Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Smile Dogo Argentino

Does anyone own a dogo argentino? I've been researching them and I am interested in owning one, I have two children and I was wondering if they are good with kids? Just trying to look for more information on the breed if anyone has any that would help me in my decision. Thank you!!!
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Honest Contributor

hmm definitely not a dog for everyone... you may want to ask your questions here: http://www.dogo.org/message_boards/active.asp Do read the posts first to get a feel of that forum, they're pretty hard-core and protective of their breed (understandibly). Specially with all the BSL going on, you can't own a dogo just anywhere. good luck!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

No, definetly not a dog for everyone...

So you decided against an English Cocker Spaniel?
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28667
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Have a look in your area for breeders. Go to a few dog shows and ask around there for breeders. get to know them. A good breeder would help you out.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

that is a drastic change in dogs you are considering
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Honest Contributor

from what i know... a reputable dogo breeder will not sell to a "novice" home... and you do NOT want to get a dogo from a puppy mill or a byb, that is spelling big trouble for all sorts of reasons .. my

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM

hi, i would be happy to talk to you about the breed, I own one, and just lost one to kidney disease. They are NOT for everyone, but they are an excellent dog in many situations. BSL IS a problem and I get harassed ALL the time by people on the street who want me to muzzle my fing pitbulls. because they are such a - they are easily lumped in as BSL candidates, the most important thing to remember is that dgos need to set an example, to ensure that dogos dont start to get bad press, I keep my girls leashed in the park and allow them offleash only in enclosed areas etc. I could go on.
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Dogos's are loving and out going dogs. They have a goofy attitude but can be very protective of there's. Many Dogos's are owner protective by naiture, They do not need to be pressured into attack. It comes natural as any dog. Although with thier large structure and build, they can cause serious damage. Does that make them a bad breed? No not at all, they just need the correct and educated owner.

If you are a novice Dog owner wanting to own a Dogo, it is best to go to a reputable breeder and trainer in your area. Get the ins and outs of the breed by seeing them in action first hand. This is not a breed for everyone.

We need to protect the breed and others. So please if you are serious about this breed do your leg work first and for most. This is not a breed to jump into and then ruin.