female cat around that could have carried these kittens?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Well first off,, kittens are sooo cute. Second, this vet either did not spay this cat. Don't know who he spayed but it wasn't your's. I think he owes you a big explaination and a free spaying for your cat. Someone suggested a different vet, that is an idea too, but I think you should get what you paid for or a full refund, because now you have 3 little furries to find homes for.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM

I heart kittens! Post some pics please...
It's too bad that this happened with your vet, I am extremely interested to hear what he has to say.

btw, you SPAY a cat, a SPADE is a card.
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

After you have a long talk with your vet and hopefully come home with the money he charged you for a surgery he obviously did not perform, I'd take her to another vet. If she is in fact caring for kittens that aren't hers then having another check her out to make sure she in fact was or was not spayed is a good idea.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:40 PM

from the sound of it, she may have been more pregnant that just 2 wks. Or your vet just didnt do the spay. at any rate, a cat CAN and has been known to adopt kittens that are not hers and raise them as her own. even though she has been spayed, she can still lactate. the kittens suckling from herwill trigger it. i have seen it happen numerous times.

id be finding out the truth about what happened at the vets, and tape it, you can purchase small tape recorders that they wont even notice. in order to get them to open up, say that you can understand how mistakes can be made, that its just baffling to you and you are trying to understand it. then start asking questions about policies on spaying pregnant cats. i know in ontario, they have to close mom back up if she is noticably pregnant.

explain the situation. try to make them feel that you are ther emore for info to HELP HER AND THE KITTENS, rather than being on a hunt for who screwed up. remember, honey works better than vinager to catch a bear.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlasmom View Post
i know in ontario, they have to close mom back up if she is noticably pregnant.
I'm sorry bearlasmom, but where are you getting your info? As soon as the cat is given anesthetic the kittens die. Sorry for being blunt. I have taken cats in to get fixed who I thought may be pregnant and that is the info I was given. If the cat is noticably pregnant they will still do the operation. Maybe not in all places but all I have spoken to.

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 8th, 2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM

In my experience, some vets will do it and some won't...probably the pro-life ones.

IMO it's not a very nice thing to do to a cat - spaying her while she's pregnant. If I had the slightest inkling that a cat was pregnant, I would wait until I knew for sure...and then I would let her have the kitties and try to find homes for them. A difficult job, I know, but better than an abortion that she doesn't even know is happening.

Don't get me wrong, forum members, I'm totally pro-spay (and pro-choice, as far as humans go) but I just couldn't bring myself to spay a pregnant cat.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I'm sorry bearlasmom, but where are you getting your info? As soon as the cat is given anesthetic the kittens die. Sorry for being blunt. I have taken cats in to get fixed who I thought may be pregnant and that is the info I was given. If the cat is noticably pregnant they will still do the operation. Maybe not in all places but all I have spoken to.
You are right, 14+, vets here in Ontario can do abortions and spay at the owners request.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post
In my experience, some vets will do it and some won't...probably the pro-life ones.

IMO it's not a very nice thing to do to a cat - spaying her while she's pregnant. If I had the slightest inkling that a cat was pregnant, I would wait until I knew for sure...and then I would let her have the kitties and try to find homes for them. A difficult job, I know, but better than an abortion that she doesn't even know is happening.

Don't get me wrong, forum members, I'm totally pro-spay (and pro-choice, as far as humans go) but I just couldn't bring myself to spay a pregnant cat.
I used to think this way too until I fostered Sweet Pea and her kittens and found how exhausting it was for her and I honestly did not think she was happy at all. It broke my heart to see her have to nurse these kittens every 1-2 hours for three weeks, she never slept for three weeks keeping a vigil over her babies:sadshe was an excellent momma). It is just not the same as a human having a baby. Once her kittens were gone (five months later, I wanted to make sure they were altered before going up for adoption), her wonderful, playful, loving personality came out.

I was lucky, she didn't have any complications and I didn't loose any of the kittens, even though they got very sick.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old May 8th, 2008, 08:47 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post

This is waaayyy of topic, sorry!
You are entitled to your opinion. That's what makes this a great forum. I used to feel somewhat the same. But after dealing with the results of all of these pregnancies on a daily basis it didn't take long for me to change my mind. It isn't easy to find homes for cats. Not even when they are cute little kitties. I tried last year. That's why I now have 16 full grown cats (not that I would give them up) in my catuary. I still have 3 feral females to catch and fix. I have one going in Sunday to get fixed. She just had a litter. None survived. Not to mention the cute little kitties (somewhere around 8) that I have to either find homes for or will end up keeping. Probably the latter because of the fact that.......it's spring. Cats have kittens in the spring. There is an influx of kittens. What makes mine so special?
I have a weekly food bill for the cats of 50 to 75 dollars. And that is for cheaper food because I can't afford more than that. Some weeks I can't afford that but I scrape it together. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. But it's gotta end somewhere. So if it's with an abortion, so be it.

Old May 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm throwing my here too. Cats don't see things like we do. A few months after I spayed Oksana I found myself wondering what her kittens might have looked like, had I not spayed her and neutered Vlad. But upon reading some of the issues of pregnant cats, from on this board and from people on other forums, I realized I could not have done that to Oksana. She's a small cat and I don't even want to think about how much it would have taken it's toll on her. Not to mention, I'd be incredibly afraid of anything happening to her. If I lost her because of a pregnancy I could have prevented, I never would have forgiven myself.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/