Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM

kitten sneaking Hills K/D food

We have a kitten and a 14 year old cat. The older cat has been on the renal health Hills K/D food for several years. We have been giving our kitten Hills Kitten food but she often eats the K/D food. I am not sure how to stop this from happening or if it is a real problem given that the kitten also does eat some of the more appropriate kitten food. Any advice?
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

My dogs hate Hill dog food so I am surprise your cats eat it at all . Can you put the older cat up so the kitten can't reach it. If your older cat it still able to jump up build a self that it use to eat at.
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:31 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Maybe this will help both of your cats............

http://www.catinfo.org/

In particular, this section............

http://www.catinfo.org/#Kidney_Failure

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Good links 14+ thx.

I don't think there's much harm in the kitten eating occasional K/D food but I'm not a vet - you should try to confirm with your vet.

I can tell you that that our cat Twiggy loves the Hills prescription D/D (kibble and wet) that her brother requires for his skin allergies. Her entire diet consists of d/d wet 2x a day and kibble 1 time a day. Our vet had no problems with this but cats are different than kittens.

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Good links 14+ thx.

I don't think there's much harm in the kitten eating occasional K/D food but I'm not a vet - you should try to confirm with your vet.

I can tell you that that our cat Twiggy loves the Hills prescription D/D (kibble and wet) that her brother requires for his skin allergies. Her entire diet consists of d/d wet 2x a day and kibble 1 time a day. Our vet had no problems with this but cats are different than kittens.

Good luck!
I was surprise when a vet told me the prescription pet food was junk and her office carried it.
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
I was surprise when a vet told me the prescription pet food was junk and her office carried it.
Then the vet's ethics are in question aren't they

The food we feed our cats has worked to clear up a persistent skin issue in one of our cats so for us, it's certainly not junk.
Vets and other members are free to call the food junk...but it's working for us in a big way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Can you put the older cat up so the kitten can't reach it.
UPDATE

You were on the right track. We put the kitten food up on the dryer and it has been this arrangement since August. It appears that the older cat can't jump this high.

But to be honest we probably dont need to do this as whenever we put down food for each (at the same time) they consume it all in one go.

FWIW, each cat gets a high quality wet food (usually "Hounds and Gatos" and the dry is "Orijen" (we no longer give the older cat the KD prescription Hills Diet).
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Then the vet's ethics are in question aren't they

The food we feed our cats has worked to clear up a persistent skin issue in one of our cats so for us, it's certainly not junk.
Vets and other members are free to call the food junk...but it's working for us in a big way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
The vet just worked at the office , but I doubt that the owner would like her telling people the food is junk.