Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 11th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Dog owner seeking advice on false poop accusations

I just got a nasty phone call from my Condo Manager (I own the unit). He said he received a letter complaint from another unit owner that I wasn't picking up my dogs poop on the property. He was very threatening and said if I was caught or he received more complaints he'd fine me and kick my dog out of the building.

Here's the thing... I ALWAYS pick up my dogs poop, I have thousands of poop bags at all times and nothing drives me more crazy then someone who just leaves it out there for my dog and I to avoid stepping in.

He's a very large black Lab, wouldn't hurt a fly, and I cant remember the last time he ever barked (I dont even know if he still can!?). People see his size and are automatically afraid of him and I think someone has made it their mission to get him kicked out.

I guess I just need advice as to what I should do? I can continue to keep being diligent picking up everything but whats to stop this person from making another false claim to get us in trouble? Can a condo A: Fine me and B: Kick my dog out, without any proof what so ever other then a 'eye witness'

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: If it helps, I'm in the GTA
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

How many dogs live at the your condo? Are there any coyotes coming into your yard ? I had a standard poodle that was my hearing dog and I kept finding poop in my condo driveway. I was worried people would complain I was not picking after my dog. It turn out to be coyotes scats , I could tell by seeing a lot fur and red berries in it. Does the poop in question look like dog poop ? Could you do a little investigation and watch people when they bring their dog out you might be able be able to find the 'guilty dog owner.
The only other thing you could do get a DNA test done on your dog and have the poop in question tested to show it's not your dog poop. There are cities doing this to find owners that do not pick up after their dogs. I had this happen with my last and I knew the guy was . No one liked him and my dog hated him too. He was smart dog. Have you called the COA and see if they can give you any suggestions ?
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM

The DNA idea is brilliant actually.
Next time we're accused I'll ask them to take me to the scene of the crime and I'll take a sample and have it tested against my dogs.

All of a sudden that eye witness will be a LOT less creditable.

Thanks!
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum LabOwner2014,

I LOVE the DNA idea BD

But Really, no reason that YOU need to pay to have a strange dog's poop tested. Let the condo association fees pay. All you need to do is say that because you are a responsible pet owner, you always pick up after your dog.
But In order to prove this and avoid conflict, you have already tested your own dog's poop so that it can be 100% identified if need be.

Because some people are afraid of your dog, it makes sense to keep dooger close by, perhaps let people know that the dog is very gentle....just to get people more at ease and friendlier with the situation. (if this is possible).
Make the dog sit when they walk by so they see it's obedient and they are less fearful....might be a suggestion.
From loads of experience, lol - Living around strange people is a lot easier when everyone feel as little stress as possible. Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by marko; April 11th, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Some people are just looking for something to do with their day!! Man I hate that!

You could also stop allowing your dog to go on the property and if you are accused you can promptly say that since the last accusation you decided to move your dog elsewhere and this way that cant accuse you??

Love the DNA idea too! although sadly it will likely be expensive.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Surely an accuser would have to provided the dates and times you were out with your dog and supposedly not picking up poop? I would think the place the poop was deposited would also have to be given by the accuser. Heck, I think I might even ask to see the poop. I bet you could prove you were at work or something when these episodes happened and that would save everyone the cost of DNA testing. I have no doubt there is poop because there are bad dog owners but you are not one of them. This is similar to a fear of mine that my dog will be accused of non-stop barking when really it's the dog next door.

You need to check your condo rules and by-laws too. It seems ridiculous you can be accused on someone else's say so with no evidence or proof.

FWIW a bunch of us at a place I walk hold a pooper picker upper day each spring. Of course all of us who show up are the good dog owners and none of the poop left over winter is from our dogs but it looks terrible and we are concerned about the reflection on us and our dogs. Maybe you could organize such a day? Gee, by this time last year we'd done it already. Still covered with snow this year. I guess that means there will be more of it.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

My hearing dog was accused of taking poop in the hallway and I was send a letter from condo saying I will have to pay for rug to be cleaned. My dog did not poop in the hallway , it spring and the ground was very muddy people where tacking mud into the building . I had to call my manger and tell this two times . I own my condo out right and the guy that made the false accusations was afraid of my black standard poodle. I was the only person that had a dog as Finlay was my hearing dog. I know what it's like to have people made false accusations and the jerk making was the trustee of my building . So I really can relate to what the OP is going through . I asked how many dogs live at the condo , b/c the size of the poop could work in their favor . If the poop are very small it would not be from a lab. Did someone new just moved into the condo ? If yes they could be afraid of your dog and trying to made have to give him away . The guy in my building was trying his best to this with my dog b/c he was afraid of him.