Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old December 31st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

you mean fteer? (egyptian pizza)? mmmmmmmmmmmm..sooo fattening though. but oh so good.

Darnit I'm hungry again now. I wonder if my brother and his wife could smuggle me some food when they come in a week?
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Flyball Mom

Yes that is definitely what I mean!

LOL I ordered a veggie pizza there expecting the Pizza Pizza veggie, however, was very surprised when I bit into what tasted like a pea and found green beans and peas on my pizza... just didn't seem to go.

If your brother can smuggle you some food, I'm on my way there!!!!

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Btw byrd, im sort of compiling a recipe book (with pictures- a sort of look and cook) for my sil and the future women in our family as my mom is a ridiculously good cook. Once I have a few more recipes I'll be emailing them off to my sil in egypt ( she's canadian) as she's been wanting to cook some egyptian/arab food sometimes. I could send you a copy if u like once the recipes have grown a bit - I just started this xmas break...I'm trying to make it as explicit as possible (even for things that to me growing up in my mothers kitchen would be 'obvious' since my sil is not familiar at all with that type of cooking)
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah, ure too fast for me lol. but what to smuggle? hmmmmm..my dream list. *drool*. You should have your man learn off his mom so he can do his share of the cooking too

greeen beans and peas? lol that is kind of odd! Ive never tried fteer stuffed with stuff. Just plain fteer. lol ok thats it Im going to make a list of Egypt must do's.
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Flyball Mom

Weeeel if you're going to be e-mailing copies of it out anyway....

We also had the custard fteer... mmmmmmm

Mohab is learning some stuff, but he is male, and not really allowed in the kitchen.

How does your SIL like it as a Canuk in Egypt?

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Onsterplease forward to me a recipe for tabouleh (spelling?) it is one dish that I have had made by a Lebonese friend a long time ago and really enjoyed it. I have had it in resturants and made by others but it just was not the same. the one I had if I remember correctly had a wonderful fresh lemon taste with bulgar and parsley, I think is the main ingredient? I recall that it is one dish that is so refreshing on the palate that it makes your mouth sing patti
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:54 PM
-

For those who always wondered , this is the perfect example of a thread jack
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

She's doing ok. She went through the intial "everything's great" stage when they first went over ( they live in sharm)...then she went through the "i miss my friends and family" and being able to just do stuff for myself stage and was quite upset (probably an under statement) but then she started to work too and I guess got into the groove of things. She likes it now and is starting to know more people, learn bits of the language which generally allows her to gain more of her independance back which she missed. This will be their first visit back since their wedding in July.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Flyball Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
You've got it!!! However, he did say he didn't mind.

I really don't think I could handle moving somewhere so different from home. I would definitely have to live in a real touristy area just so that I could wear more 'regular' clothes and not stick out like a complete sore thumb.

Old December 31st, 2007, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL frenchy...garf said it was okay we have to enterain ourselves somehow until we get to see elvis's pics, no?

Sure thing patti, will do soon. I know what you mean about the lemony thing..thats what gets me the most about 'fake' taboulehs...where is that tang??? Ive been known to slice up a lemon and eat it so I really need to have that lemon taste. Also the bulgar tends to be crunchy and they put soooo much of it. Yep, the main ingredient is parsley. Its basically parsely tomatoes, a little bit of fresh mint, bulgar, lemon, salt and pepper.

Byrd, yep...sharm is toursity to the max, she wears all the clothes she wore here. Definately more open there.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Btw byrd, im sort of compiling a recipe book (with pictures- a sort of look and cook) for my sil and the future women in our family as my mom is a ridiculously good cook. Once I have a few more recipes I'll be emailing them off to my sil in egypt ( she's canadian) as she's been wanting to cook some egyptian/arab food sometimes. I could send you a copy if u like once the recipes have grown a bit - I just started this xmas break...I'm trying to make it as explicit as possible (even for things that to me growing up in my mothers kitchen would be 'obvious' since my sil is not familiar at all with that type of cooking)
PLEEEAAAASE, me too, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
Onsterplease forward to me a recipe for tabouleh (spelling?) it is one dish that I have had made by a Lebonese friend a long time ago and really enjoyed it. I have had it in resturants and made by others but it just was not the same. the one I had if I remember correctly had a wonderful fresh lemon taste with bulgar and parsley, I think is the main ingredient? I recall that it is one dish that is so refreshing on the palate that it makes your mouth sing patti
Tabouleh is (according to me) bulgur, chopped flat-leaf parsley, chpooed mint, chopped tomato and chopped onion (mild), plus lemon juice - all fresh of course!!

