Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 30th, 2007, 12:59 PM
The demons' servant

What to do with Lucifer...I mean...Leo?

Well since the summer time when I let the boys out on leashes, Leo's had this OBSESSION with getting out. Until recently it hasn't been much of an issue since we can normally get the door closed fast enough that he can't escape.

We've even attempted to toss him outside in the deepest, grossest, clean snow possible to hopefully stop him from wanting to go outside. It worked...for two days. Followed by another attempt with big fluffy flakes of snow falling on his face at the door, which worked for 3 hours; the snow had stopped and Leo KNEW that!

However, my little devil got out while dad was checking the mail the other day. This led to a small chase where dad almost passed out after trying to catch Leo. Dad shouldn't be running after him since he's only just now finally better enough to start the "real" recovery from his heart attack (So far its been 2 weeks without any emergency hospital visits. Yay!). So dad went back inside to hear Pawz pawing at the back door to see a little devil of mine meowing and looking like he wanted in. So he's back in the house all safe and warm and continuing to plot his next escape.

There doesn't seem to be any way to stop Leo from wanting to go out and I would rather lose my cat for a few hours instead of my dad. I know I'm going to have to get the poor guy a collar and tags again (the old ones have my old Hamilton number on it as well as Arron's). I'm just not sure if there's anything else I can really do to help stop him from getting out/protecting him if dad DOES have to "leave him" out there for a while.

I can't block off the door since Leo jumps too high (we're talking 6 feet here) so any baby gates and such things wouldn't work. And as much fun as those invisible fences for dogs are, I think our landlord would have issues with us tearing up the doors to install them for our cat

I'm not too incredibly worried about Leo. There's not as many cats out. There's a ton and a half of squirrels but since Leo's more "barn" than cat I think he'll either learn to ignore them or start bringing me presents. The dogs around here are usually on leashes and that sort of thing but the neighbour's dog sometimes gets out and he's rather vicious too.

GAH What to do?!

Megan
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Funny thing about cats, they always want what they can't have till they get it then they don't want it anymore.
I don't even have any good advice for you. I had one that liked escaping too. He never went too far, just like to prove to us he could get out if he wanted to. And of course, once the chase started, he loved it. We let him come back on his own accord but kept a close eye on him to see where he went.
Sorry can't be more helpful.
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Have you seen those enlosures you can buy for cats..There are some really nice ones that attach to areas of your home and it is like an enlosure? They are probably expensive but at least Leo wouldnt be able to go anywhere and plus he can enjoy himself?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

But ... you did say you had him out on leash in the summer, right? Why not do that now as well?

Misti goes out on the deck with her leash whenever she wants to. Did it all summer and is still doing it now, even when the snow's coming down heavy!

Am I missing a point here?
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:09 PM
-

Sarah, I think Megan is worried about Leo escaping when they open the door as he seems to have become a little escape artist.

The only thing I can think of is clap your hands or stomp your foot to try to scare him away from the door when you go out. If he's not the scareable type then try throwing a toy for him to chase to give you more time to get the door closed.
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Thought I missed something

Lucky for us, Misti knows she's not allowed out untied, and waits for her leashe to be hooked onto her harness. She never tries for the front door.

Spoutnik ... might be a different matter, he seems more adventurous than she is and ever was.
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Have you seen those enlosures you can buy for cats..There are some really nice ones that attach to areas of your home and it is like an enlosure? They are probably expensive but at least Leo wouldnt be able to go anywhere and plus he can enjoy himself?

Cindy
Duh! Why did I not think of that? I should know about fences, right?
I noticed the landlord thing so I didn't know if a fence was an option?? If it is....... what Winston is refering to is the Houdini fence. And you are right Winston, incredibly expensive.
This is info intensive. When we did ours we used 6 ft chain link fence with the steel posts (not wood because they will climb up that). You say he jumps that high so if you want you can add height to that by adding another smaller width. Mine can jump up that high too but the rest of the fence stops them. I put a 2 foot width strip of chicken wire fence across the top all around the perimeter and fastened it on (every second hole in the fence so heads don't fit through) with cable ties. You can get them at the dollar stores or hardware stores. Cheap. And on top of that..... we have a friend who has a winery and used to make ice wine. He had the netting that they put over the grapes to keep birds away and he gave us some so it went over probably a good 2/3's of the enclosure. The netting is not necessary as the chicken wire at the top seems to stop them. They have been in their catuary for over 3 months now and have yet to escape. Not that they don't try on a daily basis but I think it's a game to them now.
I don't know how your yard is or what trees are around. My babies have their row of trees down the middle but they are far enough away that they don't try to jump from trees to outside of fence. Also, the trees are not mature so they don't climb them yet.
This whole thing is around 1/4 acre in size and cost probably less than $1000
I didn't think that was too bad of a price to pay for my piece of mind. I know they are safe in there.
I'm sorry, I forgot to add...... cats don't like trying to climb aross something upside down which is why the chicken wire across the top works. Didn't believe it till I tried it!!

