Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 19th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Willing cat servant

How to: Eye drops?

You'd think this is pretty obvious but...
Now I have another problem... Ragnar doesn't let me put the drops in. He goes mega bonkers. Struggles like a mad horse. It's worse than trying to give a pill to a cat. I've tried treats, tricks, brute force lol
What can I do?

P.S. It doesn't burn
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

what about if you try while dooger is sleeping?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Some dogs are regular stinkers when it comes to eye drops. Best if you can work with a helper. Generally, what we do is have hubby sit in a chair with the chosen victim's () head in his lap. He strokes the head till the dog calms a bit, then I swoop in with the dropper and try to dose the eye, then immediately give a tasty treat. Sometimes, distracting the dog with a treat while petting its head helps a bit, at least giving me enough time to swoop in successfully.

But it takes a lot of repetition and patience to get them 'dropper friendly'. Best to practice a few times a day with something cheap and non-prescription like saline than with a prescription med. Also, have your helper experiment with different ways to hold the head. hubby finally settled on cupping the head with one hand under the chin, then holding the eye open with the stroking hand just as I'm making my move. Once you get a sense for the timing, it gets a little easier.

Remember, repetition, patience and tasty treats! You can do this!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Willing cat servant

Hazel! That sounds plausible. The sleeping approach might startle him and bite my nose off But your technique could work. Pet and treat with a helper. He won't like it but he'll eventually associate it with good things. I'm going to give that strategy a try for sure.
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah I read you should never bother a sleeping dogs more kids get bitten this way .
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:49 PM
Willing cat servant

First attempt: Failed miserably
We'll keep trying
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9_Uu3nGP7s

This show how to put eye drops in a dog eyes .
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's a good video, Barkingdog, though it usually doesn't go quite that smoothly for us!

Remember to practice in between actual dosings, Koteburo--without the drops. Head in your lap, stroke, hold the eye open and move a hand up to stroke the head, then treat. Eventually, knowing the treat is coming, he should start cooperating a little better. After 12 yrs, ours are starting to catch on (Seriously, it only took a few weeks.) And when he does start doing better, make sure to do fairly frequent (at least once a month) practice sessions. (About the time you forget to keep up with the indoctrination, he's sure to need drops again! Some corollary to Murphy's Law, I think... )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah and that looked like a very well trained dog . I have do get on the floor and hold my dog head still to put on eye ointment . I was a real battle . OMG a cat is another whole story !
Old January 22nd, 2016, 02:00 PM

This problem sounds familiar to me, but with cats. Back a few years ago, I was being treated by an Ophthamologist for an eye problem and due to the fact I was having trouble treating my cats, I ran a question by him regarding Colloidal Silver and how to administer drops. That's when I found out that he had retriever dogs that he worked in the bush and fields on his time off. When it became time to treat the dogs for eye issues from running through the grass and bushes, he would take the dog's head and tip it up and close the eye and turn the head so the nose and the eye formed sort of a well, and he'd put the 2 or 3 drops on the lid at the corner of the eye by the nose. He'd then put the dropper down and then take both hands and gently pull the eyelids back so the drops would run across the eyeball, and hold it for a few seconds or so in order for the drops to do their work.
I was surprised to learn as well, that he was using Colloidal Silver on his animals. He went over a list of things with animals that Colloidal Silver was good for. One thing he strongly emphasized with the use of any product for eyes or ears for any animal, was that they be at body temperature so that the application would not be too much of a shock to the animal - or even humans for that matter. He said that it was a really good anti-bacterial agent and it's gentle as well.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:53 PM
Willing cat servant

I found sort of a way. I wash my hands, take a clean cotton ball, soak it in colloidal silver, hold a treat in between my lips while touching the dog's head and squeezing thecotton ball in his eyes, making sure the liquid goes in. Proceed to give the treat afterwards.
For some reason he feels threatened by the dropper and by the position of my body while trying to use it. so this has been working for 2 days now.

Oh and btw I'm good at putting eye drops on cats almost no cat can resist my smooth moves haha
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

That sound very risky to me , putting a treat in your mouth after reading how your dog can turn on you at any moment .
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
That sound very risky to me , putting a treat in your mouth after reading how your dog can turn on you at any moment .
Yes I thought about it today. I put it there to have my hands free but perhaps not the best idea considering his sudden unpredictability.