Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 1st, 2013, 04:30 PM

Does anyone else think this is weird??

For over a year, there has been a recurring internet ad locally for a poodle. It has been on there on and off, I would say at least a dozen times over the past year. The photos are the same so I can tell it's the same dog. As I am interested in getting a small standard poodle, I replied to the ad about a year ago. I did not get a reply.

Then a couple of months ago, the ad was on there once again, same dog, more or less the same wording. It's a registered dog - ad put on by the breeder. So I decided to answer the ad. I originally said "I have a six foot fence with a locked gate. I have other dogs, so your dog would need to get along with other dogs . . " etc etc. Got no reply!! So then I replied to the ad from a different email address. This time I said "Could you please let me know more about the dog". The reply was "What do you want to know"?" My reply was similar to the other one "Does the dog get along with other dogs etc." Got no reply!

Now there is an ad for an eight month old puppy -- same person - they now have the two ads - one for a "young adult" the other for the puppy. I was originally tempted to reply because it says he is a very small standard and that is what I am looking for. I do not know this person. I don't think I will email again. I am in contact with breeders of small Standards in the States. I can get one from there.

I cannot understand why person would advertise two dogs for sale -- and when I answer the ad - I get no reply!!!

Anybody got any theories?
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:41 PM

I know I read somewhere that there has been some adds for dogs that are a scam (they take money through pay-pal so you can imagine).

Now, the other thing could be is that the person didn't get all your emails? I know that kijiji (if that is the site) has plenty of issues with this.

Have you thought about a rescue at all? there is a place in Saskatoon that rescues only small dogs.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I would not get a dog from that breeder, something sound fishy about it. The poodle could be getting adopted and then returned and if this is happening you have no idea what kind issues it will have. My Standard Poodle was small for a male, people thought he was a female . But he was the right size for me. I read that the color of the poodle hair can affect it temperament,
has anyone heard of this?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:21 AM

I sometimes feel guilty not getting a cross breed rescue, but not guilty enough to stop buying purebred.

On the subject of poodle colours - I have heard --- but have no proof that brown poodles are more lively - hyper - whatever you want to call it. But I have no idea if that is just a rumour -- sometimes one dog can start a rumour that all similar looking dogs are the same.

I have a friend who THINKS she knows who the breeder is and she says she wouldn't buy a dog from her. But of course I have really no idea that the dogs that are advertised are actually owned by this woman - because she has never responded to my emails.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purley View Post
I sometimes feel guilty not getting a cross breed rescue, but not guilty enough to stop buying purebred.
There is nothing wrong with getting the dog you want. Should you choose to go through a breeder, just make sure you're going to a reputable one. The one you've described in your original post does not sound reputable at all - I would stay away from those that advertise on CL and kijiji. Good breeders have waiting lists for their pups even before the litter hits the ground.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

That does not sound like a reputable breeder to me and I would be afraid my money would be supporting a BYB. Probably a moot point if they won't even answer your emails.

I don't know about Poodles. What sort of health ailments are they prone to? What clearances do reputable breeders put on their dogs before breeding? I assume the usual hips, elbows, eyes and heart as most of the larger breeds are prone to problems like that. But I think Poodles are a bad breed for Von Willdebrands (sp?) right? So can breeders clear for that?

I assume, as with my breed, Lab, that with Poodles you also look for some kind of work in conformation or a performance sport, probably agility for you, OP, I think you do agility?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:49 AM

Poodles, like many breeds, were very inbred in the past. Mainly because people did not have access to the health testing we have today. In many breeds there is a very, very small gene pool and so health problems are hard to eliminate. Reputable breeders are doing their best to improve the situation.

There is something call The Poodle Project. It's all about genetics in poodles. I have read some of it. It's very complicated and I may never understand it all! You can google it.

In case anyone is interested, Dalmations - I am not sure if it was all - or most - had a problem with high uric acid. Some years ago a pointer was introduced to the breed and now there are low uric acid dals. I haven't studied up on this except I read that some LUA dals have smaller spots. I would call that a small price to pay.

If my friend is correct about the woman with the poodles advertised, she shows poodles and has been breeding for many years. I think she is fairly reputable but the story is that she is a bit odd and an acquaintance told me she is "bad news"; that she lives in a small house and her dogs are out barking all the time - and crated in the house. However, just because the woman is a flake -- it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with her dogs. I believe she does do health testing. I thought that if her dogs are healthy and have good temperament, it would be better off with me - than living in a crate most of the time with a "flake"!!

But - again -- we are only guessing as to who the person might be!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purley View Post
Poodles, like many breeds, were very inbred in the past. Mainly because people did not have access to the health testing we have today. In many breeds there is a very, very small gene pool and so health problems are hard to eliminate. Reputable breeders are doing their best to improve the situation.

There is something call The Poodle Project. It's all about genetics in poodles. I have read some of it. It's very complicated and I may never understand it all! You can google it.

In case anyone is interested, Dalmations - I am not sure if it was all - or most - had a problem with high uric acid. Some years ago a pointer was introduced to the breed and now there are low uric acid dals. I haven't studied up on this except I read that some LUA dals have smaller spots. I would call that a small price to pay.

If my friend is correct about the woman with the poodles advertised, she shows poodles and has been breeding for many years. I think she is fairly reputable but the story is that she is a bit odd and an acquaintance told me she is "bad news"; that she lives in a small house and her dogs are out barking all the time - and crated in the house. However, just because the woman is a flake -- it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with her dogs. I believe she does do health testing. I thought that if her dogs are healthy and have good temperament, it would be better off with me - than living in a crate most of the time with a "flake"!!

But - again -- we are only guessing as to who the person might be!
Dalmatians are prone to being deaf , Dalmatians that do not have a lot black dots on their fur there is a chance is could be deaf. This link said poodles can be deaf too

http://dalmation.us/article/health-c...ons-dalmatians
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:55 PM

I don't know a whole lot about it, but I do know that breeding white to white often produces deafness. I think that must be the problem with Dalmations with too small spots -- too much white!! A friend breeds Cotons (a rare breed) and some of them have a beige tone to their coats, or beige or grey ears. And so they like to breed these as opposed to the all white ones.

She has one male where the black pigment has not come in all around his eyelids. It's kind of pink and black blotchy. I think this is what happens if you have too much white in the lines.

I had a blue merle rough Collie years ago. If you breed blue merle to blue merle - you run the risk of getting white or blue merle blind and/or deaf puppies. Some irresponsible breeders like white Collies -- I guess they don't care!
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Why not check the poodle rescues. The breeder you are referring to is far from reputable. Honestly you need to research breeders as much as the dogs. Reputable breeders will answer your emails will not even consider adopting to you without checking you out as well. And as stated reputable breeders have waiting lists and do not advertise on Craigslist or Kijiji these are reserved for puppymills and byb.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
Why not check the poodle rescues. The breeder you are referring to is far from reputable. Honestly you need to research breeders as much as the dogs. Reputable breeders will answer your emails will not even consider adopting to you without checking you out as well. And as stated reputable breeders have waiting lists and do not advertise on Craigslist or Kijiji these are reserved for puppymills and byb.
I would check them out before getting involved with them. I would not give any person info like credit cards # etc over the phone. Some people I spoke to on the phone just did not feel right to me. They wanted too much info about me.