Last edited by 14+kitties; December 30th, 2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Still, if the issue is mad dashes for the door when it's opened, how will an enclosure help, unless it's right outside the door ... and then you'd have to watch the enclosure exit instead.
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

I think the point is it's mad dashes to the door to get outside so once he's outside.........
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe, yes. Let's hope no landlord issue will stop this brilliant idea from materializing!
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM
150% PRO S/N

I should market my fence, huh?
Joking Mods!!!!!!!!!!!! No selling here.
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

No selling, but anyone can PM you

I was thinking of doing that for the deck, but then I'd have to go all the way out to the edge of it to let the dogs out and down to the garden to pee/poo, and at 5 am in winter ... nah.

Still, with a screen over one half (insects, OUT) and a more solid cover on the other half (no snow and rain over the BBQ), it would make the whole area more user friendly

I'll have to look into that, see how I could swing it
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Sarah, I think Megan is worried about Leo escaping when they open the door as he seems to have become a little escape artist.

The only thing I can think of is clap your hands or stomp your foot to try to scare him away from the door when you go out. If he's not the scareable type then try throwing a toy for him to chase to give you more time to get the door closed.
No not the scareable type. He's too "barn" for that one. His parents gave him good genes which is why I wouldn't be AS worried if Leo got out rather than Pawz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I think the point is it's mad dashes to the door to get outside so once he's outside.........
Yeah that would be it.

There's nothing around here for the front door as far as putting up fences or anything. The backyard is mostly fenced in but there's still a good 5 inch gap underneath the fences. There's an opening for people to walk in/out of too. If we were to block it all off (ie. gate and other things underneath the fence) it would a) cost a lot and b) has to "fit in" with a ton of different weird rules in the complex.

I wouldn't mind building a fenced in area, but since I'm living with the 'rents, I'm hoping that at some point in the next five years I'm gonna be outta here. LOL I love my parents, but NOT enough to live with them for the rest of my life (To say nothing of the kajillion other financial complications that will inevitably arise in about ten years anyways)

I can try the toy thing, but its more the mad dash to the door with dad. For myself, my mom, and my brother its not an issue per se if he tries to get out: he's "afraid" of my brother, and my mother and I are too quick for the door to stay open too long. The trick is going to be convincing dad to take said toy WITH HIM everytime he goes near the door. He's got his heart pillow and he's only used it HALF the times he's supposed to and keeps forgetting to bring it with him wherever he goes.

The other thing is this is sort of a temporary-ish type of problem too. Dad's eventually going to get better and going to be faster on his feet and all that. So its more the "what do I do in the next six months while dad's moving slower than a snail in winter" thing rather than something that will always happen.

Dad had suggested me getting the harness back on the beast and getting a leash system set up again. The trick with that (which dad doesn't realize) is that dad will have to BEND DOWN to put the leash on Leo. I need to get them bigger harnesses anyways, since they're no longer kitten sized. I'm not sure where I'd "tie" the other end to though. Maybe the bathroom door handle? It might be close enough...

Megan
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

And, as we all know, cats are very fast and very determined and very stubborn, and once they have an idea in their heads, getting that idea out of said head is anything but easy!

I put a hook, screwed it into the door frame, right next to the back door so that the leash is right there. One end is hooked onto the hook, the other end goes on the cat. When Spoutnik starts going outside too, it'll be harder, because I just know they'll get tangled!!!

Also, Misti is smart. Knowing she has to be tied, and knowing the dogs step all over her on their way out the same door at the same time she jumps up on the table and lets me hook her up from there! Then she can jump down and OVER the stampeding dogs (2).
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:50 PM
-

Is Leo the food obsessed one?
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

We(hubby)still take the cats out every day,they must think it's summer again,until they get out
Chico is at the door wanting in,in 3 min,Rocky and Vinnie stay out maybe 5 min,which is great for us when it's cold.
Mine do not try to run out,they know they cannot go outside without their collars and hubby going out first to check for other kitties,then they come outside.
Maybe you should just put their leashes on and take them out,chances are they will not want to be out in the cold too long.
But at least they get rid of the I-want-to-escape-outside longing.
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Chico;s advice is the right one. Mine- who either have short hair (Siamese) or no hair all run from the door this time of the year so I do not have any probs. But if they feel how cold it is- Leo especially - he may give up wanting to go out.
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Is Leo the food obsessed one?
No he's not. Pawz is. Leo's the one who grazes. He'd be quite happy to just take 5 or 6 kibbles here and there every few hours.

