Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM

Small dog and Anal gland issues (sorry a bit long)

I always associated anal gland issues with dogs that were on a poor diet or who had chronic diarrhea making it difficult to express their anal glads.

I have never had a dog with issues with their anal glands until my pup Kina started having issues with hers.

The first 7 months I had her, I had problems finding a food for her that did not give her diarrhea. Then she started scooting. The first time I brought her to the vet with then, they thought she was very young to have problems with her anal glads, but with the chronic diarrhea, I wasn't.

The vet informed me that some dogs are just "lazy" in that department, and because she is part Cavalier King Charles they have rounded butts which make them "lazy" when it comes to expressing their anal glands. (Kina is part Cavalier part Bichon).

I thought that was kind of a strange answer to her problem, but at this point, Kina was still having chronic diarrhea.

Finally I decided to go grain free in the food department. I had tried LID diets with no success, so why not.

Well, she's been really firm in the stool department. All her treats are grain free and I haven't had runny poop since December when we first put her on the grain free.

The only problem is, why is it, if her poop is firm is she still having the anal gland issue. Are some dogs really prone to this? Is the "lazy butt" thing really true? I thought once she'd have firm stools, the anal gland issue would just go away?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

My English bulldog does not have soft stool, and he needs to have his anal glands expressed every 3 months or so.
It is not a diet issue for some dogs, but just seems to be part of their physical make up. It is pretty minimal maintenance, and it is a quick thing to complete, but wow what a gross smell if you don't take care of it.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM

If that's her problem wow that's going to be a pain in the butt. I'll ask her groomer if she does them when she grooms her.

I'd do it myself but it's not something I can stomach!! They cleaned her with an apple scented wipe at the vet after they had drained her glans but I was gagging all the way home from the vet! When we got home, I just had to wash her butt in the sink!!
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:40 PM

I express any that need it myself, if you put just a real thin layer of vaseline in the area to start, any fluid that does not go on the tissue, can be wiped off and the odor does not stick to the hair.

have you tried a bit of pumpkin in the diet? I give several of my pugs (about 20 lbs) a tsp with each of their 2 meals. Lots of exercise helps as well.
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM
-

One important thing , for anyone that wants to do it themselves , a vet must teach you how to do it. Don't try if you don't know how to do it. You can do more harm than good.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I have tried the punkin thing to try to bulk her up. I didn't help and the vet has shown me how to drain her anal glands.

I just can't do it myself, I just don't have the stomach for that.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Groomers and vets will drain them for you, but they typically charge for the service. If she needs them done frequently, the cost may mount up if you have it done as opposed to doing it yourself. Have you tried a little Vicks under your nose, expressing them outside so as not to have the odor in the house, and washing you and Kina up well afterward?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I add a teaspoon of allbran to my yorkies food. She had really solid poops and I used to have to express her anal glands everyweek before her bath, but since i started the allbran I *may* have to do it once a month.

Honestly, it shouldnt smell too bad at all I would worry about infetion or somethin gif the smell is that unbearable. There is virtually no odor when I express keely's.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Cassie needs her glands expressed every 6 weeks or so. Although I think her stools are a good consistency, the vet's office recommended adding a little fiber supplement with her food. I use 1/4 teaspoon of Benefiber in her meals twice daily (she weighs 23-24 pounds). The Benefiber has no taste. Too much fiber can have a laxative effect and make the stool less firm, so there is some trial and error to get the right "dose". We've gone longer at this point than normal, so I think we've got the correct amount for her body. Good luck. Some dogs just need the glands monitored so they don't get infected.
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM

When I groomed, I would express the anal gland, if possible. some glands don't drain well.

If you do it in the bath, with the water running over the back end of the dog, then you don't notice the smell. I used to do this in my grooming shop, and even now with my dog, I have to watch her, as hers ruptures if not cleaned regular. I just hold the shower head in my hand as I express with the other hand.

This method works for me, and as I said, there isn't any smell.

take care
binky
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Forgot to add, my vet taught me how to do the anal glands when I started grooming many years ago. However, with my present dog, as stated hers ruptures, if not done often. He advised me to give her raw carrots, or apples, the needed roughage. She has been on Acana, with some soft food to help it not be so hard. She is 13 now, and I am thinking I am going to change her to mostly soft, with the hard added in for crunch.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Thanks all.

To a normal person she doesn't smell abnormal when we do her anal glands. I just have a ery week stomach.

I'll give the suggestions that you gave a try and see how it goes. So far she's had them drained in December and then again this week. I do already give her raw carrots as treats and will also grate some into her food.