Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 15th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Retriever Fever

Red face Baby on the way...

Hi everyone,

I've been told that I should share my big news broadly - just wasn't sure where to post it!!

Toby is going to have a little (non-furry) brother join him this fall! I think he will adjust just fine. He grew up with my two eldest nieces (now 4 and 7) and last year got along great with another niece (now 1) when she was just tiny.

I've been watching all the baby shows on the learning channel - not so much to scare myself , but to get Tobes used to screaming baby noises well in advance. It doesn't seem to faze him too much. Sometimes he looks up, wondering where the noise is coming from, but that's about it.

So - I've been reading up on preparing fido for baby's arrival. Any tips are most welcome!!!

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
-

wooohoo ! Again , congratulations , take care of yourself and I hope you don't leave us for www.kids.ca

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any tips, but I wanted to say Congrats
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats!!! I would make sure that your pet knows the smell of the baby's room - get him used to it and let him see the baby's things - as you prepare for the baby. If your pet is used to being on your lap, he may not be too happy to see an infant on it later so get him used to that - that other things can be there as well as him. You are already doing the baby related noises so that's good - you might also try some of the toddler type shows since infants do stay that way for very long. If you know anyone with children, invite them i nso he is accustomed to kids.

Some people also use a baby doll to help your pet get used to the real thing. Carry around a swaddled baby doll, take the doll in the stroller when you walk your dog, and use the doll to get your pet used to routine baby activities, such as bathing and diaper changing. That may apply to the lap as well.

Talk to your pet about the baby, using the baby's name if you've selected one. Also, sprinkle baby powder or baby oil on your skin so your pet becomes familiar with the new smells.

When my brother arrived when I was a child, we had a very jealous fox terrier who had been the baby of the family so she was none too happy. Soon, however, she realized her instincts and I'd like to think her good nature and training (Ha) and became the watch dog par excellence. Anyone wanting to visit the new baby had to get by her and good luck if you did not have permission from the leaders of the pack. Then, she followed him around and ate off his tray, lol Of course, it is no small wonder he now has two dogs, the chocolate lab being one.

Good luck!! Pregnancy is a joy, nothing to fear, really!!! Do you have a good obstetrician? You know you can now get the 3D digital scans of your baby - I have the scans of my nieces from the time she was very early in the womb. Ask your hospital - each one has different policies. Granted, I know you are a way off from that yet!

Take care!!!!!
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hi there!! Congrats, so exciting!!!

I know the spca here in Calgary does a course called OLD DOG NEW BABY, not sure if you can find one in your area. It's was inexpensive, was only 2 hours long, you don't bring your dog, but friends of mine took this class even tho they did obedience class with their lab who is sich a good dog, and they said it was just a refresher on what behaviors to accept and ignore....they said it was really helpful, basic, but helpful.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Retriever Fever

Thanks everyone!

This is definitely most exciting for all of us. Toby has never been a 'lap' dog for me because since day 1 he has been way too big to fit on my lap! He fits on my husband's lap a little but he doesn't usually find it too comfy!

Great advice on letting him check out all the baby's things. We haven't got the stroller yet, but I could see him looking at it like its a four-wheeled monster. We haven't accumulated too much gear yet but everytime something comes into our place for the baby he gets to sniff it thoroughly. I'm sure there will be much toy-stealing when we are not looking! Whenever he's around my nieces and their toys he always has that look of "are you SURE I can't have it? I would appreciate it more! Let me prove it to you! pleeeeeeeeeaaase????" heh heh

The cutest baby-dog interaction so far is that he seems to like resting his chin on my belly these days (when we are sitting on the same level that is). Maybe because its nice and warm!! (warmer than usual!)

p.s. cyberkitten - I have a really great obstetrician. We like her quite a bit. Whenever another expecting mom asks who my OB is, I usually get the response "oooooooo. I hear she is REALLY GOOD."

Let the fun begin!
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How exciting, Tmac! Wooohooo!

