Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old December 17th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Game Cameras, Good Thing? Or Bad Thing?

I wasn't pleased a few weeks ago to find a game camera in a place I go in winter. I know there's hunting there but all these high tech aids to find animals just seem so unfair. The game camera I found is going to have lots of shots of me and my dog on it. Hopefully some other dog walkers too as I alerted some and urged them to go by so whoever is hunting will get the idea he's not the only one using that area. The camera is legal and so is hunting there.

Today I got a different opinion of game cameras. The OH was at his MNR Christmas party and mentionned the camera I found. The COs know about it and they're not too keen but, as said, the darn things are legal. However, recently one worked in their favour.

A deer hunter had set one up for the first shotgun season and when he got around to taking it down he found pictures of two men on an ATV with a buck they'd just shot. Two weeks after shotgun season was over. It was obvious they had no idea the camera was there. The pictures are dated. He turned the pictures over to MNR and apparently they were able to identify either the men or their vehicle. The CO whose area it was went to the hunter's address and played with him for a bit. The guy lied of course and said no way, he hadn't shot a deer out of season. Then the Co showed him the incriminating photos. The guy's been charged.

I'm having different thoughts about those cameras now. Poetic justice, wouldn't you say, for one hunter to catch a poacher out that way?
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Doggie Wench

What's MNR and CO ?

Poetic justice indeed. What are the fines/penalties for something like that?
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
What's MNR and CO ?

Poetic justice indeed. What are the fines/penalties for something like that?
In ONtario, Ministry of Natural Resources and Conservation Officer. Sorry for not expanding.

Fines, penalties can range. Guy could have lost his guns, his ATV, his hunting license, maybe even his truck. Fines, don't know, will ask the OH. Don't know the particulars for this case. I think this one is recent and hasn't come to court yet.
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Game cameras are great. We actually use them for our program.
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Gunpowder was invented for a good reason too. Oh, oh, that sounds flip and I meant it in a good way. I read somewhere that the only invention/thing/commodity/what-have-you that does not have a tolerable level is nicotine.

I agree with Noah Grey. Most things have their good and bad uses. But you know what that darn camera has done? Made me awfully nervous about those pit stops in the bush.

Yesterday I went back to the place where I first saw the camera. It's gone now. Surprising how ATV use in the dead of winter can damage wetland ground right down through the snow.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
But you know what that darn camera has done? Made me awfully nervous about those pit stops in the bush.
This made me LOL. Thanks!