Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Mystery poop on the floor.

Today we discovered a poop outside the litterbox. This has never happened in the nearly 4 years we've had Angus and Finn.

What can cause a cat to poop outside the litterbox?

The poop looked normal in every way. We regularly scoop it. We haven't changed litter brands in a while (but that never seems to bother them anyway). They've always shared 1 box without incident (I know, I know, 1 for every cat plus 1). Food is the same, their behaviour is the same. Nothing at all is out of the ordinary except for this poop on the floor beside the box (no idea which one did it).

Any ideas?

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
-

And Skylar didn't eat it ??? no way ! Mine would have been all over the .... tasty treat !

Maybe one of the cat threw it out , by scratching ....

One of my old cats used to do outside the box when he was a bit constipated.
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
-

I find them outside the box sometimes too. I just figured one of them had their butt too close to the edge, or as Frenchy said, they accidently scooped it out by over zealous burying.
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:01 AM

Occasionally I'll find poo on the floor, and it could be far from the litterbox. Sometimes any of my three Himalayans might have a poo stuck to their butt fur and they'll eventually shake it off well after leaving the litterbox, or I'll grab a tissue and remove it myself. I don't really worry about it.

A few weeks ago my Silky was using the box - and eventually she came tearing downstairs with a big poo stuck to her shoulder. I'd give anything to know how she managed to do that! Took me a minute to catch her in order to remove it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Senior Contributor

This was a full poop about a foot from the box. Our litterbox is a high sided rubbermaid bin (Angus would pee on the wall if we had low sides, lol), so there's no chance they mistakenly pooped outside the box.

Skylar doesn't have access to the room the litterbox is in, so no probs there. We put a kitty door into the wall of our laundryroom so the cats can have access but Skylar can't. It's an awesome arrangement.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:33 AM
-

One of our litter pans has high sides as well and I've still found poop on the floor even three feet away. I think sometimes they just manage to fling it that far when trying to bury it.
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Is it a possibility that one of them was using the box and the other one really really had to go? No room in the box so..........
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
Occasionally I'll find poo on the floor, and it could be far from the litterbox. Sometimes any of my three Himalayans might have a poo stuck to their butt fur and they'll eventually shake it off well after leaving the litterbox, or I'll grab a tissue and remove it myself. I don't really worry about it.

A few weeks ago my Silky was using the box - and eventually she came tearing downstairs with a big poo stuck to her shoulder. I'd give anything to know how she managed to do that! Took me a minute to catch her in order to remove it.
Puddles comes to us and shows us her bum when she has a poop stuck to her fur.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

eclipse will run away from me when i try to clean him being a long haired cat he gets it stuck very often lol

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Catlover2

Stacer, if you find poop outside the box within a week, probably time to get another litter box. I have 2 cats and only 1 box....used to have 2 boxes, but they preferred usuing only 1 box together....so whatever works! So far 1 box has worked for 3 yrs.

Love4himmies, I had a LH cat that did the same as yours--she was a real prima donna , and another one that would charge all over the house if some poop was caught in the fur. I found that clipping back the fur 1 in. around the anus solved that problem for LH cats.(blunt-nose moustache scissors are great for this).
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Now and then I would find little poos on the floor. It took me a while to figure out what it was, and only when I observed the culprit in action. Maks is quite busy, so busy that sometimes he doesn't even have time to finish allowing his poop to meet the litter. So, subsequently, he'll walk around with half a bit of poop coming out of his butt, which will drop as he's running to his next adventure.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/