Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM

info about cat food!

Hi everyone!

I need help for my mom. I was talking with her and told her that she should think about changing her cat food. She has been on Science Diet since she got her 6 years ago. By beeing on this forum and owning my lil Georges, i've learn that vet's food arent the best. So now, i need brand suggestion! How's the Orijen for cat?
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathach View Post
So now, i need brand suggestion! How's the Orijen for cat?
Would your mom be interested in feeding her cat wet food? That would really be best, as there is no dry food, not even Orijen, that could be considered "good" for cats. You might want to check out this easy-to-read info about why kibble can actually be quite harmful: http://www.catinfo.org/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would stay away from any dry food for a cat or just use it as a treat. My favourite canned food is: Nature's Variety, Instinct. It is high meat, low carbs.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM

well her cat doesnt like wet food... when she has it she only lick the juice and barely touch the food. She's quite a picky eater
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
well her cat doesnt like wet food... when she has it she only lick the juice and barely touch the food. She's quite a picky eater
With a very gradual transition and a few tricks up the ol' sleeve, it can be done. It's not unusual at all for a cat to need some convincing to try new foods, especially ones with different textures and smells. The fact that she licks the juice means that she at least recognizes the canned as edible, so she's way ahead of many other cats that would just walk away in disgust.

What brands/flavours has your mom tried? Perhaps her kitty would prefer a different texture (pate instead of chunky, for instance). Also, if she leaves dry food down all day for her to free-feed, it's not likely that she's going to be hungry enough in the first place to eat an entire meal of wet food. What I would do is pick up the bottomless bowl of dry and only give her 1/4 cup at set meal times. Then experiment with a few different varieties of canned and leave those down for her to nibble at during the day or night. Gradually decrease the amount of dry.

Sprinkling the top of the canned with something uber-tasty like the powder from freeze-dried chicken or salmon or crumbling some bonito flakes over it can help to get a cat used to new foods. Parmesan cheese, tuna juice, pulverized dry food, nutritional yeast, powdered liver treats - these are other tricks that can work, depending on the cat's tastes.

More info here on how to transition kibble addicts: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
My guy was the same.. he was a licker and wouldnt touch the actual food. Check out the site the sugarcatmom provided, I used it to help transition my guy to wet food and it worked with a little bit of patience
Good luck!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Slave to Tonks

I feed my boys two servings of good quality wet food (Innova Flex, Merrick's, Wellness) as well as a bit of Orijen daily.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM

thanks for the infos everyone! I've print the catinfo pages for my mom and we'll see what she wants to do.