Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Question New Dog has wandering soul-tips?

[F][/FONT]

Our recently adopted dog (12/31/08), Sammie, went missing for 6 days. We only had her for 8 days before she went missing from our fenced back yard. Now she is home. Whenever I let her out in the back yard to play, she paces back and forth from gate to gate-looking for a way out.

She is very sweet and is starting to warm up to us. She was playing a little bit of fetch with our son just yesterday. We were elated. This morning, she seemed preoccupied with finding a way out.

Our bonding time has been interrupted with her because she went missing. She is 2 y/o. Is she trying to find her way back home to a previous owner? Have any of you experienced this yourself with an adopted young dog?
Attached Images

Old January 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Doggie Wench

Our Lucky was like that for the first couple of months. Always looking to wander. Whether it's because he's a Spitz-type cross or just wasn't bonded to us yet, I don't know. Maybe it was a combination of the two. He also wasn't neutered yet so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it as well.

Seeing that Sammy is a Beagle, I'm sure her breed may have something to do with it. Beagles are notorious for their scent tracking. Once my BIL's Beagle picks up on something, it's next to impossible to call him off.

I would suggest she gets lots of exercise. Especially if she's an energetic young dog. How often do you walk her? How often does she run in the yard playing? You can also teach her to play Hide and Seek using a toy that interests her or some yummy treats. I think she would especially love this game. A tired dog is a good dog. Taking a basic obedience class with her will also help with the bonding. Recall is probably the one command you would want her to learn 100% if she has a tendency to take off.

In the meantime, don't let her in your yard unsupervised. Every time she goes out, make sure someone accompanies her at all times. You've probably thought of this but, make sure there is no way possible that she can escape the yard. Get down to her level, literally crawl the perimeter of your property, and secure any areas that are large enough for her to squeeze by. You can use chicken wire along the bottom of your fence (dig it under the earth as well by a good 10-12 inches if possible to prevent her from digging out).

I'm so happy for you, and for her, that you've been reunited. With time, training, sufficient exercise, bonding, and supervision, she'll not be looking to wander elsewhere. It'll be too much fun at home!
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

yup, i'd chalk her wandering up to the fact that she's a beagle. they're scent and tracking abilities are really unmatched. luckypenny gave you excellent advice, i second all of what's already been said! Obedience classes are great for establishing a bond. You may even be able to find a scent tracking class or group to put her natural abilities to work - it would certainly give her an outlet for her "wandering".

btw - adorable dog! and for adopting!! we'd love to see more pics of Sammie!
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
-

I third the fact that she has Beagle in her. It explains her need to wander.

She's a cutie !
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:31 PM

As we say down here...

As we say down here ...

That rat chere is uh Cutie Patootie.

Thanks Jess and Frenchy for the compliments. We are so proud of her.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post

I would suggest she gets lots of exercise. Especially if she's an energetic young dog. How often do you walk her? How often does she run in the yard playing? You can also teach her to play Hide and Seek using a toy that interests her or some yummy treats. I think she would especially love this game. A tired dog is a good dog. Taking a basic obedience class with her will also help with the bonding. Recall is probably the one command you would want her to learn 100% if she has a tendency to take off.

In the meantime, don't let her in your yard unsupervised. Every time she goes out, make sure someone accompanies her at all times. You've probably thought of this but, make sure there is no way possible that she can escape the yard. Get down to her level, literally crawl the perimeter of your property, and secure any areas that are large enough for her to squeeze by. You can use chicken wire along the bottom of your fence (dig it under the earth as well by a good 10-12 inches if possible to prevent her from digging out).

I'm so happy for you, and for her, that you've been reunited. With time, training, sufficient exercise, bonding, and supervision, she'll not be looking to wander elsewhere. It'll be too much fun at home!
I agree with Luckypenny. And, good luck ....with a Beagle, you'll need it.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Don't I know

We've been outside playing a little, and I can't get her interested in fetch. She did it with my son. She likes to run and chase him. I did the same thing, but I am much taller and he is small. She seems to like him. She is still preoccupied with getting out. , curious dog. LOL
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Missing My Bubba Bear

I had a huge problem with the bruno the yorkie when I first started to watch him. For the first 3 months at least, if you weren't holding on to him every moment he was gone like lightening. He would chew his harness or leash and bolt.
give it time. and watch him like a hawk.