Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Ruptured anal gland

My poor little Joe (pom x poodle) was dealing with constipation, straining to go and ruptured his anal gland. He has eaten 4 (cooked) chicken hearts the day before and was having a hard time eliminating. Gave him some pumpkin and milk but not before he strained too hard and gushed poop/blood/anal secretion. The patch is about the size of a dime, raw and oozing. Vet put him on 62.5 clavamox, I shaved the area and gave him a warm rear-end bath. Have been adding bran to his breakfast but omg it looks sore and he's having a hard time to sit down. I should have cut the hearts into tiny, tiny little pieces as he has a tendency to gulp any delicacies. He goes out to pee pretty quickly now we're having freezing weather again due to his hairless little behind.
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm wincing just reading this lol. I believe there are different 'numbing'(local anaesthetic) creams and sprays available - you should ask your vet. Since it is close to, or on, mucous membranes and is still healing, it would have to be a very specific kind, and not toxic if he licked it (can he? then maybe a collar, although it would be a shame to add insult to injury).
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
-

Ouch ! that must hurt :sad:
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ouch poor little guy... hope that heals up quickly!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes that sounds awfully painful. I'm with the others, topical something to help the pain or the discomfort. I'd call the vet again and tell him the dogs really uncomfortable.
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Pubert, my cat did that too...on the day of my stagette!!! HA! One blew, we took him in, they shaved and cleaned him, drugged him up!

My girlfriends had to bring me home every 4 hours to check on him...I couldn't bail on my own stagette!! Of all days eh?

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
-

Awww.....poor little Joe. :sad: Would the vet give him something for the pain?
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Ruptured anal gland

Joe thanks you for your well wishes. Unfortunately since it oozes I need to give him a rear-end bath twice a day so lint/dust doesn't attach itself to the wound. He's on a pain med but vet thought it would heal faster using medicated shampoo (non stinging) and allow the air to dry it. The only consolation is he can't reach to lick it so doesn't have to wear a cone, otherwise I'd really be on the sh-- list. As it is he doesn't want me anywhere near that end and hides when he hears the bath running.
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM

One of my dogs had the same anal gland rupture twice, about a year apart. No cone, no bandage etc. He did have some homeopathic remedies though. In any case, it healed up nicely. Both times it was in the dead of winter and I would look outside to see him cooling his butt on the snow. It apparently helped his discomfort a lot.

I was worried at the time that he would end up needing surgery since that had happened twice, but it hasn't happened in over 6 years (touching wood).
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
As it is he doesn't want me anywhere near that end and hides when he hears the bath running.
Sam does the same thing with his ear meds. :sad:

Poor little Joe , I sure hope his painkiller pills are working !
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:35 PM

help!!!!

i believe that my aussie has a ruptured anal gland....all the signs are there as well as verifying pics on the web. unfortunately there were no previous signs that something like this was coming. so here is my question...do i need to take her in to the vet for treatment, or is there something that i can do at home that will help it heal. this is the first time that this has happened that i know, we have had her for a year and she is now 6. i hate to go to the vet, as you are then committed to whatever they say. i noticed that there is a post that someone did homeopathic meds....could someone shed some light??
thank you!!
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

vervie, you should at least take her in to have the vet confirm that that's what the problem is. She may need antibiotics for an infection.

If you disagree with the treatment the vet suggests, you can always refuse it, but your dog really should be checked over before you start her on any treatment, even a homeopathic one.

I hope she's okay

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:45 PM

My dog's swollen anal sac turned into a rupture. Here's what I did...

Now a little introductory, my dog is (at least he looks like) a Jack Russell mixed with a pit bull. He's bigger than the average JR but way smaller than am average pit bull. I found him roaming the desert streets in summer time. Here in AZ the temperature during summer is always between 105°F to 120°F (46°c) so I'm walking to the store and there he is. I kept calling him he wouldn't come to me but he stayed near me. I noticed there was a male security guard driving around on a golf cart patrolling the area. The guard told me he doesn't know whose dog it is the dog won't let any male get close to help him. I lured my dog over to a spicket and cupped my hands so he could get some water. Him & I were best friends ever since, he's normally mean toward any stranger and he showed signs of being abused. He still is hesitant when I have to treat wounds.

One day I noticed what looked poop stains by his butthole so I took him into the bathroom to wipe it & clean it off. He kept licking at it too. I immediately called my mom hoping she'd know what was wrong, thankfully she told me what it was and how to express his anal gland.
I watched videos on how to express the gland and wanted to make sure I knew how to do it before trying it. Nothing came out I didn't want to keep trying I could see he was in pain. After a few hours he's still licking and trying to bite it. I'm trying like crazy to hold him still while I try to get a good look. I decided since it was so irritated & I couldn't get anything out that I'd leave it alone and start looking for antibiotics.
It's been like 6 hours since I first noticed it & it was just getting worse & worse AND Chewy was crying more and more. I started looking for vets that could help Chewy that didn't need his rabies records. My dog wasnt registered when this happened. I came online to look up home care tips and got to work. Below is what I used to help heal him

Medications: Amoxicillin (100mg dose 3x day, also pieces of the pill to dissolve into water to rinse the area) Benedryl (to help Chewy stay sleepy) Tylenol (to give for pain, I also took a piece and dissolved into warm water to rinse)

How to clean: I used an empty clean yogurt container I would fill with warm water and add salt to it (not a whole lot) I'd put Chewy in the tub lift his tail and rinse the area. You want to do this several times a day You DO NOT want the rupture to scab since it will continue to rain for awhile if it scabs first few days of healing it will start a cycle of the ruptured sac scabbing up, refilling, then rebursting. Toward the end of healing its fine if it scabs just not for first healing phase.

What to do after cleaning:
I didn't listen to my friend who said not to use neosporin/antibiotic ointment on it because it won't be able to "breathe" and it cost almost an addition 1 or 2 weeks of healing. Just pat dry after washing his/her bum with the warm salt water rinse. Keep dog from licking it

Make sure you do this every time they're done going potty

It took almost a month for him to heal, if I would've had a cone it maybe would've taken two weeks.