Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:35 PM

A sad day :(

I never posted here much, but have followed the site. and sadly, today we lost our Lucy. She was a red pure bred doberman pincher, 8 yrs old, and with more personality than a lot of people I know. One of the reason I wanted to post this was to warn others. We lost Lucy to bloat and (i believe) twisted stomach. I'm still shocked at how fast it happened, and how quickly we lost her. at 6 PM, as we do every day, we fed her and our other dog their usual food and quantity of it. later in the evening she was acting like she was a little sick, but showed no signs that she would be dead in less than 7 hours. When I got up for work at 4 am and saw her I knew something was seriously wrong. her stomach had bloated up to the point where she could barely walk. we of course called the nearest emergency clinic to bring her in but unfortunately we lost her before we could even get her in the car. It was a life that ended far sooner than it should have, and in one fail swoop I lost my dog best friend, and most loyal companion all at once.

In closing, I've done a bit of reading on this and have found it's far more common then I ever knew. Be aware of it, the signs, symptoms and emergency treatment needed to save your dog. when it happens, you can literally be looking at a window of only a few hours to save your dog, and window that closed for me before I could do anything.

Most of what is believed to cause or prevent this condition is anecdotal and there is very little hard fact. but because it's digestive related, and probably tied to eating, it most often strikes in the middle of the night, as it did to me.

don't let this happen to you.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment....1&d=1354754051

I'll miss you girl
Attached Images

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Kitty pimp

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry to hear of lost of your dog. I had a Standard Poodle and knew dogs with barrel chest could get bloat and for this reason I fed my dog small meals .
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Im so sorry to hear for your loss.
R.I.P Lucy
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:16 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Lucy was absolutely beautiful.

Owning 2 Danes, I know all too well the horrors of bloat. It's one of my biggest fears. I wish we knew more about the root cause of it
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Lucy. They are the light of our lives and it's never easy. She will wait for you at the bridge knowing you loved her always.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. Lucy was absolutely beautiful.

Owning 2 Danes, I know all too well the horrors of bloat. It's one of my biggest fears. I wish we knew more about the root cause of it
When I got my hearing dog ,a Standard Poodle I was told this breed get bloat and to be sure to give him small meals.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-pet-dogs.aspx
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss of the lovely Lucy, stevenf. My heart aches for you.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
When I got my hearing dog ,a Standard Poodle I was told this breed get bloat and to be sure to give him small meals.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-pet-dogs.aspx
The truth of the matter, no one knows for sure what causes bloat - there is lots of speculation - stress, food, meal sizes, exercising after meals, water intake, raised feeders, and even genetics. All we can do is educate ourselves and do what we think is best by our dogs.
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Lucy.
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Please accept my deepest condolences

sweet Lucy
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so saddened by your loss of your beautiful Lucy. Keep her memories close thay will help you get through this sad time. Goodbye sweet Lucy.
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I am so sorry for your loss. I know only too well how fast it happens, We lost our precious Greta to this. As soon as we knew what was happening we rushed her to emergency but just like you it was too late.

My heart goes out to you.

Sweet Lucy

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:18 PM

thank you all for the kind words, it has helped. everybody's still in shock a little, but it's gotten better. and thank you Loki Love for pointing out that so little is know of this condition, or stomach twisting. not to repeat myself, but a lot of why I wanted to post the bad news here was to warn others. for anybody who doesn't know much about it, I implore you to read up on it. and for those that do, don't hesitate at the first sign it may be happening. by my estimation, based on her condition when I found her about 8 hours after it probably happened, I doubt I had more than a 4 hour window to do something. as bad as she was, even if I had got her to the emergency vet (which isn't actually that far away) I doubt they could have safely sedated and operated on her. and part of me wonders if it wasn't for the best. she was a massive doberman, a breed that typically lives 10-11 years. due to her size, she was probably looking at less than that. not sure that surgery involving permanently attaching her stomach to her ribs would have been easy on her, or even in her best interest. it may have been keeping her alive for our benefit rather than hers. not to get the wrong idea, if given the option I would have done it in a heartbeat. just not totally sure it would have been in her best interest.

but there is some good new. I contacted the breeder we bought Lucy from. He felt pretty bad about it and is going to move us up a few notches on his waiting list and give us a pup from the next litter he breeds, probably in Jan. and the best part is, he actually will be using a cousin of Lucy's with one of his best males. I couldn't believe it when he said he would do it. so now we get a few months to remember Lucy and prepare for the next one.

but one more time, thank you all............you made a very tough time a little bit easier. and I just have to throw this last picture out there, was always one of my favorites

Last edited by stevenf; December 11th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

She sure is one happy looking girl in that pic.such a beauty.
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor

What a beautiful girl Lucy was! Happy times for you and your family getting another pup.
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Aww what a sweetie she was.
Thanks for posting this and sharing your story to warn others.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter