Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Just got offered a Boston Puppy! AH!

AH! One of my co-workers just came up to me and asked if I wanted a Boston Terrier puppy!!!! He knows I've been looking for one. His friend from Texas found a stray Boston Terrier a month ago and ended up keeping her. She was pregnant when he found her and while they were up here visiting, she just had her puppies yesterday. She had SIX! Isn't that a lot for a little dog?? I thought they had smaller litters?? Anyway, the mother isn't doing so well from complications and is at the vet now with all the puppies. They have 4 females and 2 males. They don't know who the father is of course, but they said the puppies all look like Bostons. BUt I have no idea how much you can tell at birth either. But anyway, they said I can have one of the little girls if I want one. They are going back to Texas in a week, so I would have to drive down to pick her up or they offered to ship her. (Is that safe, to ship a puppy??) I haven't even seen them yet as I just found out about all this ten minutes ago and am reeling. I asked my coworker to ask if I could have the mother instead, LOL! I never planned on having a puppy because I just don't know if I'm able to properly train and socialize them with my crazy work schedule. It's been years since I've had to deal with a tiny puppy. The last time we had one was when I was a teenager and my family adopted one from the neighbors. So I am basically a newbie with puppies.

SO, I am here for advice from those more knowledgable. First and foremost, I have to do a rescue dog. Since the mother was a pregnant rescue, would the puppies qualify as rescue too do you think? And even more importantly, do you think it's even possible for me to properly raise a puppy? I work 9-10 hours every day, M-F, and I am single. My dog walker comes half way through that time every day, so the puppy would be left alone for abut four hours, have attention for about a half hour, and then be alone again for another four hours until I get home. So obviously, not ideal. Which is why I've only ever looked at older Boston rescues. I've been looking in the 1-3 year age range. But I can make arrangements. I have a LOT of vacation time, so I can easily take the first two weeks off work or else I could work half days for 3-4 weeks, where I would be gone four hours and have my dog walker come in the middle of that, so it would only be 2 hours or so alone. That's what I'm leaning towards at the moment, if this could even work. But I could of course only do that for a month at most or else I would just get way too far behind in my work, not to mention have no vacation time left for the rest of the year and I already have a little trip planned in Sept that I've already paid for (taking Petey and now maybe another dog to Mackinaw Island!). So beyond that first month, I'd be back to having it be about four hours between visits. My sister could also help me out for a little while and go to my house while I'm gone too, so I could probably find enough people to help me so the puppy wouldnt be alone too long. And I would of course do puppy training classes at whatever age you start those at. I would also need to make sure she would get proper socialization when I am home, so that would involve introducing her to new things, people, children, etc. I would think I would be visiting my nieces and cousins a lot, LOL! But is that enough for a puppy?? Or is my situation just too impossible do you think?

I dont know what to think! Like I said, I never planned on a puppy because I didn't think my situatin would be fair to one. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now, LOL!

On a more sad note, we just left a message for the owner asking for how the mother is doing. Poor thing! So I'm waiting to hear back. And to hopefully get some pictures too! Oh, and I asked my co-worker and he said yes, they do plan to get the mother spayed too, so she will never have to go through this ever again. Her condition sounds pretty critical, so we're all waiting to hear.
Old June 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Smiley,I hope the little mom will make it that's so sad,but at least she is getting good care now.
I too would probably opt for the mom,puppies will always get a home.
However if you get a little baby-girl,I am sure everyone here will be eager to help.
Hope you get some pics for us
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM

By the sounds of it, you are taking lots more into consideration that most would..

You should be ok given you have a dog walker. I found coming home mid-day to take Charley out was vital to the house training. He was just over 3 months old before he stopped using his papers while he was alone, but he was over 6 months old before he could hold it all day. Given the long period of aloneness you might have to consider alternatives to straight crate training, which yes, means it'll take longer, but at the end of the day, it'll be more successful.
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Well it would be tough for a puppy, especially a small breed, at 8 weeks they can't hold their bladders for longer than an hour, 2 hours at most. Puppies also need tons of attention and stimulation which they wouldn't get sitting at home by themselves all day. I just don't think 10 hours alone is fair to a puppy, even if a dog walker does come in. So if I was in your position, I would opt for an adult dog, perhaps you could take the mother?
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM

You can do it!

First I think that the puppy is a rescue.. .they were all rescued. It's true that it's easier for them to find homes, but still...

Second, I found that raising a puppy with another dog was A LOT easier than doing it with just one. They had company when I was at work. Petey, I assume, is good with puppies? I did it with my first dog- I had 8h days, with a walker coming half way through. It wasn't ideal, but it did work out. I used play gates and made a 'puppy room', because I felt that crating for that long was unfair. The pup paper trained quickly.

I think it is a great opportunity to give a pup a home that will get used to you and your home and Petey from the get go. Good luck. hope the momma is ok.
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM
-

First of all , let me say : woohoo ! That being said , I know being in a rescue I should tell you since you work all day, a puppy is out of the question , BUT , is everyone that gets a puppy take a year off to train it ? NO ! It's not like the pup would be alone all day, you have a dog walker. You would have to crate the pup tough, too many dangerous things to get into in the house , even when puppy proof. Personally , I would go for the mom, but it's not me , it's you. I sure hope everything works fine for the mom it's very critical for the pups that she be able to feed them and take care of them.
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM

You should take the mom if you have a choice but they are all rescues.A puppy is doable like others said.It would be good if you could trust someone to come and give the pupy a potty break and tire her out with a little game of fetch!Bostons LOVE,LOVE,LOVE a bouncy squeeky CUZ!(Most breeds too i'm guessing)Also I think a crate would be the biggest priority purchase you should make because they are chewers and put everything in thier mouths!My Boston is 18 months old and he is crate trained.Best thing I ever did.We are also looking for a female Boston rescue.Good luck to you!
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys!!!

I've been waiting anxiously all day, but still haven't heard anything yet. My co-worker has left this person two messages and a text message without any response yet. He saw them briefly yesterday, but didn't take any pictures of them. So he's going to get some pics and more information for me as soon as he hears back from his friend. He thinks they may have gone camping today. They mentioned something about going camping yesterday when he saw them apparently. So then I asked, but what about the dogs?? And he thinks they're all at the vet right now, but doesn't know for sure. So he is going to first ask about the Mom for me and then get pictures. The Mom wasn't mentioned as a possibility for adoption, but I'm going to ask about her anyway! Also, from what he was describing to me, it sounds like the puppies are a mix. He said they were mostly white with black patches. But I don't care about that, I just don't know if I can take on a baby! I'm still trying to think it all through and have been reading information online. I wanted to talk to my trainer too. But first, I would love to get more information before really making any decisions! AH! Who goes camping the day after puppies are born?! I sure hope the Mom is okay; I'm worried about her. Bostons aren't meant to deliver naturally. So I'm still sitting here impatiently waiting. If they did go camping up north, they very likely don't have cell phone reception. At least I know I don't when I'm up there.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
-

patience Smiley14 you will need it , if you ever decide to take a puppy , you will have to wait another 8 weeks
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
patience Smiley14 you will need it , if you ever decide to take a puppy , you will have to wait another 8 weeks
Yep, lots of time to prepare... that this works out good for you...and the mom!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, I know. I'm just really anxious for info and pics! Can you tell I tend to be impatient though? I reallyyyy hate waiting.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14 View Post
LOL, I know. I'm just really anxious for info and pics! Can you tell I tend to be impatient though? I reallyyyy hate waiting.
Here's a pic of a multi dog household to help with the wait

Last edited by Frenchy; September 9th, 2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, LOL! That is too funny!!!!
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

i would opt for the mom but ive never really had the desire to have a puppy .... im not a fan of babies they're cute but i dont know adult dogs rock!
anyways best of luck with what ever you decide.
some dog walkers may offer cheaper puppy visits twice a day for the pup to help with house training... see if your dog walking can offer that!

best of luck!
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Ask your friend what vet the mommy and babies went too and call to inquire about the health of mom.I'm sure if you let them know your worried sick they will tell you something?
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

One of the best sources of puppy-raising info, IMO, is this free download: BEFORE You Get Your Puppy. Choose the one with the pics, even though it takes longer. It has some great ideas about creating long-term and short-term confinement areas, and using stuff like actual sod rather than newspaper for house-training. Either way, if you give it quick once-over, it might help you with your decision.

Hope that momma and pups are doing okay!
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM
N/A

Oh Smiley14, you have really thought things through with adding a new fur member to your family.
Everyone here has so much wonderful information to share in helping you if you decide on getting one of the puppies, you will be fine.

