Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM

Question What's Wrong with my Cat, Snoopy?

Hi Pet Lovers:

My 10 year-9 month old male, neutered, indoor cat (Snoopy) is ill or old?? I've had him to the vet THREE times, all to no avail. Snoopy was a 22lb. cat who, in the past 11 months has dropped to 10lbs. The odd thing is; since losing all this weight rapidly, he has an excessive appetite which he never had before he began losing weight.

He is now just 'bone', covered by skin but eats and eats and eats and eats but is still bone thin.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

THANK YOU
Shabby
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:10 PM
~Cat Servent~

Has the vet checked his thyroid? And for diabetes?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

These are classic symptoms of hyperthyroidism, I can't believe the vet missed it. Did he draw any blood for testing? You need to take Snoopy back in tomorrow. Ask for a thyroid test. If that is what he has, it can be treated, don't worry.

Last edited by badger; January 31st, 2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:23 AM

Absolutely sounds like Hyperthyroidism - have his T3 and T4 thyroid levels checked and do it now!

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I agree - get the test done and then switch vets! Any vet that can't detect those major signs should not be getting your money.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
I agree - get the test done and then switch vets! Any vet that can't detect those major signs should not be getting your money.
Or switch vets first and get the test. Phoozles right, if your vet didn't do blood work to find out what was wrong, then switch vets.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM

Did your cat have any health problems before? Your cat is getting old and he has lost a lot of weight in such a short time (which is very dangerous). And now has a huge appetite, but is not gaining weight? He needs to have a blood and urine test, also a thyroid test. Have you ever taken him to another vet? Yours does not sound good to me, I would switch if I was you. Let us know what happened.
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd take him to another vet. If your current vet has seen him 3 times and found nothing to explain his weight loss, then they don't seem to know what they're doing.

You aren't obligated to take him to the same vet, get a second opinion for your kitty.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM

Snoopy (and me) say: THANK YOU!!!

Hi Pet Lover Friends:

THANK YOU to all of you who responded so quickly! I have taken your advice and switched vets. A good friend of mine has a fantastic vet whom she has taken her 5 cats too for the past 6 years. Snoopy will be seeing him on Monday.

My husband is dropping Snoopy off at 8:00a.m. and my friend Kathy, will meet him there. She will speak to her vet with my husband, then Snoopy will spend the day there and hubby will pick him up on his way home from work at 5:30p.m. So...we should have an answer for you all by Monday evening.

When I spoke to the vet's office today, they said they'll do a complete blood work-up and specifically mentioned it could be: hyperthyroidism or diabetes. We'll see.

By the way, I can't take old Snoop in myself as I am recovering from a heart attack scare last Saturday.

I'll be back Monday to let you know what we find out!

THANK YOU dedicated Pet Friends!

Hugs from
Snoopy!
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:41 PM

I have a cat who went through the exact same, the cat was skin & bone, I gave worm tablets I fed mince steak etc. to no avail, until she showed me her hidden kittens which she was feeding.

Now I'm (seriously!) not saying that this is the case (judging by age etc.) but it would make your vet look, well, quare silly.

Hope he improves tho'. Cats are so sociable with each other that there is no knowing what other cat is around spreading flu or the likes. Ask the SPCA if they know a vet who is knowing about cats (some country vets pooh pooh at family pets & only want a horse or a cow).
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad you changed vets,both HT and diabetis can be managed.
My 12 yr old Rocky had the exact same symptoms and is doing quiet well on meds,he has Hyper Thyroidism.
Oh,and by the way a 10yr old kitty is far from old
Good Luck at the vets!!
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
-

Glad you are changing vets to get the tests done.

Sorry to hear about your heart attack scare. That's no fun for sure and hope you are okay.

Good luck at the new vet on Monday and keep us posted.
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:16 PM

I too, already feel better about Snoopy visiting a new vet. Especially a vet whom my friend knows so well. I'll also be taking my 2 very spoiled, big baby, German Shepherds to him from now on as well...that is...if I like him. I'm sure I will as Kathy talks about him non-stop and his office was so, so pleasant on the phone with me today and seemed to be sincerely concerned for Snoopy.

As for Snoopy having "hidden kittens"...not a chance. 1st he is male, 2nd he's been neutered and 3rd he has never been outside. lol

The heart attack scare was truly one of the most terrifying incidents I've been through. Chest pain, tingling left hand, arm and shoulder, nasuea, difficulty breathing etc. But..I DID turn "50" yesterday! I don't want to be 50 anything!!
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
-

A belated to you.

