Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 5th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I think I'm winning the battle with food!

A couple of weeks ago I got some samples of Natures Variety raw. I've been wanting to try feeding my gang raw, but first I need to get them away from the Fancy Feast. So, I decided to take one step at a time. I tried mixing the FF with Evo canned, but it didn't set well with Vlad and Kiska. Kiska was throwing up and Vlad had some diarrhea. I've tried on several occasions to switch them to wellness with no luck. But, I decided to give it one more try. I bought them some grain free wellness in several flavors that would match the Fancy Feast. I started slow, and am now up to half and half!

I've never gotten this far! I'll keep them on the half and half for another week or two and add a little more wellness until I can get them on the full wellness. I've been leaving them a small amount of kibble during the day. They all like Evo and Organix which I feel comfortable giving them. I've been leaving them about 1/4 cup in each of their bowls.

This evening I decided to start adding some butternut squash to their food too, because now I've got 3 who are having hairball issues. Oksana has always had problems, now Kiska and Maks are showing to have some issues. They hack and cough, but then I see them swallow and lick their lips. So it seems they can't bring it up. Which leads me to think I need to get them to get it out the other end.

I went to the Whole Foods market on my way home and found a baby food brand called Earth's Best Organic. The ingredients are organic corn, organic butternut squash and water. My only concern is the corn. I know it's not anything harmful to them, but I'm wondering if that will get in the way of what I want the butternut squash to do. I couldn't find just butternut squash baby food.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Kitty pimp

i am reading this with great interest bscause DU is a FF junkie and would love to get her off it
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I think my biggest mistake before was I didn't start them off as slowly as I have now. The key really is to start mixing the wellness little bit by little bit. My gang LOVE their FF! I had already only bought them the flavors with no wheat gluten, so those are like pate. The consistency is the same as the wellness so I think that made it easier to mask too.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/