Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 30th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Sad Rescue Puppy

Hello I am new here but wanted to share our experience with our new rescue.

We have added a 2yr old beagle/dachshund to our crew of 3 cats, also rescues. It has been 4 weeks and counting since we brought him home. After the first few days our cats couldn't care less about him - unless he is getting something good to eat or he is sleeping in their 'spot' - typical, so they are great.

He is great also, but seems to have some anxiety, especially when it comes to eating and places he can do his 'business'. For instance - he won't go in our backyard, which is huge and secure. He will ask to go for a walk. I have tried to keep him out after a meal and play with him - run him and encourage him to go to the bathroom, but he holds it until he is ready to burst and I give in.

He also seems...down maybe? If he is not out for a walk, or we are not specifically engaging him in play - he runs for the covers - literally buries himself, in our bed, under his blankets and in his crate - which is set up but open for him to come and go. When he is playing or on a walk he is boisterous and happy.

I know it is still early days. We have signed up for some basic obedience and have an appointment with a trainer to come to our house to help us with these issues - just wondering what everything thinks. Is there anything else we can do to reassure him?
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kittygirl thank you so very much for considering a rescue! You seem to have the bases covered. I would just let him be for now. Some pups take a bit longer to adjust to their new surroundings. Do you have his history at all? As for the potty issues I am not sure what to suggest other than keep trying the walks and if and when he does make sure you praise him till there is no tomorrow and hopefuly he understands its okay.

Will he play with you? will he initiate play? maybe he is just not 100% there yet?

Good Luck...would love some pics if you when you can!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Floppy Dog

Do check the history of your dog. That may give you some clues. Also, be patient. When I was a teenager, we rescued a cocker spaniel who had been abused. It took my mom and me 2 years before she would submit to brushing without a fight. It took 2 more years after that before she actually enjoyed the experience of being brushed. Some of her issues (small children, mail and newspapers) we were never able to correct or improve, we just wound up coping with them. In the end, she lived 10 very safe and secure years with our family before she finally died at age 14 of heart failure.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM

He is very playful! He loves walking and runs like a rabbit. It is hilarious.
But no, he does not initiate play with us ... yet. He is very loving with our family and responds well to attention and praise.

Unfortunately the rescue did not have much information on him except that he was picked up as a stray. He was vetted and in good health and neutered. We have vetted him as well.

I do know that he is sensitive if we have things in our hand - shoes, newspapers etc. So sad! And we hope with time he will understand he is safe with us. The trainer has advised obedience will be great for him so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

He also has food issues - no aggression at all, the exact opposite. I have to coax him to eat. He will refuse hamburger and rice. He doesn't even eat cat food! He was at the vet for this and they think he is sensitive emotionally, not sick. Anyway we are working on it. Thanks for the feedback!
Here he is, I hope they attach.

Name:  IMG00456.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  98.5 KB
Attached Images

Old June 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

thank you for rescuing the cutie,,,,as already said it's gonna take time and patience..there may be a reason as to why he wont go in your yard and you may never know it..The dog we rescued a couple years ago took months to get the idea that it was ok to go pottie on the grass and not just concrete or asphalt,,he'd never seen grass before. The burrying in blankets is a dachhound trait so may not be an issue,,or just may be his comfy zone. Time love and patience and he'll come around. i had one rescue years ago that i had to make a game of dinner time to coax him to eat.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a handsome little guy!! Welcome to both of you!

As far as the potty/poopin' issue goes--have you tried walking him on the leash in your yard? He's maybe never had the opportunity to go off-leash before.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

For many rescues that were found dogs which also show signs of neglect or abuse, this behaviour is rather common. They seem withdrawn and because he may not have been given the 'priviledge' or 'opportunity' to live with loving people, he may be confused that now he is welcomed. Most dogs that have such signs as yours were probably not given the time of day and shoved aside. If this is the case, then all this will work out in due time.

I have had MANY rescues like this including dogs that have been severely abused. The best thing to do is to let the dog come to you on his time. Once I get one of these dogs into my home, I ignore them and let them experience or view the interactions that I have with my other animals. They will pick up pretty quickly and will want to participate with you and the others. I also do not speak to them at all for a few days. If I need to correct a behaviour, I do it non verbally, and usually just click my fingers and point to what I want from them (such as go lie down, down or off). It sounds harsh but it really is not. I know your first instinct (as mine) is to love them up and let them know everything is ok. In doing so, sometimes it over stimulates them or confuses them as they do not understand our gesture of kindness and affection.

To entice play, I usually take a ball, throw it and run after it myself (that is if I do not have other dogs to teach the dog how to play). The dog will eventually want to join in with the excitement and curiousity to engage in the fun.

As for food, I would place the food down and walk away. Let the dog explore the food and decide to take a nibble. Try adding some plain yogurt to the food or maybe a raw piece of meat. Remember however not to mix raw with kibble food. You can also try adding maybe some beef broth to see if that will spark curiousity and get his hunger going.

I am certain that others here can assist with some ideas as well. There is a training expert here called TenderFoot and she packed with ideas and methods. Hopefully she can assist you.

Best of luck to you and I just wanted to say thanks for considering a rescued animal. There is nothing quite like the bond you will eventually have with your new canine...they know who saved them!

Take care and keep us updated on progress please. So nice to meet you.
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Everyone has good ideas and personally I wouldn't worry too much - so long as he has joy in his life that counts for a lot. If he is quiet in the home it just might his personality or he might need more time to adjust. You could try putting him on the leash attached to you in the house and as you go about your day he is forced to join in. It could help him to face his insecurities head on and teach him that being inside is fun too. It also prevents him from avoiding things and hiding. But becareful what you wish for - once he relaxes and starts to play inside you might wish he had stayed quiet and calm.

Some dogs can take time to get into a good eating routine. You might find that he eats better if you put him into the bathroom with the door closed and he has privacy. Making his food more enticing can help a lot too. Try to avoid too much hand feeding or that could become his new habit and he will only eat if you hand feed him.

Soiling in the yard is also habitual. Some dogs are raised to always soil on leash and not in the yard. With time and patience he can change. Pick up a few of his 'deposits' and put them in the yard to show him it is okay to go there. Take him to that spot and let him sniff it - the smell alone can often encourage a bowl movement.

Patience is the key to this little guy.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

What a cute pup. Thank you for rescuing. I agree with the others. He'll come around in his own time. As for the potty issue, my oldest dog grew up in a townhouse where she had to go out for a walk to do her business. To this day (13 years later) she still wants to go for a walk to do her jobs. It's just what she learned as a youngster and that's the way it has to be for her. So most likely that's the issue with your little fellow. It's all he's used to. He may or may not change, but it's probably not that big of an issue.
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, what an absolute doll! You are a wonderful person for rescuing this little soul. Sadly, you do not know his past, but you can certainly be sure to make his future a loving and happy one.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks Everyone! Such good advice!

We were away for the weekend with him and he was wonderful with the other dogs that were there. He swam in the lake, ate his food and even barked just like the other dogs.
We have lots of time and patience for him so we will take it in stride.
Also we are starting his first obedience this week so that should start to give him some confidence.

I am learning that he is showing traits of both the beagle and dachshund, having met a few before. He is quite a ham! His grunts are my fav -

Anyway, we will keep everyone posted on his progress. Thanks for the support.
Old July 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM

I've never seen a mix like that before. He's lovely that he will come out of his shell around you.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM

He is adorable - I love the second pic.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.