Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Czarina is missing.

This is my worst nightmare! I spoke with Miguel this morning and he said that she had been okay with him all weekend. But this morning when she seemed to notice he was leaving for work, she started to seem nervous and wouldn't let him out of her sight.

When he opened the door to get something out of his car she bolted out! She ran across his lawn and hid under his car. He said he walked to her slowly and tried calling to her but she wouldn't budge. He tried luring her with food but she stayed under the car. Then he just decided to try and reach for her and she ran across the street.

He looked for her for almost an hour and finally had to come to work. He's got his wife looking for her now. When he took her on Friday I'd given him a collar with a tag you can write on, and a flashing light for night time.

This is what I didn't want to happen. She was obviously afraid he was going to leave her in some strange place.

I never should have let him take her. She's happy where she was. Yes, it's outside, but for her that's where she wants to be. I've been trying to force her to be an indoor cat, and in doing so I'm so afraid I've done something that I will regret for the rest of my life. Miguel told me that he's going to look for her until he finds her and he's going to just bring her back to the complex.

We've traumatized her enough and tried to change her. We're being selfish in wanting to believe she would be happy inside. She's live in the complex outdoors for over 3 years, and to have taken her to the vet and have had them pronounce her with such good health I think says something about her and forces out there protecting her.

I want her back!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sorry, ancientgirl. But Miguel will get her back.

Being in a strange neighborhood, would she be likely to stay near Miguel's house? Maybe if he put out food for her?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

for her safe return.
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm sorry, ancientgirl. But Miguel will get her back.

Being in a strange neighborhood, would she be likely to stay near Miguel's house? Maybe if he put out food for her?
I hope so. When I left him I asked him to please call me to update me no matter what. Like I said, his wife is looking for her now, and she does have a tag with their number on it. Miguel leaves at 3:00 pm so he said as soon as he gets home he'll start looking for her around the neighborhood area.

I wish we'd just left her alone. Miguel said that if he's able to find her and brings her back, they'll just take the food into the office when they leave and not leave any outside. That way the old lady doesn't have a reason to complain, and Czarina usually eats during the day anyway, so leaving food out would be a waste. Either way, she will always have food in the morning waiting for her.

I'm just so afraid for her. She's never known the outside world.:sad:
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old February 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I wouldn't panic yet, she probably hasn't gone far, she does have outside smarts. Miguel is probably better off looking for her at night. How far does he live from your complex? She may be trying to find her way back there. Cats are very good at that so keep an eye open for her at your place too.

I know how fast cats can bolt when they want to, has happened to me a few times. My neighbours have that problem with their siamese, he is fast. They have a ritual now that no opening the door, especially if it is company, unless their cat is locked up.

You can't feel guilty about what has happened. You know that she is far safer inside a loving home and that is where you made sure she is. She'll be found and back inside safe and sound soon.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 4th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Miguel lives about 20 miles from the complex.

I hope she's not trying to make her way back, because I just feel like it's too dangerous for her. She's used to the small area where there is little car action.

I just hope he finds her. He was very nervous this morning and felt bad she'd gotten away from him.

Old February 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I don't blame you for being worried. I hope he finds her soon.

clm
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

I'm so sorry. Some cats are just not meant to be inside the house. maybe she'll find her way back to him. Cats always have a way of being ok.
keep your hopes up.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I just hope she's found a safe spot to be at until he can find her.

I really don't believe she's happy inside. When I had her with me I felt incredibly guilty because I'd see her looking out the window and felt there was such a sadness in her.

I see the others looking out the window and I don't feel that from them. Heck, the few times they've gotten near the door and I've had the gate open they get close to the opening and high tail it inside when they hear a noise. I've had Vlad and Maks in my arms on a few occasions when I've answered the door and they've about scratched the skin off of my chest to get over my shoulder and inside.

Old February 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
~Cat Servent~

My prayers are with Czarina... I hope she finds her way back.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
My prayers are with Czarina... I hope she finds her way back.
Thank you. I talked to Miguel earlier. His wife looked this morning and didn't find her, and she hasn't come home. He told me he'd wait until nightfall and look for her. She might feel more comfortable at night and if she's hiding perhaps at night she'll decide to come out.

Old February 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG poor Czarina! I hope she finds her way home!
Unfortunately cats do try to find their way back "home" when they are moved. they can travel for miles. I would start searching from Miguel's to the complex, I think she will be somewhere between there.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

That's what I've been afraid of from the beginning, and so has Miguel.

