Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 12th, 2011, 08:05 PM

Metacam vs Meloxicam

Does anyone know how to convert the dosage of metacam to meloxicam?
Thank you.
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Abee View Post
Does anyone know how to convert the dosage of metacam to meloxicam?
Thank you.
That's really something that you should talk to your vet about. It all depends on how many mg/mL etc.. Especially since if you dose something out wrong and send your pet into kidney failure I bet you won't feel too good about that

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm231254.htm

Quote:
WARNING

Repeated use of meloxicam in cats has been associated with acute renal failure and death. Do not administer additional injectable or oral meloxicam to cats. See Contraindications, Warnings, and Precautions for detailed information.
I saw a 4 month old puppy die after being otherwise TOTALLY healthy after being on metacam a few days after being spayed. So, it's up to you, if you want to go ahead and try to convert it be my guest, but I'd be very careful if I were you.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:24 PM

I'm still waiting for the vet to call me back!! I talked to him about the switch & he was to call me back on Thursday but..... There's no way I'd ever try to do it on my own but I was hoping that someone else here had experience with these drugs!
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:26 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Abee View Post
I'm still waiting for the vet to call me back!! I talked to him about the switch & he was to call me back on Thursday but..... There's no way I'd ever try to do it on my own but I was hoping that someone else here had experience with these drugs!
The only experiences I've had are bad ones, so I just err on the side of caution and tell everyone to be careful Sorry your vet hasn't called you back! Hate when that happens.

If the mg/mL on the Metacam is the same as the generic, technically the dose would be the same.. but with those drugs it's iffy because not enough and it won't do it's job, too much and it can kill! It's not like taking an asprin or something, it's quite specific.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM

I have used Metacam on all of my senior dogs without any side effects, after ruling out the use of the other Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory drugs available for use in dogs. Every other NSAID I used had side effects that I couldn't live with, diarrhea and vomiting were the main ones and the dogs were not impressed either. I also should mention that all my senior dogs weighed between 50 and 110 pounds so they were all large breed dogs.

However, I have never used the generic form of the drug which is Meloxicam so I can't help you with the dosage. You might want to go to the Metacam website where they talk about dosage
Metacam Website

BUT I wouldn't make the change without your Vet giving you the exact dose required because as Kathryn said there can be very unpleasant and even dangerous side effects when too much of the drug is given and too little won't work.

I assume you are planning to use the Metacam/Meloxicam for your dog because it is not meant for regular use in cats as Kathryn mentioned. It is only authorized by the FDA for use in cats by injection pre and/or post operatively by a Veterinarian.

Using-METACAM-in-Cats

Veterinary Use of Metacam By Injection In Cats

Is the Meloxicam you are thinking of using in pill form or a liquid? Is it meant for humans or animals? Please let us know how it turns out because Metacam is the most expensive NSAID for animals and it would be nice to know if there is an alternative.
Old May 27th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Senior Dogs -vs-Senior people

We all love our pets and vets. But this is a real bane of our existence: Vet med costs!! I personally am on a 15mg dose of Meloxicam for which I pay $4.00 for 90 tablets... something like a nickel a dose. What are you paying for essentially the identical med for your dogs? Works out to around ten times that much for us.

That is outrageous, especially to those "financially challenged" in our senior years. Rimadyl, Meloxicam, Metacam... I don't care what they call it, all of them work well. But the vet industry needs a real shake-up and put the health of our beloved pets within cost reasonability.

Thanks for listening
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Many states require the vet to write a prescription if you ask for it, and that's the way to go, particularly if the dog is on the med for a long time. I liked using the Metacam because I could modify the dose. Any dog on NSAIDS should have regular bloodwork and, IMO, liver support.
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Buying meds from your vet is a sure way to overpay for your pet meds....
many pharmacies will fill a pet's prescription if they have one at a huge savings.

That said, I must admit to being a bit shy about asking my (amazing) vet for a prescription for me to fill elsewhere.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree that ved meds (and treatments) can be way over the top. My vet has offered to source compounding pharmacies to get Halo's meds for us as the vet version was only Bill Gates affordable. You should not be shy to ask your vet to write a prescription if you can get it somewhere cheaper. If I'm already paying my vet $65.00 to walk in the door for 15 minutes, I'm not going to be shy about it.
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

marko, I am often hesitant to ask too, but I'm trying to be better. I will often buy the first med from the vet, but have been pretty good about getting scripts for refills.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

But some Vets will charge a fee to write the Rx. Some do not charge if you are there for an appointment anyway.

At my last Vet I found I was paying 150% more for flea and heartworm meds for four cats and one dog than friends were at their Vet. Even with a $17 fee per Rx it was still cheaper to order my meds and have them shipped. That was about 8 or 9 years ago, I wonder what their fee is now?
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

That is pretty significant.

In the US, here is a list of laws for each state on prescribing. I think they were trying to pass a national law, but it didn't pass. That one might have banned script fees, can't remember.

http://www.zzcat.com/CRF/supplies/legal.htm
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, interesting! I see WI is NOT one that requires them to write a script upon request!!

We've never had trouble with our vet agreeing to give us one, though--perhaps because our usual vet bills run about $900 a visit even without meds. They'd hate to lose us.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't want to lose you as a client either!!!
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."