I do hope momma and the babies are ok, and you get some news soon.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM

I'm quite excited for you too. Keep us updated please.
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Still waiting for info today, although we did get a small update at least! They finally texted back and said they are camping and are mostly out of range, but will be back tomorrow. They are supposed to send us pics tomorrow and let me know if Mom is up for adoption or not. They did say that Mom is doing better though, so that's great news at least!
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM

I think you can take on a pup. I was in the exact same situation, less the dog walker and my guy turned out just fine (but them I'm biased a bit aren't I). The crate in the x-pen system works well for pups who don't have bladder control yet. The idea is to slowly decrease the size of the pen until you have just enough room in the pen for news papers and the crate (with the door removed).

Heres what Charley's 'cage' looked like when we started. (and the food and water are only in there because it was dinner time at the time the picture was taken). The nice thing about x-pens is that they are easy to fold up when not in use.
Attached Images

Old June 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM
-

This must be so exciting for you, Steph. Glad the mom is doing better. Good luck and hope you get more info today.
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Finally got an email from the woman who rescued Mom! She has adopted the Mom herself, so unfortunately, I can't adopt Mom. But this woman works as a Vet Tech, so knows what she's doing. I feel so much better after finding that out! Anyway, here is the email I got from her, telling a little bit about the background of the Bostons:

Hi,
I just wanted to get in touch with you early so you had someone to contact.

We found "Hildi" about a month ago in our small town of Orange Grove TX
eating road kill on the street with another boston. We picked them up
because 2 bostons would obviously be lost and not strays...right? anyway,
no one claimed them (our area is a popular dump site for unwanted pets). We
placed Hildi's friend in a home a few weeks ago. It became apparent that
she was going to have puppies so we took her with us on our trip to MN so
that she would not have any complications with the whelping. Her companion
must have been the sire because these pups are definately bostons (we were
unsure of what those puppies were going to be!).

There are 4 females and 2 males. I am unsure right now if some will brindle
out like their mom.
I will get pictures to you as soon as I can. They are too vulnerable to
things right now for visitors, or else I would show them to you in person.

thanks!

Bless her for saving them all! So I am still waiting for pictures at this point. And now that I know Mom isn't an option, I have to make the big decision about a puppy or not! I'm pretty sure I'll do it though. I've been reading book and online all week and talked to my trainer and dog walker and family to make sure I would have the support I need with this little girl to give her the right upbringing and socialization that is so critical. I'm a little nervous, but I know I can make it work! Obviously, since they were just born on Sunday, I wouldn't get the puppy for 8-10 weeks, but it's exciting to be going through the process right now! I emailed her back a few questions and offered to loan her a camera to get pictures tonight (as hers isn't working on the computer in the place she is staying at right now), so I'll see what she says!

Thank you all so much for the advice and support!!!!

Last edited by Smiley14; June 6th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
-

I'm glad the mom is in good hands. You must be soo excited !
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM

I am so happy the mom is ok!
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

This would still count as a rescue, right? I'm feeling a little conflicted about that.

And oh yes, forgot to say that YES, Mom is doing well now! YAY!
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM
-

Yes it's still a rescue
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Why are you conflicted?Because it's a puppy?A rescue is an animal in need of a loving home where it will be LOVED,SAFE,WARM and CARED FOR.Regardless of age.These people did not breed the mommy(we think...)if mommy is/was rescued and pregnant all her babies are rescues as well.Good luck with your decision!I personally LOVE the puppy phase!I have alot of patience for it.Mind you I love when the puppy training is finished also!
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I suppose partly because it's a puppy. Being a BT puppy, she shouldn't have any problems finding homes quickly for all of them. I look through petfinder and I see so many babies needing homes, it breaks my heart. I've wanted a BT for so long though, but I just feel a bit selfish choosing a puppy and a desireable one at that! I'm a little nervous about having a puppy too! But I am excited at the thought of being able to shape her little growing years.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You'll soon be too busy to feel selfish about getting a puppy...they're a whole bunch of work! You forget so quickly once they're grown up that they were once little hellions...but it will all come back to you, you lucky girl! Puppies are good people! I'm envious!

Don't forget the bicycle gloves for those trying teething weeks... I'll never raise another puppy without having at least two pair on hand!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:14 AM
-

This is getting so exciting. <--- "excited smiley" And, Petey is getting a baby sister. :love: Congratulations, Steph.