Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:02 AM

Thinking between 2 breed, need advice.

Hi, ive been thinking about getting a dog, choosing between a alaskan malamute or a siberian husky, i know that they are both need lot of effort to train, but i was wondering if that effort is permanantly or only on the training stage, i know that they are active dog and need to walk, but i was wondering if 2-3 miles of running per day would be enough, with a backyard if i can, i will possibly get 2 dog, so maybe the race could make a difference, and make sure he/she wont get bored when im not at home, and off course, i got the feeling that im gonna love my dog as much as i may love my children, playing with him a bunch of time, and give him a lot of affection, buying him a fresh t-bone time by time, and such. And possibly getting some difficult to punish my dog, but it is neccesary i know.

Both breed are similar, but i cant really get the important difference.

Any Advice?

Thank.
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:47 AM

I've never owned either breed, but there is a doggie daycare on the property I live on, and there are 2 Huskies and 1 Malamute that have been coming since puppyhood. They are still challenging dogs, and one of them is 6 now. They need LOTS of exercise, and lots of training and consistency. These guys are all notorious escape artists-they like to wander and will find any fence hole, slip a collar, jump a fence, etc etc. They are sweet and cuddly but bossy haha. Also, consider how hot it is where you live in the summertime-these guys get super hot. They like to lounge in a kiddie pool in the summertime.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:39 AM

I live in Quebec, cold winter but warm summer, i would certainly add a little pool for summer, but i was also wondering if its ok to allow them to sleep with us, on our bed, and if they can be great to spot partridge for hunting.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

we owned a sib when we were younger and man, did HE need a lot of exercise! we'd run him a couple miles and on weekends a friend of ours would add him to her team and take him out for a few hours.....I guess it would depend on each dog how much exercise they'd need and of what type.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'll let others give the advice as to the differences, just wanted to mention that air-conditioning would be important for these breeds in the summertime.

Good luck!
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Sibes are much smaller than mals. They are known to be destructive if not given enough exercise and mental stimulation. You don't want these dogs to become bored. Mals are big dogs. Notorious for not getting along with other dogs, whether they be another dog of the same breed or not. Mals can also jump a 6 ft fence and are known for being very good escape artists. Neither dogs likes heat for obvious reasons, so if you live in a warm climate I would rule them out.
I love both breeds and would prefer a mal to a sib just because of size, but you really need to do some serious research on both of these breeds and make sure you're prepared for what they're all about. There are rescue groups for both as well, so a good idea would be to contact them and find out why some of these dogs are now in rescue to get a better idea of what problems both the breeds have and the challenges in keeping them are.

clm
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Welcome insitent

I have 2 Malamutes. Both Huskies and Malamutes require a lot of work and both are energetic breeds. One of the biggest differences between the 2 is energy level as they mature. Huskies tend to remain energetic even when they mature. Malamutes become more "dignified" and tend to settle down and mature around 3. Huskies are the more energetic of the 2. Huskies are also smaller with more of a "delicate" build, while Malamutes tend to be quite a bit larger with a very sturdy build. Both have their challenges, one being a very high prey drive and another being intelligence. If you don't keep them challenged both physicaly and mentally, they can be very destructive. You need to keep them from getting bored
If you do get either breed, I would recommend socializing with small dogs and children from the time it's a pup. Even with the socialaztion, I would never leave it alone with either one. Also, they like to wander. Some people will tell you that a Mal and Husky can be trained for 100% recall, but I would never let either one off leash. Both breeds are very independant and definitely have a mind of their own, regardless of how well they're trained. We chose to go with the Malamute because they are just so dignified and regal once they do mature, and again, the energy level is much lower. Just make sure you do some research on both breeds as many of them end up in shelters because people think they're beautiful but don't take the time to get to know the breed. In fact, there are several rescue groups for northern breed dogs. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for there!

Good luck!!

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by Rgeurts; May 9th, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Sibes are much smaller than mals. They are known to be destructive if not given enough exercise and mental stimulation. You don't want these dogs to become bored. Mals are big dogs. Notorious for not getting along with other dogs, whether they be another dog of the same breed or not. Mals can also jump a 6 ft fence and are known for being very good escape artists. Neither dogs likes heat for obvious reasons, so if you live in a warm climate I would rule them out.
I love both breeds and would prefer a mal to a sib just because of size, but you really need to do some serious research on both of these breeds and make sure you're prepared for what they're all about. There are rescue groups for both as well, so a good idea would be to contact them and find out why some of these dogs are now in rescue to get a better idea of what problems both the breeds have and the challenges in keeping them are.

clm
LoL, you beat me to it!
Great advice!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by insitent View Post
I live in Quebec, cold winter but warm summer, i would certainly add a little pool for summer, but i was also wondering if its ok to allow them to sleep with us, on our bed, and if they can be great to spot partridge for hunting.
I have no idea about the hunting, but as far as sleeping in bed... our oldest, Thorin, has been sleeping in our bed with us since we first brough him home at 8 weeks, and he's now 11 1/2. Nanook would also sleep with us if he didn't try to "kill" our duvet everytime he got on the bed
I don't know if it's the feel of the matress because it's so soft or the texture of the duvet cover, but everytime we let him on the bed he starts growling, digging at the duvet then starts biting at it. He does have a bit of brain damage, so maybe that's it... who knows

Old May 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Ok, thanks for the info all, and if i get 2 dog, would a malamute would do fine with a husky on the same roof?
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

There is no definitive answer for that. It depends on many factors such as temperament, age etc. As previously stated, Malamutes are often dog aggressive, and very often same sex aggressive. Personally, I wouldn't have both. I would do my research, speak to rescue groups as one of the other members mentioned and choose between one or the other (assuming either breed is even a fit for your lifestyle). Please do not get one until you have done A LOT of research on both breeds. There are too many that are put in shelters and pts daily because people don't understand what they're getting into. One thing you need to consider as well are health problems. Unless you get one from a reputable breeder (or a rescue organization as they make sure all the dogs are vetted before adopting out), you could be looking at all kinds of genetic health issues that will be very costly. Our youngest is a great example of what happens when people who aren't qualified to breed do it anyway. We have spent more than $20,000 in vet bills in 10 months. Good luck

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM

I have 2 sibes, and personally, prefer the smaller size of them compared to a larger malamute.
Mine are both males, littermates, but are as different as can be when it comes to their personallities (which was obvious right from the time we picked them out as puppies). Jasper is more high strung and energetic. Timber is more laid back (dare I say, "lazy"?)

They will be 3 years old this summer. They both LOVE to go running (I recommend buying some proper gear and taking them bicycling for some excercise). They also have a an exteremely high prey drive. That being said, they seem to enjoy the hunt, much more than the kill. They'll go to great lengths to catch a squirrel, mouse, frog, rabbit, etc. But once they actually catch it, they're so delicate, if they do end up killing it, it's usually by accident.

Timber's recall has become quite reliable, and as a result, he gets to spend more and more time off leash. Jasper on the other hand, is very stubborn and independant and we've had mush more difficulties training him on recall.

They are both Extremely social and affectionate. Everyone who meets them can't believe how friendly they are, always wanting to be in the same room with everyone else, and always enjoying meeting new people and dogs. Whether it be adult, toddler, or another dog at a dog park, they've never had a "negative" reaction to anyone they've met.
And yes, they both sleep on the bed

One more crucial point, regardless of which breed you choose, an excellent dog brush is a must! I recommend the furminator
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Ok thank, i will do some research, and i guess that i would get 2 husky if i am ready, because it likely wont be before 2-3 years, since i am still a student, and should be in my job, as a miner in 2 years.

I have seen several guide about husky on google, but some of them are different of other, i was wondering if anyone know a complete guide that are right?
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Oh yes as far as prey drive, one of the Huskies here kills small animals.
I'd say the best "guide" is to email and talk to rescue groups and reputable breeders. If you talk to people in rescue you will learn SO MUCH about the breeds-the good AND the bad. Since you said you're not ready for a couple of years (good for you to start getting prepared in advance-yay!) you'll have lots of time to research and talk to people, and know what you'd be getting into. People who are familiar with the breed will be able to give you a good idea on whether your lifestyle and personality are a good match for the breed. I would also suggest getting involved in rescue if possible-walking dogs, grooming, helping socialize, etc etc. Great way to get to know different personalities within the breed!