Quote:
Nooo oh dear ...
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Flyball Mom

I liked Dahab, if I were to move to Egypt that's where I'd definitely have to live. However, my idea of a job is a 'man's job'. I would love to conduct horseback riding tours or something like that. LOL

Here's what I found: http://mideastfood.about.com/od/soup...ulehrecipe.htm

Old December 31st, 2007, 09:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post

Nooo oh dear ...
it's alright , you have the ok from the OP.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
it's alright , you have the ok from the OP.
Phew! Thank dawg!
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:16 PM
Flyball Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by garf View Post
NO NO dont stop. please keep going. this is fun. i didnt that many people liked egypt.
Yup... see.... the proof is in the pudding.... mmmm rice pudding.

Old December 31st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Good save there Sarah! forget about the onion! yes onion = needed. Some people use green onions/ shallots because they are milder. Oh oh and olive oil! need some olive oil for sure.

For sure I can send it to you too once it gets a little bigger. Its not going to be explicitly egyptian though because my mother grew up in egypt, iraq, sudan and we lived in saudi, the uae...and all along the way she learned recipes from friends etc. One thing I can guarantee though is that it will be Good! *yum*.

Theres this really intersting blog I read byrd and guess what..the woman is candian was married to an egyptian (he passed away :sad but she continued to live in egypt and now has a farm with many dogs and horses and now runs a riding school/ tours into the desert on the horses etc. Cool eh?

http://miloflamingo.blogspot.com/
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

No no, chocolate!
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

but chocolate pudding is too untexturey. lol , yes i make up words all the time.

poor garf though his thread has been threadjacked to the max! Its all girls talking about recipes...and knowng the typical egyptian male I dont think hes in the kitchen much
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:22 PM
Flyball Mom

Rice pudding is very popular with hubby.

hhhmmm so I could have my dream in Egypt.

Old December 31st, 2007, 09:29 PM
Flyball Mom

Here Sarah, incase you're interested: http://mytriptoegypt.blogspot.com/
and http://twoweeksinheaven.blogspot.com/

Pardon all the political crap in the first one. I haven't gotten around to finishing the third one yet (http://wedding-trip.blogspot.com I have to write them backwards to that they will appear the right way when done).

Last edited by Byrd; December 31st, 2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, I'll have a read tomorrow
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM

WOW, you guys post alot of stories!! glad my thread is growing so fast! and this is just the first of many (hopefully). however i am amazed how this went from my problem with elvis to making taboula and feteer, this is a classic example of an egyptian conversation if 2 or more females (over 30 and preferably mums) are present or are in the vicinity (kidding!, but thats the way it is in my family!) and your right onster, the only thing i can make in the kitchen is probably a reservation! and thats only because we have a phone in there!
i dont have time to reply to everything ive read right now cos i have to board my plane now but ill continue this later cos theres some interesting stuff here!
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, we're a chatty bunch, of mostly females, so your analysis isn't totally off It's the same in my family in France, and Lewis' family here in Montreal ... we do tend to have 2 or 3 (or even more) conversations going at the same time over the dinner table, yet everyone manages to keep the thread of each one. Try that in Norway, and everyone is lost right away
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Flyball Mom

Seems to be a Canadian thing.

Old January 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Flyball Mom

Right now I'm trying Doum tea for the first time.... not quite sure yet how I feel about it.

Old January 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Doum tea? No idea ... what's that?
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Flyball Mom

Doum is a fruit that grows in Egypt, it kinda looks like a shrivelled up kiwi. LOL The tea, tastes like Egypt, how's that.

I bought a tea set when I was there it has Doum, Liquorice, Hibiscus, Green, Lemon, and Carob teas and came with a glass that says "Isis" which is actually why I bought it. LOL

Old January 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

lol garf, im neither a mum nor other 30, im 21...but I guess u have to start sometime!

Doum? Is that the arabic name? Must look up online.