Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 15th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post

Good luck with the bread.
thanks. hey i have to try everything at this point.
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM

I can't recall if this was mentioned in the other thread but have you tried boiled chicken breast? Perhaps a homecooked diet might be the key to getting her back on track

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Pet Guardian

Unhappy

she refuses all human food:sad: tried the kibble soaked in cat milk. refused :sad:
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

There really should be something you can give her. I'm trying to think of a food that's semi-moist but treats are all I can think of. I know she can't live on that though.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:41 AM

You will have to order it online, because it's a canada-only product at the moment, but give Oven Baked Tradition a try.

It's not the greatest (high carb content, low meat content) BUT because it's oven baked the consistency of it is unlike any other kibble. You can literally crush it to dust between your fingers with little effort.

It's also got a great acceptance rate overall.

Here's the website:

http://www.ovenbakedtradition.com/ch...et.php?lang=en

I would use the kitten.

Lexus - Rottweiler/Cattle Dog - Raw fed, lover of all things humorous
Fable - Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd - Grain Free - hyper, hyperintelligent, apple of our eye

And of course, the cats Jasper and Pey'j, and the current flock Kenya, Kirby, Sunny, Simone and Duffy.

Last but not least, the endless stream of incoming and outgoing rescue pups!
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
Simba loves the Lean Treats made by butler. i need to find a food of that consistancy
I can't remember if you have tried this before or not. If Simba loves these treats or her dry food can you use a food processor and grind it into small pieces for her? I have a Magic Bullet that works great and really fast to pulverize food. It works even better than a processor. Maybe give it a shot?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know what the texture of this is, but it might be worth a shot.

http://www.wysong.net/products/uncan...g-cat-food.php

Here's a phone number: 1-800-748-0188
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old February 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysweet View Post
You will have to order it online, because it's a canada-only product at the moment, but give Oven Baked Tradition a try.

It's not the greatest (high carb content, low meat content) BUT because it's oven baked the consistency of it is unlike any other kibble. You can literally crush it to dust between your fingers with little effort.

It's also got a great acceptance rate overall.

Here's the website:

http://www.ovenbakedtradition.com/ch...et.php?lang=en

I would use the kitten.
thank you. i will try it b/c i will try anything! BUT I DON'T SEE HOW TO ORDER IT!

Last edited by meow; February 16th, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old February 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I can't remember if you have tried this before or not. If Simba loves these treats or her dry food can you use a food processor and grind it into small pieces for her? I have a Magic Bullet that works great and really fast to pulverize food. It works even better than a processor. Maybe give it a shot?
thanks but yup already tried it. no go. :sad:
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
I don't know what the texture of this is, but it might be worth a shot.

http://www.wysong.net/products/uncan...g-cat-food.php

Here's a phone number: 1-800-748-0188
they are closed but i will call tomorrow. thanks!
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Pet Guardian

A Lil Interest

Simba had some whiska's cat milk yesterday and today. Today I offered her Halo Stew (cat food) and she lapped it up. She couldn't eat the chunks of meat but she loved the rest. She had about 1 TBSP so it wasn't a meal but it is an interest and that is good!

I think she is a vegitarian...seriously. she always hated meat and liked other stuff. she is refusing her normal dry cat food now.
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

My gang don't like Halo, but it is a pretty cool product. Maybe you can take and purree the meat and mix it in with the rest. While she laps up the rest she will be having the meat.

When you call Wysong, ask about Call of the Wild. I'm going to order it for my cats. It's a vitamin and mineral powder. Here are the ingredients:

Chicken and Beef, Chicken and Beef Liver, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Kelp, Plums, Dried Seaweed Meal, Milk Calcium, Ground Bone, Coral Calcium, Barley Grass Powder, Wheat Grass Powder, Organic Blueberries, Carrots, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Ground Sesame Seeds, DL- Methionine, L-Carnitine, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Taurine, L-Arginine, Phytase, Garlic, Artichoke, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ribofl avin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Milk Protein Extracts

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (Min)
18.0 %
Crude Fat (Min)
13.0 %
Crude Fiber (Max)
2.0 %
Moisture (Max)
12.0 %
Taurine (Min)
3.6 %

If you find something she will eat maybe this could be a good addition to it to make sure she gets all the nutrients she needs.