We should have just left her here. :sad:

Old February 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You said she seemed so sad when she looked out the window, but I don't think cats can reason on that level. Cats are animals of habit and don't like change, even if the change is for the better. She doesn't know how good life is inside and hasn't been given that much of a chance. Yes she has been lucky enough to live in a warm climate where she has been relatively safe, and yes she has been fed regularly, but still not as safe as in a house, so don't feel bad about having Miguel take her home, you were doing what was in her best interest, even if she doesn't know it right now. Maybe this will be the little bit of scare she needs to re-think her love for the outside.

We are all praying that she will be found soon and be back safe and sound.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. At this point, I just want to know she's safe.

Old February 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I know you do, I know how you feel. She has ID on her, if she doesn't come home, somebody will call.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank goodness he put that on her and put his number on it too! That's the one thing keeping me sane.

Old February 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Thank goodness he put that on her and put his number on it too! That's the one thing keeping me sane.
Yes, that was good thinking wasn't it.

She'll be found.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Any news?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I spoke to Miguel earlier when I got home. He'd searched for her when he got home earlier and had no luck. He said he would wait until later tonight and try again, and see if maybe she'd come out at night. The collar she has, has a little reflective tag, and it also flashes every so often, so he and his wife are going to walk around the neighborhood and have another look.

I know she must be terribly afraid right now. She's in a strange place with no other kitty friends and nobody to protect her.

Miguel told me that "when" he finds her he's going to bring her back. Here she is comfortable and she knows her way around the complex. She doesn't go beyond the gate. Even when Miguel has parked his car outside the gate, she waits for him inside, even though she can easily go out. She knows the other cats in the complex and they all play together. Those cats are also taken care of by the others around here.

I know I'm not going to sleep well tonight worrying about her.

Old February 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

She may be confused about her surroundings right now and stay close to Miguels...I would put something outside of his home just in case....Maybe her litter box or a box with a blanket she may have used?

She is most likely on her way back but it may take some time since he is 20 miles away.

Keeping our paws crossed here for her!
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

He's supposed to call me after his walk. I'll tell him to put her little pyramid outside.

She's got a long way to come, poor thing. I'm hoping Miguel wakes up tomorrow and finds her in her little pyramid sleeping.

Old February 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

How the heck did she get out? If he is going to keep her he is going to have to keep her in a closed room when he leaves or at least figure out how to not let her get out the door...I know its hard to beleive but she can do fine indoors but she needs the time.....and sometimes that is just too hard....Its like she needs to forget about that outside space..

I hope he finds her too in her little bed...maybe he should take something with him when he checks it because he has to be able to trap her somehow.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
-

I'm so sorry to hear about Czarina. :sad: But, since she has outdoor smarts, I think she will be okay. I hope you and Miguel find her soon.
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
How the heck did she get out? If he is going to keep her he is going to have to keep her in a closed room when he leaves or at least figure out how to not let her get out the door...I know its hard to beleive but she can do fine indoors but she needs the time.....and sometimes that is just too hard....Its like she needs to forget about that outside space..

I hope he finds her too in her little bed...maybe he should take something with him when he checks it because he has to be able to trap her somehow.

Cindy
I can't blame him too much. He feels bad enough about it. He thought she was in another room when he opened the door.

Old February 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear... cats are very resourceful, though. I'd keep an eye out for her to reappear where you live. I bet she heads there. Please don't blame yourself or anyone. well, the lady at the complex complaining about the cat food laying out (while she is standing there with her dog off leash) can be blamed. Things were escalating there and Czarina wasn't safe. Miguel and his wife can't be faulted, and should be thanked for trying to help. They sound like cat lovers and are likely very sad about losing her. to be found safe!
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:34 PM

hope she is found and all right... i was thinking about the crazy lady and the rats too....
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:14 AM

Czarina is found quickly

The pyramid bed outside the door she went out is a great idea

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin7 View Post
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear... cats are very resourceful, though. I'd keep an eye out for her to reappear where you live.
How long would it take a cat to travel 20 miles?
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM

I don't know... a few days to a week (just guessing). I've heard of cats traveling lots further than that to get home, including across deserts. Don't give up hope yet! I'd be checking local shelters too, just in case she turns up there.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963