Never had kids (too many dogs...no room ) but it sounds like others have some good advice for you. It sounds like Toby is already enjoying kids, so this should be pretty stress-free!

congratulations!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad to hear you have a good obgyn - that's great!!!! It occurs to me as I watch my brother's dogs interact with my nieces (18 mos and 7 yrs) that the dogs have their toys and the kids are not allowed to play with them and the big Chocolate lab - who is the biggest baby in the house- loves his toys but never steals the baby's stuff. He lets her lie on him and kisses her. The other is a lassa apso and I like him but I have to admit I am partial to labs. He loves to play with the kids as well but is not as cued in to watching them and as careful as the lab. He will imitate them tho and it is rather cute! Obviously, a lab is too big to try some of those things.

I think dogs and children co exist very well and there is the added benefit that children who grow up in houses with pets gain so much!! They are more caring (usually) and on the medical side, are less likely to have allergies to pets and even other substances. (Which leads me to question these people who surrender pets to various shelters claiming their children are allergic. It's usually a "Give me a break time" when I hear that! So many allergies even can be controlled - I cannot imagine anyone giving up a family member because of that! I say that as someone who sees children with bone marrow transplants happily playing with their dogs and cats and bunnies that is a LOT more serious than any allergy! (Tho occasionally, allergies can be deadly but as a rule, they are less serious than leukemia!!)
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Retriever Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
and on the medical side, are less likely to have allergies to pets and even other substances. (Which leads me to question these people who surrender pets to various shelters claiming their children are allergic. It's usually a "Give me a break time" when I hear that! So many allergies even can be controlled - I cannot imagine anyone giving up a family member because of that! I say that as someone who sees children with bone marrow transplants happily playing with their dogs and cats and bunnies that is a LOT more serious than any allergy! (Tho occasionally, allergies can be deadly but as a rule, they are less serious than leukemia!!)
Yeah, Toby's first family gave him up to the local shelter at 10 months for the reason that their "child developed allergies to him". Personally I think the real story is more likely to be that they had young kids and a very young dog and they found him too big and boisterous and couldn't manage. Admittedly he was pretty wild and crazy when we adopted him (couldn't get a good look at his face the first time we met him cuz he was moving too fast!)
Now that he is 3, he has totally calmed down and is a great and obedient dog!! (Hallelujah!)

Although I'm sure many many people use allergies as just an excuse, I can understand some cases where it is very true and devastating. For instance, my cousin is so allergic to cats that he has had to be hospitalized several times after being exposed while visiting other people's cats. Fortunately there were no cats in their house at the time this all came to a head so nobody was surrendered to the pound or anything.

The only allergies in our house are: husband - cats, me - grass pollen, and Toby - tree pollen. So far, no dog allergies! I would be HUGELY surprised if this baby (or any future ones) turned out to be allergic to dogs, given the daily exposure to gobs of dog hair lying around my house!!! So I guess you can say we are doing the good deed of avoiding future dog allergies by ensuring our unborn child is as exposed to as much dog hair as possible while in utero! HAHA!
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Boss-lady!

Congrats on your big news!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
-

I've never had kids either so don't have any tips but just wanted to say....

Congratulations !!!
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
Hi there!! Congrats, so exciting!!!

I know the spca here in Calgary does a course called OLD DOG NEW BABY, not sure if you can find one in your area. It's was inexpensive, was only 2 hours long, you don't bring your dog, but friends of mine took this class even tho they did obedience class with their lab who is sich a good dog, and they said it was just a refresher on what behaviors to accept and ignore....they said it was really helpful, basic, but helpful.

There was a spot done on Regional Contact about a woman who will come to your house when you have your baby and teach you how to have the new baby and the dog interact.

sorry I can't remember her name, but I am sure if you did a search on the internet or call CJOH they could tell you.

congrats on your new arrival!!!!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Congrats .i have no tips.
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Congrats! I, like angeldogs, have no tips. No skin kids here, unless you consider my fiance a child.