Welcome to the over 50 club ...there are a few of us here and this is my motto .....
Attached Images

Old February 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM

Dear Rainbow:

THANK YOU for the belated '50th' birthday wishes!!!! How very, very, VERY nice of you!!!!! You are an

And...I haven't grown up yet and hope I don't! I still don't want to be 50, or 50 anything for that matter, but I have no choice.

THANK YOU again.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:04 AM
-

In a couple of years you will get used to it. I am going to be 60 next month. I just wish that my body would feel as young as my mind does.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:41 AM

Shabby - for the heart attack scare I hope you got checked out by a Dr

and Happy Belated Birthday

I'm so glad you've getting Snoopy retested with a vet someone close to you has recommended

for the visit Monday, my Duffy had Hyperthyroidism (she has been cured through one available treatment) so I know how scary the huge weight loss is Both Hyperthyroidism & Diabetes can be controlled

Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
~Cat Servent~

Wow... lots of excitement for you huh... well Happy Birthday!... Hope you never have another heart attack scare...and good luck to Snoopy for monday! Hope you get a manageable answer! :

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
In a couple of years you will get used to it. I am going to be 60 next month. I just wish that my body would feel as young as my mind does.
I hope you're right! I really, really, really, really don't want to be 50 I hear re: the body not feeling young. I've been housebound now for 4 years!

Cheers
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Shabby - for the heart attack scare I hope you got checked out by a Dr

and Happy Belated Birthday

I'm so glad you've getting Snoopy retested with a vet someone close to you has recommended

for the visit Monday, my Duffy had Hyperthyroidism (she has been cured through one available treatment) so I know how scary the huge weight loss is Both Hyperthyroidism & Diabetes can be controlled
Yes, hubby called 911 and I was taken by ambulance and have to see my own doctor this Wednesday.

Thanks for the belated birthday wishes.

I'm feeling much better about my poor old Snoopy and can hardly wait until he see's the new vet on Monday. I'll miss him because hubby is dropping him off at 8:00a.m. and I won't see him again until around 6:00 or so. His weight loss is pathetic and makes me sad each time I look at him. I'm just praying the vet can determine what's wrong and that he tells me it IS treatable.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Wow... lots of excitement for you huh... well Happy Birthday!... Hope you never have another heart attack scare...and good luck to Snoopy for monday! Hope you get a manageable answer! :

My life has had too much excitement since July of 2006! I keep surrendering but no one appears to be listening!

Thank you for all your good wishes! Ya know, I've learned that pet owners are the most truly compassionate, caring and loving people in the world and it's very TRUE! I haven't been on this site since 2004 and I'm sorry now I haven't kept in touch but will do so from here on in.

Everyone here is so genuinely caring about their pets and their owners!

THANK YOU
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you for all your good wishes! Ya know, I've learned that pet owners are the most truly compassionate, caring and loving people in the world and it's very TRUE! I haven't been on this site since 2004 and I'm sorry now I haven't kept in touch but will do so from here on in.

OMG you have been around for 2 yrs longer than me...you have 14 or so posts and I have 1200 or so! I guess this reply should read

Hi I am Winstons Mom! ..... I am addicted to pets.ca!!

Just kidding ! Your right this is a great place and alot of wonderful people!
Hope your feeling better! Sending good vibes for Snoopy on Monday!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Rottie owner and lover

With the blood work, would they see liver failure or kidney disease. That is much too much weight to lose.
My moms cat and my own were both rushed to EMG vet for the drastic weight loss, and were informed that both were liver damaged...
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Rottielover,anything is possible,but this is exactly how Rocky was ,extreemly hungry all the time,pacing and weightloss.
He went from 16lb's to 12lb's in no time and he ate a lot of food.
He was diagnosed with HT.
But of course a lot of problems have similar symptoms.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post

OMG you have been around for 2 yrs longer than me...you have 14 or so posts and I have 1200 or so! I guess this reply should read

Hi I am Winstons Mom! ..... I am addicted to pets.ca!!

Just kidding ! Your right this is a great place and alot of wonderful people!
Hope your feeling better! Sending good vibes for Snoopy on Monday!

