Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old February 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Cool Eclipse of the moon - right now!

Hi folks,
For a neat sight go and take a look at the moon tonight (Feb 20th). A total eclipse has begun. Should be at its best in about an hour 10pm EST (full eclipse, makes it look red). Any talented photographers out there??

Way too cold here to go out and watch (-30C) but I'm so lucky to have a nice view of the moon from my living room picture window, right beside my computer, how nice

If you're not so lucky to have a ring side view, grab your winter woolies and a cup of hot something and wander out for a look... don't forget to take your puppers with you (they make good foot warmers ) or kitties (good hand warmers )

Next one isn't till Dec 2010.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
-

I just went out to look , it has started
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
cat slave

holy that's amazing!!!

this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO trippy!!
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji View Post
holy that's amazing!!!

this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO trippy!!
hummm, did you get the kind of seed that I want ?
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
cat slave

hehehehh maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe

hahha no...it's just reallly really cool! it's like....DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ECLIPSE!!! watch out!!
there's some mystical beliefs associated with the moon and eclipses i'm sure...just trippy man!!!
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

If you REALLY aren't into going outside or even looking out the window, there are a couple of web pages that broadcast things like this live.... www.spaceweather.com is one of them, though I can't get the page to load right now, probably too much traffic.

Don't forget to keep checking on that ol' moon of ours, it just gets better and better!

I soooooooo wish I had a telescope... I'm fascinated by the "shadowy" part of the moon during an eclipse, but it's hard to see without a tele
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji View Post
there's some mystical beliefs associated with the moon and eclipses i'm sure...just trippy man!!!
ok so do you think if I go out on my patio and dance naked under the moon , this would bring me money ? 6/49 draw is tonight and I'm SURE nobody will think about getting naked outside and dance.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
ok so do you think if I go out on my patio and dance naked under the moon , this would bring me money ? 6/49 draw is tonight and I'm SURE nobody will think about getting naked outside and dance.
just don't be "tripping" into any snowbanks
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
I think the phrase you are thinking of is full body frostbite!

Or are you suddenly loads warmer than we are?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Are any of your doggies going haywire? Molly gets all crazy when the moon is full. Wonder what she's gonna think of the moon going from full to gone then back again What about kitties?? Mine couldn't care less - their mysticism is of some different kind
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Damn, I was about to go outside and look at the eclipse fully clothed for no money!

I have a photo that I took at 7:00 pm and am trying to catch the moon as it changes....they won't be fantastic pictures but I will be able to say I saw it!!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you guys really never seen a full lunar eclipse before? Please don't tell me that I've only seen so many because I'm getting really old!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Or are you suddenly loads warmer than we are?
It's about -10*C , I'll wait for Busterboo to try the naked thing before I do
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Are any of your doggies going haywire?
All the fuzzbutts are sleeping here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBoo View Post
Damn, I was about to go outside and look at the eclipse fully clothed for no money!
It's your call , clothed : no money , naked : .......... don't know yet
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Have you guys really never seen a full lunar eclipse before? Please don't tell me that I've only seen so many because I'm getting really old!
yes I did see one , for a few seconds than got bored
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I went I saw I froze, you couldn't give me enough money to bare any skin out there tonight...

It's almost in full eclipse...

I'm watching from inside now
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
It's about -10*C , I'll wait for Busterboo to try the naked thing before I do

It's your call , clothed : no money , naked : .......... don't know yet
Yes. Well. You two keep us posted on that!

Old February 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
yes I did see one , for a few seconds than got bored
I've always found them to be utterly fascinating. I even watch the partials.

Old February 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup, seen a few others but rarely on such a CLEAR night! Guess cold is good for something, clears up all that junk in the air.
Even seen a few solar eclipses in my day (those are the scary ones)
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Flyball Mom

I went and had a peek... silly moon doing these things in winter.

Here's a pic that we took a few years back, through a telescopic lens, for those of you who haven't seen a lunar eclipse before.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Now that's pretty cool, Byrd!

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Byrd, that is soooooooooooooo coool
I'm incredibly jealous!

I've tried a couple of pics tonight but i'm hopeless without a tripod and some talent

Hmmmm, the darkness came pretty fast but where's the return of the light... taking it's sweet time now (OK, I worry too much )
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Flyball Mom

Yeah, that ex of mine was at least good for something.

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Hmmmm, the darkness came pretty fast but where's the return of the light... taking it's sweet time now (OK, I worry too much )
I think I heard it was going to be total for almost an hour, otter, so don't panic!

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM

Very cool pic! I watched the eclipse become full and it is definitely red right now, seems more dark red on one side than the other. I've seen them before, but it has been a few years, because often the clouds cover them. But tonight, a cloudless sky and very cold night. Hopefully the red moon is not a bad omen. While standing outside, in this neighborhood full of dogs, we did hear a bunch of them barking and howling, so yeah, the dogs are going crazy tonight. Could be they are just picking up on us humans, but I dont' know...
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a picture I took of it tonight (on my branny new camera). Not near as good as the one previously posted. But then I didn't have a telescope - just 4x optical zoom.

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Flyball Mom

Lunar eclipses hold a lot of energy, they're probably picking up on that.

Definitely not a bad omen... perfectly wonderfully good omen.

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Papa D

i caught the total eclipse on film enjoy.
Attached Images

Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Red can definitely be good! and such a beautiful night for such a neat event, must be a very good sign

LavenderRott, very nice pic! Captures the "essence" of the event with less focus on the "details"

See, now the moon is dark... Molly is fast asleep, kinda cool
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

nice one wd
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I've been watching it too is lovely and took pictures as well i dont' know if they showed up but will try an dpost if they did.
Sadie can't care less.