Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Why do dogs kick up dirt after urinating?

Hi members,

I don't believe I've ever gotten an answer to this question...but why do many dogs kick up dirt with their back legs after urinating or defecating (though i see this more after urination).

At first I though it was to bury it (the urine) but it you watch dogs do this, it doesn't make sense that that would be the answer because they always seem to kick the dirt willy nilly with little to no precision at all.

When cats bury poo/pee at least they actively bury the spot in question - but dogs just send the dirt everywhere.

Anyone got opinions on why they do this if it is not to bury the poo/pee?

Thx!
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I have always been led to believe they had scent pads under their feet and it is done to spread their scent and mark their territory???
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

scent glands in the paws - i think i knew that - makes scents to me !

Thx!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM

One of my dogs, I swear, does it for effect. Scrape, scrape, scrape. Leaves and divets go flying 10 feet up and 20 feet back, and she's standing tall and proud saying:

HELLO WORLD. *I* JUST POOPED.

Probably goes along with Erykah's theory.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Bayley does that too, but mainly only if other dogs are around. She doesn't do it at home, so I would bet it goes along with the marking thing.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I was always under the impression that it was to kick their scent around a little bit, Winston try's very hard to pee really high on the telephone polls and I think its just because it wants to override all the other smells!

Having said that a couple of times a year something strange happens when Winston is sniffing around. He will come across a scent that makes him foam at the mouth, and I mean foam! it would appear that he has sniffed something bitter but I know for sure it is scent and not ingesting something. Very weird though!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Both Thorin and Nookie do it too, but mainly when we're out and away from the house. Nookie (the silly little creature that he is) will do it in mud, on dirt/grass and yes, even on the concrete ! I'm always worried he will tear a toe nail off or something.
I have heard they do it not only to mark the area with "their" scent, but also to destroy the scent of another dog, but who knows?

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Bailey(cocker)when she poops will kick up dirt 5 feet away,if she was trying to hide it,like cats,she's doing a bad job of it
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I have the definitive answer, derived after years of dog observation. They only do it when you are in a hurry to go somewhere and are taking them for a quick run before you leave, whether dog is going too or not. Plus, your dog uncannily knows exactly where the stickiest bit of ground or mud is and unerringly aims it at you. Because you are in a hurry you wear your good clothes, reasoning that doing so will save you a change of clothing. You are wrong.

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I have the definitive answer, derived after years of dog observation. They only do it when you are in a hurry to go somewhere and are taking them for a quick run before you leave, whether dog is going too or not. Plus, your dog uncannily knows exactly where the stickiest bit of ground or mud is and unerringly aims it at you. Because you are in a hurry you wear your good clothes, reasoning that doing so will save you a change of clothing. You are wrong.

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts.

Gryphon & Mollie do this to each other.

One finishes doing his/her job and takes up their rear guns--spewing grass and whatever else in the path of a clean dog which is now....not so clean anymore!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL. That sounds right to me. Thanks for a good laugh. Actually, I haven't a dog at the moment that does it, and I miss that. I had one that I could tell to do it, as in "Kick! Kick!" and it'd do its thing. Having a senior moment though and can't recall which dog it was.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Having said that a couple of times a year something strange happens when Winston is sniffing around. He will come across a scent that makes him foam at the mouth, and I mean foam! it would appear that he has sniffed something bitter but I know for sure it is scent and not ingesting something. Very weird though!
You're correct, Winston. Lucky does this when he smells a female in heat. He not only foams but it looks like he's chewing gum at the same time (I have an explanation for it but it's in a book I lent to a friend . Something to do with helping them smell molecules better). He also does it when he smells blood, either his own if he has a scratch or another dog's.

Longblades, you're too funny .
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:31 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I have always been led to believe they had scent pads under their feet and it is done to spread their scent and mark their territory???
: I've noticed it's only dominant dogs that will do this.
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

A little late getting here, I just saw Marko's note in another thread. GG, I have to sorta disagree about the dominant dog thing though. My lab Halo does this and she's definitely second fiddle in our pack. Shadow still tries to kick, but with her arthritis in her hind legs she can only kick with the front legs and not so well. Last night she tried to kick both front legs back together and fell on her chin! Ooops... I had to hug her. I know it's a scent thing, but I think sometimes Halo kicks harder on the lawn of the neighbour she knows doesn't like her
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
A little late getting here, I just saw Marko's note in another thread. GG, I have to sorta disagree about the dominant dog thing though. My lab Halo does this and she's definitely second fiddle in our pack. Shadow still tries to kick, but with her arthritis in her hind legs she can only kick with the front legs and not so well. Last night she tried to kick both front legs back together and fell on her chin! Ooops... I had to hug her. I know it's a scent thing, but I think sometimes Halo kicks harder on the lawn of the neighbour she knows doesn't like her
Oh my gosh, my Jet did the same thing. She didn't start kicking till about age 9 and in later years also fell over a couple of times. Also agree with questioning the dominant idea. Jet was submissive to people and dogs and cats all her wonderful, gentle life.
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
A little late getting here, I just saw Marko's note in another thread. GG, I have to sorta disagree about the dominant dog thing though.
I'll have to take more notice, thanks DD
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM

Molly does this, mostly after she poops. I get a real kick out of it because she gets all wound up just after doing it. Its like she's celebrating.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM

With Scotties, we refer to this maneuver as the "Highland Fling". Three of my 4 Scotties have done the kicking and I agree it is like a celebration. I've been told it is to spread their scent around further and help leave their calling card. Mine tend to do this more following a poo, but my girl does kick and fling after a pee sometimes. She really seems proud of herself.
Old July 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM

I always thought my pup was just strange when he did this! Then I thought he was trying to kick off any pee he might have gotten on his feet hahaha. He's the weirdest urinater ever--he doesn't lift his leg but instead leans as far forward on his front legs as possible--until the back legs are completely straight--then lets it go. Everyone that sees him do it laughs! At least now I know the "kicking" is semi-normal.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
owned by Tucker

Tucker is a kicker too and has to pee the highest on the hydro pole too. He kicks with all four feet too and yep don't know how many times he has gotten me with muc. The pole thing I have seen him go onto his toes and almost fall over to pee higher on the pole than other dogs have peed.
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

my pinchers do this all the time and the girls pee over the boys lol, brenda