Pawz is the "I'm going to eat EVERYTHING I can get my paws on" cat. Leo is my little devil. The number of things he likes is rather scary: tomato sauce (without meat), tomato sauce (with meat), Swiss Chalet gravy, Swiss Chalet dipping sauce (O.o), turkey, chicken, cheese, ground beef...

Having said that I've only EVER given him a taste's worth of that stuff. The only thing he DOES beg for (and we still aren't sure why) is to lick the last bits of tomato sauce off the serving spoon. Who needs a dog when we've got Pawz? One of these days I'll tape little Pawz "begging" at the table. You guys will all get a kick out of it. I know both mom and dad do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
We(hubby)still take the cats out every day,they must think it's summer again,until they get out
Chico is at the door wanting in,in 3 min,Rocky and Vinnie stay out maybe 5 min,which is great for us when it's cold.
Mine do not try to run out,they know they cannot go outside without their collars and hubby going out first to check for other kitties,then they come outside.
Maybe you should just put their leashes on and take them out,chances are they will not want to be out in the cold too long.
But at least they get rid of the I-want-to-escape-outside longing.
I'll try that. Maybe if I take Leo out outside enough he'll be happy. Hopefully he'll only want to stay outside too long. That or he'll run under the bush and I'll never get him free! LOL A new harness is needed first though....

Pawz is rather content to sit inside. I mean he'll go to the door and all that but he often doesn't want out. He does like pawing at the doors and windows all the time though.

Something else just occurred to me...BOTH Leo and Pawz LOVE wet food more than they love trying to get outside...I wonder if dad can manage to feed them some wet food and make a mad dash to the door while they're busy polishing their plates....

Megan
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

My trick is a bamboo screen. I've got a small hallway, and its hard for me to get in fast enough, especially if I have groceries.

I've been using the screen since I lived in my other apartment. It's worked perfectly ever since I've begun using it. There have only been very few times when they've gotten through it, and that's been when I had Maks behind it. If they see something on the other side, they'll want to get at it. But 99% of the time, there are no issues.

I can come in and not worry about any of them being in that area. I can even bring my little grocery cart into the area close the door and the screen is still blocking them.

This is how it was set up in my old apartment. It's pretty much set up the same way here.

Maybe something like this would work for you.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:17 PM

I am a big Caesar Milan fan. He makes sense to me. I stopped Bonnie from charging out the door. I stood by the door and when she ran toward it,I said,"NO" and gently forced her backwards until she sat down. You have to own the door and she could not go out until I said she could. It was difficult at first but now,when I go to the door,she runs toward me then stops and sits down and looks at me. I make her wait a few seconds. If she rushes toward the door hen I open it,I close it and gently walk toward her. She was so bad at first,I had to use a leash to get her back. But now,she's fine.
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I like Caesar too, a bit weird at times, but he's got good points.

At the old place, the only good thing it had was a small foyer so that we could close one door and open the outside one safely.

Here, we have two front doors, one main door and one accessing the gym directly. When we come home with groceries, we use the gym entrance because we always keep the door between the gym and the rest of the house closed off - too many weights and things that could, in theory, fall on the furries.

With just the one door, we'd have trouble, there is no way to fit a screen split level entrance with open staircase!
Old December 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Remembering Lukka

What about leaving a coffee can filled with pennies and giving them a good rattle before you open the door or some other kind of noise maker that will have Leo heading for cover. I hope you find an answer for this before too long, and also get well wishes going out to your father
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:59 AM
Live well, laugh often

I would also give the can of pennies a try. You might also consider a "scat mat" placed near the door or a motion activated device that shoots a puff of air at him. Here is a link to some of these types of things http://www.contech-inc.com/products/
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:37 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie123 View Post
I am a big Caesar Milan fan. He makes sense to me. I stopped Bonnie from charging out the door. I stood by the door and when she ran toward it,I said,"NO" and gently forced her backwards until she sat down. You have to own the door and she could not go out until I said she could. It was difficult at first but now,when I go to the door,she runs toward me then stops and sits down and looks at me. I make her wait a few seconds. If she rushes toward the door hen I open it,I close it and gently walk toward her. She was so bad at first,I had to use a leash to get her back. But now,she's fine.
Does Caesar talk to cats too then? Lucifer...I mean Leo! is a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
What about leaving a coffee can filled with pennies and giving them a good rattle before you open the door or some other kind of noise maker that will have Leo heading for cover. I hope you find an answer for this before too long, and also get well wishes going out to your father
I'll try and find something to do that with...

hehe I took Leo out in the snow today for five minutes. He ran back inside. Then Pawz wanted out (what's good for the goose is good for the gander?) so I took him out and he saw *GASP* another HUMAN and ran for cover.

Like I said, the only time I can think of when mom/dar/myself aren't home would be during the day when dad checks the mail. Mail comes around noonish, which is also when the cats get fed. Maybe swapping the dry food at noon out for wet food at noon will keep the beast inside

Megan