Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Unhappy Help my weim has chronic diarrhea

OK I need some advise. My 15month old Weimaraner, named Charlie, has had diarrhea for quite some time..most of his life. WE took him to the university hospital and found that he had intestinal interception.... so we had emergency surgery. The vet removed a small portion of his colon and tacked his stomach so that he doesn't get bloat. They said that this should fix his diarrhea with in 4-6 weeks. Well we gave him rx diet id for 2 weeks like instructed then put him on taste of the wild bison and venison formula. Charlie loves his food but is not anywhere close to an optimal popper. We gave him some holistic pills...diarrhea relief by hamper. This isn't helping. We haven't had 1 even semi soft poop since his surgery. What do you feed your weimaraner? Now don't get me wrong we have tried all the other treatments boiled chicken and rice... oatmeal... pumpkin its all not working. Any advise would be awesome. I feel like I need to add that CHarlie is healthy otherwise and a very happy active dog. We go to daycare 3 days a week and the park every saturday and sunday. I love my weimaraner more than anything and hate that I cant figure this out.....
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Ask your vet if you can use Imodium. When Miss Trya gets the poops, he tells me to use 1/2 cap. But she is only 14 pounds. Hope your fur kid feels a lot better soon.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Metronidazole (flagyl) is wonderful for chronic diarrhea. It is a prescription drug, actually an antibiotic for the bowel, but is generally used more for the calming soothing effect it has on the digestive system. It really has no side effects, many liver dogs are on it for years.

My diabetic pug has been on a low daily dose for about 6 months now, and has been absolutely perfect ever since. Without it, she has diarrhea every few days. I know many others that use it as well, and have never heard anything as side effects.

I should add, that this may sound contrary, but more fibre can soak up some of that liquid in the gut, and slow down the digestion to help as well. Insoluble fibre will be best.
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:46 PM

I have had him on flagyl before with no results... i haven't tried immodium.... or fiber.. thanks for the advise guys!
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM

My in-laws have a GSD with an auto-immune disease and as a result, this is an issue they constantly face as well.
I'm not sure of the name of the medication he's on, but I do know (from puppy-sitting him) that they add a bit of pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, just pure pumpkin) to each of his meals.

It's a great source of fibre, completely natural, and has really helped him.
Plus, he thinks it's a great "treat" at each meal.

Best of luck. I hope you find something that works for you and Charlie. I just love weimeraners - such a beautiful breed.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I used to give Immodium to a Boo (Neo Mastiff) he also had issues. I would give him 1 tab and let that work and if he was still loose I would give him one later in the day. He was 195 pounds so you would need to speak to your vet about dosage. Also whole wheat pasta mixed in with the kibble a little everyday and he loved it. I found that really helped. Good luck
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Bone meal?

Maybe a bit of bone meal might work.

I used to give my dogs beef marrow bones, and once in a while they would actually swallow small pieces of bone (that's why I don't do it any more, I would worry about them being able to digest the bone.)

What I noticed was the day after they ate the bone, they would be slightly constipated, and their poop would be very dry and compacted. They managed to digest the bone, (it would come out in their poop like a dry, chalky powder), but it obviously had a very drying effect on their stools - it probably absorbed a lot of moisture as it was going through their intestines.

So possibly if you added a little bit of bone meal to a dog's food it might have the same effect.

I found steamed, powdered bone meal at my local pet store. It says on the container that you can use it to supplement a dog's diet if they're deficient in calcium by adding a few spoonfuls to their food.
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Just as something to consider, when my dog first had runny poops it turned out to be because I was feeding her too much. These better foods now can be processed much better than the junk we used to get to feed them, and they really don't need as much. I find that usually the amount suggested on the bag is more than my girls need. So it's something you could look at in the mix. My lab x has allergies and frequently gets runny poops and I find cutting back the food a bit and adding pumpkin always gets her sorted out. Good luck to you, I know how frustrating this issue is, and on such a long term basis it can't be good for the dog either.
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:30 AM

similiar bowel problems

We too have been experiencing similar bowel problems, our golden lab/ret cross has had chronic diarrhea now for over a year and a half. We have done all types of blood tests and biopsies after exploratory surgery and a prolapsed bowel from straining. They too found the intersuption and removed a piece of colon, though I believe they thought of this as more of a result of the diarrhea and strain, rather than the cause of the diarrhea. We never found anything useful from any tests, other that high white blood which they believed was just from the inflammation. We too have been on alot of different drugs and foods to try and see if anything changes, but so far no luck We are actually in a bad position right now with him as he is refusing to eat anything and is losing a significant amount of weight - poor guy is pretty much skin and bone... we are trying to seek other methods or food to try. So please, let me know if you find something that works. I think I am going to try the pumpkin, thats the first I have heard of this.