Old February 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
My gang don't like Halo, but it is a pretty cool product. Maybe you can take and purree the meat and mix it in with the rest. While she laps up the rest she will be having the meat.

When you call Wysong, ask about Call of the Wild. I'm going to order it for my cats. It's a vitamin and mineral powder. Here are the ingredients:

Chicken and Beef, Chicken and Beef Liver, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Kelp, Plums, Dried Seaweed Meal, Milk Calcium, Ground Bone, Coral Calcium, Barley Grass Powder, Wheat Grass Powder, Organic Blueberries, Carrots, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Ground Sesame Seeds, DL- Methionine, L-Carnitine, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Taurine, L-Arginine, Phytase, Garlic, Artichoke, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ribofl avin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Milk Protein Extracts

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (Min)
18.0 %
Crude Fat (Min)
13.0 %
Crude Fiber (Max)
2.0 %
Moisture (Max)
12.0 %
Taurine (Min)
3.6 %

If you find something she will eat maybe this could be a good addition to it to make sure she gets all the nutrients she needs.
thanks for the idea
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope they can help you. This stuff is for raw and home cooked diets. As you can see, it has what they would normally have if they killed their own food. for someone like me, who would have no clue how to add this stuff to their diet and what to give them that has it all, then this is a huge help.

Old February 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
I hope they can help you. This stuff is for raw and home cooked diets. As you can see, it has what they would normally have if they killed their own food. for someone like me, who would have no clue how to add this stuff to their diet and what to give them that has it all, then this is a huge help.
i tried frozen raw yeatwerday. she hated it. i swear she is a vegetarian
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:07 AM

Did you offer it to her frozen or thawed? Should be thawed but not heated/cooked.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Did you offer it to her frozen or thawed? Should be thawed but not heated/cooked.
thawed room temperature
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

What if you pureed the meat and mashed it with maybe some butternut squash or pumpkin? Would she eat pumpkin?

Old October 24th, 2011, 06:39 PM

have you tried Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Indoor Mature 27, claims to be super soft kibble. I have a 13 yr old cat and I have been having to give him calorie booster from GNC, but he hates it, I have to put it on his paw and then he will lick if off just to get it off his paw. But I think it helps, they also have chewable kitty vitamins that he loves.
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:36 AM

Potential remedy

I know this is an old thread. However, I thik i finally found a partial solution to the problem of moist food for older cats. I too have a cat that needs moist food. He was in a car accident 7 years ago and is blind, had a broken jaw, and has since lost all his teeth.

I have tried many things over the years as he hates raw meats. He really loves the dry kibble I have for my other cats and desperately tries to eat it. Unfortunately it is too hard for his gums. The moist kibble I do find are treats that are expensive and horribly bad for the cat to eat as a meal every day.

I have been feeding him canned food and I stiffen it up by placing it in the refrigerator to keep it firm. Unfortunately it gets very messy when he eats. The last food I was giving him was the Hills A/D because it seemed as if he could lick it up, but it is still messy.

I have tried for years to moisten a dry food for him but that always turns out bad. The dry food just falls apart and swells from the liquid, or it gets hard as a rock.

My new solution that appears to be working is to grind up some dry food in a food processor into a rough powder and sprinkle it onto the wet food to give it a more firm consistency. It soaks up just enough of the moisture in the canned food to make it a little stiff but not hard, something he can chew on and that is not as messy. He also loves the smell.

So if any of you are struggling with some of the same issues try the reverse of what you would normally think of. Don't try to moisten the dry kibble, firm up the wet cat food with the dry. It works for me.

Good Luck.
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:42 PM
You can call me DOG!

Good advice addision!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)