Cindy
I think I have alot of catching up to do! My measely 14 or so posts vs. your 1200 and counting.....
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
With the blood work, would they see liver failure or kidney disease. That is much too much weight to lose.
My moms cat and my own were both rushed to EMG vet for the drastic weight loss, and were informed that both were liver damaged...
Oh my goodness, liver damage!!!!! Awww, that's terrible. What was the outcome?
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Rottielover,anything is possible,but this is exactly how Rocky was ,extreemly hungry all the time,pacing and weightloss.
He went from 16lb's to 12lb's in no time and he ate a lot of food.
He was diagnosed with HT.
But of course a lot of problems have similar symptoms.
Sorry I'm butting in on your note to Rottielover, but wanted to ask you if Rocky recovered?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Shabby,there are still a few problems to work out,like meds dosage and he's had runny poop for a long time,but otherwise he is a happy,cuddly,playful 12yr old kitty and I hope he has at least another 8 yrs to live
I also at one time had a diabetic cat,who with the help of insulin lived to be 17yrs old,when he succumbed to cancer.(Peppi)

I too am in the process of introducing myself and my cats to a new vet,I'll be seeing him tomorrow.
Also,50yrs is a milestone for sure,49 sounds sooo much younger,but when you reach my age(64 since jan) things like age don't matter anymore.
It just hits you,you cannot plan as far ahead as you used to and treasure every new spring..
and you are right,some of the best people in the world are members of this Forum
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Shabby,there are still a few problems to work out,like meds dosage and he's had runny poop for a long time,but otherwise he is a happy,cuddly,playful 12yr old kitty and I hope he has at least another 8 yrs to live
I also at one time had a diabetic cat,who with the help of insulin lived to be 17yrs old,when he succumbed to cancer.(Peppi)

I too am in the process of introducing myself and my cats to a new vet,I'll be seeing him tomorrow.
Also,50yrs is a milestone for sure,49 sounds sooo much younger,but when you reach my age(64 since jan) things like age don't matter anymore.
It just hits you,you cannot plan as far ahead as you used to and treasure every new spring..
and you are right,some of the best people in the world are members of this Forum
Thank you for all the knowledge you've provided me regarding my sweet old Snoopy! Snoopy is the first cat we've ever owned as I am actually deathly allergic to cats but I love them. We had adopted an 8 year old beagle from an Animal Society in Lakefield a few years back. The third day we had him, he attacked our son Michael in the middle of the night, tore him from his bed and literally attacked him like he was a rag doll. This dog tore Mike's right eye open right across the line in his eye lid. We thought he was going to lose his sight in that eye, but fortunately he didn't. Mike still has the scar.

The Lakefield Animal Shelter took Macky and quarantined him for 15 days and then destroyed him. The vet who investigated said this dog was suffering from something called "idiopathic rage". He had apparently been terribly abused by the previous owner whose original intention was to use Macky as a hunting dog. However, Macky was found to have a heart murmur so he was religated to this man's backyard, chained to a tree 24/7 for the past 6 years before we got him. The vet said when this dog slept, he often had "nightmares" about the abuse and would attack anything that was closest to him. Macky unfortunately that night, was sleeping just inside Mike's bedroom door. Mike was only 7 at the time. So...Lakefield Animal Shelter felt terrible and told us to come and pick another dog for free but Mike didn't want another dog at the time. He BEGGED for a cat! I called my physician to ask if she thought it possible for me to get used to a cat with my severe allergy to them. She believed it would be tough, but I could probably build up a 'tolerance' to him. So..we took Snoopy when we was 9 months old. I lived on mega doses of allergy meds for about 6 months but did build a tolerance. I still have terrible reactions if he accidentally scratches me when I cut his nails, or if he rubs his face on mine. I'm also still extremely allergic to other people's cats, like my friend Kathy who has 5!

So we're both introducing our pets to new vets tomorrow! Quite a day for the animals. I'll definitely be on the site tomorrow evening when my husband picks up Snoopy after work to let everyone know what this new vet has found.

Happy Belated 64th Birthday!!! THAT is a milestone!! People always say they're "29 and holding"...I'd be happy now to say I'm "49" and holding!! But, 50 is the new reality, no matter how grim it makes me feel.

Have a great evening and thank you again for sharing!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM

:sad: sorry to hear about your son & the issues with Macky :sad:

I hope you have friends w/dogs that Mike can play with & that you take Mike to the park so he can interact with happy friendly dogs & not develop a complete fear of all dogs