Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Question Loosing weight?

My 14-year-old male Siamese cat 'Putty' has an odd thing going on. Every two months or so, he'll suddenly lose weight and get very bony, and get very touchy if you pet/palpate his hip area. Granted, he's not ever been a cat who enjoys attention, but its definitely not his normal reaction. This has been going on for over a year now. At first I switched cat foods around thinking that he needed something to cater to his age. During his good times, he's blooming and in great weight and amazing condition. But then he goes downhill for awhile ... ?!

He is a stricly indoor cat, who lives with another Siamese the same age -- she doesn't have this problem, in fact since the last cat food change she's practically reliving her kitten-hood !! We have two dogs (Golden and JRT) but the cats rule the roost, so he's not getting picked on or anything.

During his off times, he can still jump up onto the dryer to eat cat food, his stool is normal, water intake is good, sleeps normally, still plays with the other cat, still picks on the dogs ... everything seems fine!?

I tried deworming him last year, but it didn't seem to make a difference either way. He doesn't have fleas or ticks either.

I'm trying to get an idea of what this could be, before I consider taking him to the vet.

Any ideas? Suggestions?!

Thanks,

- S
Black River Farm

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm thinking he really needs a senior wellness exam. Elderly cats should get blood work and a urinalysis done at least once a year, if not twice, so that should be your priority if you haven't had it done recently. Also ask the vet about a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement like Cosequin. Studies have shown that 80-90% of cats over the age of 12 have some degree of arthritis, so even if that isn't the main problem here, it wouldn't hurt to address the issue.

Other than that, what is Putty eating these days?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler