Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm having a huge dilema, moral and ethical.

Some of you know I became a vegetarian a little over a year ago. It's been hard. Not so much because I found it hard to cut meat out, but I've felt on and off not in the best of health.

I often feel sick and tired, but today I'm just feeling all kinds of out of sorts. At one point I walked to the bathroom, and for the life of me, I literally could not remember anything from when I walked out of my office into the hallway, to when I stepped into the bathroom. The entire walk in the hallway was like I blacked out.

I'm dizzy, nauseous, and unbelievably tired. I feel like my body is missing something. I've started taking a daily vitamin, hoping to at least cover the bases when it comes to what my body might not be getting from food. Mainly the B-12 and iron. In my younger days I always had issues with iron and not getting enough of it. I haven't had any major blood work in over a year and it's probably time.

I thought, maybe on my way home I'd just go buy some broccoli and some Seitan (fake meat), and make myself some brown rice to go along with it. Maybe the broccoli will give me the boost I need. I've been so good, but today is the first time, since I cut meat out, that I feel like I really need a steak.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Molly's mama

AG, I am a semi-vegetarian. Haven't eaten any red meat (beef, pork, veal, etc) for 13 years now. I have to regularly get B12 injections as well as take a daily B12 supplement. Like you, I was feeling tired and dizzy, and the doctor thought it was due to my B12 deficiency. I would definitely go to the dr and get bloodwork done ASAP.
If you eat right, it can be done. Do you miss the taste of red meat? I gave it up for ethical reasons too, but also because I just didn't enjoy the taste of it. If you are craving it, maybe you can find some organic or free-range beef? Or buy wild game from somewhere? My husband hunts for a lot of his meat, and I think that is some of the healthiest stuff you can eat. Too bad I can't stand the taste of it!
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you following up with a nutritionist? If not, then please do so. Also, I would be seeing a doctor for full blood work just to make sure that your sugar level is ok..and just for everything in general.

I always say if you are craving something - have it - in moderation of course but I for one would not judge you based on this choice.
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
AG, I am a semi-vegetarian. Haven't eaten any red meat (beef, pork, veal, etc) for 13 years now. I have to regularly get B12 injections as well as take a daily B12 supplement. Like you, I was feeling tired and dizzy, and the doctor thought it was due to my B12 deficiency. I would definitely go to the dr and get bloodwork done ASAP.
If you eat right, it can be done. Do you miss the taste of red meat? I gave it up for ethical reasons too, but also because I just didn't enjoy the taste of it. If you are craving it, maybe you can find some organic or free-range beef? Or buy wild game from somewhere? My husband hunts for a lot of his meat, and I think that is some of the healthiest stuff you can eat. Too bad I can't stand the taste of it!
I do love the taste of it, but haven't missed it. I think the guilt of eating any meat overrides my taste buts. One of the reasons I buy Seitan, is because it's the closest thing that tastes like beef, that isn't. But I'm stupid, because I don't eat enough vegetables, which I should, seeing as I'm cutting a huge part of the protein intake.

You may be correct in that I have a B12 deficiency. It would not surprise me. I was taking some tables for a while, and wasn't feeling like this. When I ran out, I just kept forgetting to buy more.

When you said semi-vegetarian, do you eat chicken and fish?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old August 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Are you following up with a nutritionist? If not, then please do so. Also, I would be seeing a doctor for full blood work just to make sure that your sugar level is ok..and just for everything in general.

I always say if you are craving something - have it - in moderation of course but I for one would not judge you based on this choice.
I'm not seeing a nutritionist, no. But I'm going to see if my new health plan offers any discounts or anything so I can see someone. I know I'm not doing this right, and my body is starting to revolt.

Old August 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post

When you said semi-vegetarian, do you eat chicken and fish?
Yes AG, I do eat chicken, turkey, and fish. I think I could give up chicken if I were more informed about vegetarian nutrition, but for now it's my main source of protein. I also eat a lot of veggies, and some beans- I love chickpeas!
As for fish, I can't imagine life without pan-fried Walleye, or fresh sushi!

Your B12 levels may be too low to recover using just tablets alone, you may have to get an injection from your doctor. I once read in a magazine that Madonna gets regular B12 injections to keep her energy going!!!
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

If your body is craving red meat then I say go get it.
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Mollywog, makes sense. I probably should not have cut all of those proteins the way I did without knowing more. I may consider adding fish to my diet in small amounts.

BM, right now, I may be heading in that direction. I'll have to see how I feel on the drive home. I know I'll be beating myself up over it, but I feel physically horrible right now.

Old August 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

You absolutely NEED to see a good nutritionist to give you some advice on a balanced diet. It's kind of hard to do vegetarian diets right unless you grew up with them because it's much easier to absorb a lot of vitamin and minerals from meat and we are raised and educated about diets that contain meat. This is why there's the stereotype of vegans and vegetarians that are all skinny and sickly looking, because a lot of people don't do vegetarianism in a healthy manner. If you look at people from India that grew up strict vegetarians they generally don't fit this stereotype because they've been raised to do it right.
Have you cut out ALL animal products? I would strongly suggest at least eating eggs and some dairy (like yogurt, cheese, etc.). Just these two items in small portions provide a lot of vitamins and minerals that you'd have trouble getting from plant based products unless consumed in large amounts. If you're worried about the animals that produce these items being mistreated you could try to find them from local farmers. Eggs especially are usually easy to find locally. They cost a bit more locally but you shouldn't need to eat very much of them.

Please don't try to use vitamin supplements to fill in for what you should be getting from your food. The body doesn't readily absorb vitamins and minerals in pill form. There is also some evidence to show that vitamin supplements can actually have negative effects on the body and it's much better to get your vitamins from food items.

The biggest thing with being a vegetarian is to eat VARIETY. It sounds to me like you're sticking to eating the same things over and over again, it's imperative that you do NOT do this. A lot of new vegetarians rely on soy products and that is not good. Soy products are simply fortified with a few things (such as calcium) and really aren't a good all around nutritious meal; they're mainly a protein source. Eating large amounts of soy can also have negative health effects in women (please read up on this). You need to add in a lot of various vegetables, legumes (you should be getting a lot of your protein and potassium from legumes!), nuts, whole grains.

If you need some tips on easy meals I'd be glad to help. I'm not a vegetarian (I was at one time...not for ethical reasons I just got sick of meat) but I know a fair bit about nutrition and I often cook without any meat whatsoever. If you like indian food that's one thing to look at because they have a ton of non-meat based recipes that are very flavorful and not boring. Actually asian food in general is a pretty good basis for a vegetarian diet.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 26th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I am from Indian decent and we eat alot of veggie meals. One of the # 1 food we eat is Chic Peas. They are packed with nutrients and a good source of protein. Do you eat these?

Here is something quick and easy:

Chic Peas mixed with diced tomatoes and cucumber. Finely chopped garlic, olive oil and lemon juice, tiny bit of salt and pepper and fresh corriander to taste. Also, you can add feta cheese. It's quick, easy and yummy.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
You absolutely NEED to see a good nutritionist to give you some advice on a balanced diet.

I'm going to look into this.

Have you cut out ALL animal products? I would strongly suggest at least eating eggs and some dairy (like yogurt, cheese, etc.).

Not totally. I do buy cage free eggs, and have them a couple of times a week. I do each some regular cheese, but I do only buy soy milk. I used to drink skim milk and am thinking I may go back to it, if I can find maybe some at Wild Oats that is either organic or cruelty free. I'll have to look into that. I also do eat regular yogurt.

Please don't try to use vitamin supplements to fill in for what you should be getting from your food. The body doesn't readily absorb vitamins and minerals in pill form. There is also some evidence to show that vitamin supplements can actually have negative effects on the body and it's much better to get your vitamins from food items.

The biggest thing with being a vegetarian is to eat VARIETY. It sounds to me like you're sticking to eating the same things over and over again, it's imperative that you do NOT do this. A lot of new vegetarians rely on soy products and that is not good. Soy products are simply fortified with a few things (such as calcium) and really aren't a good all around nutritious meal; they're mainly a protein source. Eating large amounts of soy can also have negative health effects in women (please read up on this). You need to add in a lot of various vegetables, legumes (you should be getting a lot of your protein and potassium from legumes!), nuts, whole grains.

If you need some tips on easy meals I'd be glad to help. I'm not a vegetarian (I was at one time...not for ethical reasons I just got sick of meat) but I know a fair bit about nutrition and I often cook without any meat whatsoever. If you like indian food that's one thing to look at because they have a ton of non-meat based recipes that are very flavorful and not boring. Actually asian food in general is a pretty good basis for a vegetarian diet.
I've been trying to eat more beans, but I've not been eating enough, nor do I get enough grains. And as for more veggies, I do need to add more to my diet.

For a long time I was just taking the easy way out, lots of pasta, rice and bread. I realized, that's not going to cut it.

Right now, I just need to get myself feeling better until I can get to the doctor and get some blood work.

Old August 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I am from Indian decent and we eat alot of veggie meals. One of the # 1 food we eat is Chic Peas. They are packed with nutrients and a good source of protein. Do you eat these?

Chic Peas mixed with diced tomatoes and cucumber. Finely chopped garlic, olive oil and lemon juice, tiny bit of salt and pepper and fresh corriander to taste. Also, you can add feta cheese. It's quick, easy and yummy.
That sounds yummy. I'd have to add onion though, I love onions.

Oh I also meant to add you can get a ton of vitamins and stuff from fruit and vegetable juice.

If you want a quick boost and you're feeling down it may help to buy a juice that's a mix of several different veggies and/or fruits. Don't worry about the calories or anything for now, if you're feeling dizzy and stuff there's actually a good chance you are not consuming enough calories.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Chick peas are probably my favorite bean. They are beans right?

That sounds really good. And I can make enough to bring to work for several days and eat it right out of the fridge.

Old August 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
That sounds yummy. I'd have to add onion though, I love onions.

Oh I also meant to add you can get a ton of vitamins and stuff from fruit and vegetable juice.

If you want a quick boost and you're feeling down it may help to buy a juice that's a mix of several different veggies and/or fruits. Don't worry about the calories or anything for now, if you're feeling dizzy and stuff there's actually a good chance you are not consuming enough calories.
See, I hadn't thought about buying veggie juice. I love V-8, and should buy some to keep here at work.

This is my problem. I don't talk to enough people about vegetarian diet. No one around me is a vegetarian, so I've gone it alone pretty much, other than when I've posted here or other places online.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll be making the chick peas and buying some vegetable juice. At the very least, that should give me a much needed boost.

Old August 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Chick peas are probably my favorite bean. They are beans right?

That sounds really good. And I can make enough to bring to work for several days and eat it right out of the fridge.
They're also called garbanzo beans, yes they're a bean.

So if you see garbanzo beans at the store they're chick peas, same thing.

Great northern beans are my favorite for bean soups. They come out really mild. Cook 'em with veggie broth and whatever seasonings you want, add in some veggies, and eat it with corn bread or something, they're really good.
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

A-G,you HAVE TO take care of yourself,you have 5 little cute dependants.
If you feel like a steak,have one,but not if you will feel bad about it after.
Eating one steak,will not work miracles,but maybe you'll lose your cravings.
Also see a doctor,hopefully you have coverage
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Don't forget NUTS! My father stopped eating meat and he substiuted with all varieties of nuts. He said they are his meat replacement. And with a variety of nuts, they go with lots of veggies, walnuts in a salad, cashews too. Sunflower seeds...
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

awww AG I'm thinking along Benmax's lines where if ure really craving steak now, maybe your body just needs it.

Has the tiredness etc started after you started working out? I think, until you gt your nutrition in check, you may want to ease up. I think last I read you were going 6 days a week?

I remember you saying you used to love to go to bookstores an flip through the books with a coffee. I'm not sure if youre not eating a varity of things (or eating the same thing over and over), is maybe because you don't know a lot of veggie recipes? I know you can find things online, but sometimes its easier when you have a book or something. Perhaps you can flip through some books at the bookstore or take some veggie cooking books (maybe indian) on loan from the library.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Yes to nuts, chick peas and don't forget alfalfa/clover/sunflower/pea sprouts and bean sprouts! Specially if you're cutting corners on your veggies. Bean sprouts and other sprouts are packed with goodies. But nuts and seeds are definitely a great addition to any vegetarian diet. Have some raw trail mix with you, to dip into when you're feeling peckish. Often at about 4.30ish energy starts to dip and nuts and seeds are a great pick-me-up. Often supermarkets sell bean and sprout mixes that you can add to salads. Yummy and it gives a bit of oomph without having too much extra work - and it's packed with proteins and minerals, vitamins and trace elements.

Use as much spinach, arugula, broccoli, asparagus and artichoke as you can eat. They're very alkaline and will help offset the mostly acidic grains and pastas. This helps the body's pH stay on track if you've been relying on carbs lately. A diet that is too high in carbs will slow down the absorption of proteins, since carbs and proteins need a different pH to digest. A way to quickly re-balance the body after a prolongued carb-based diet is to add the juice of half a lemon to a large 12oz glass of water twice a day, or make a jug of water with the juice of 2 lemons, and drink that water. The lemons will help balance your blood pH again so that you're better able to digest the proteins that you are taking.

Another recipe that might alleviate cravings (and which is high in alkaline foods) is a guacamole made with avocado (duh), finely diced tomato, chopped basil, cilantro and mint, some walnut oil, a bit of lime juice, kelp, sea salt, cayenne pepper and garlic- and add in lots of sesame seeds. You can use it on a sandwich with cheese, as a dip for sesame/corn chips, etc.

Fresh veggie juices are also a good way to get your veggies in. We love beet/carrot/celery juice, or carrot/apple/ginger. We invested in a decent juicer, and get bulk carrots and apples to use for juicing.

Try for organic tomato juices if you're liking V8 - they have less monosodium glutamates (MSG) in them than V8 and other commercial brands. MSG is a taste enhancer in many vegetarian alternatives to meat and can actually increase dizziness and acification of the body. Here's a link to some more info about MSG and its alternate names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

Take good care of yourself! And if you do find yourself craving meat, you may want to avoid getting red meat after a 'long absence' since red is harder to digest. Fish and poultry are easier on our bodies, specially after an absence of meat. See if you have organic meat somewhere in your area. We have organic chicken, turkey and ostrich meat in our area, fresh from the farm, humanely slaughtered. You could ask regular local organic farms whether they know of anyone who also sells organically raised poultry.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Onster. Sometimes it can be overwhelming when we're cutting certain things out of our diet for whatever reason. My brother has been a vegetarian for seven years now, (he worked in a vet clinic that delt with a lot of farm animals - nuff said), and that was his initial problem.

He eventually bought a few vegetarian cookbooks, and would scan through each page. Instead of going to the grocery store every few weeks to buy something, he'd go every Sunday after meal planning the entire week. That way he knew what he was going to have every day, every meal, and could be assured he had all the ingredients for it before he started.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=MyBirdIsEvil;819058]That sounds yummy. I'd have to add onion though, I love onions.

QUOTE]

Oh my of course add the red onion thinly sliced!

Another quick boost:

1/4 cup of soya milk
1/2 cup of apple juice
handful of fresh blue berries and black berries

Blend them up and voila - a nice wholesome energy drink.
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Garden nut

One word - Kale.

It's one of the most nutritious vegetables out there. I read a quote in one of my gardening books, and basically it was a doctor from a couple hundred years ago, telling another doctor that if he saw kale growing in a family garden, then his services would not be needed there.

If you're a vegetarian and not eating much vegetables, what the heck are you eating?

Kale makes a brilliant soup, with barley, onions, celery, carrots. Yum! Can even put beans in it if you want.

Get some flax seed in your diet also. They are tasty! I put them in my homemade multi grain bread. Or hemp seed oil. It's more expensive than flax seed but is still very good for you.

Can never go wrong with mushrooms. There are soooo many types of mushrooms that have different flavors that can imitate meat texture or even taste like seafood. Mushrooms provide protein as well as micro nutrients.

Maybe you should check out the book "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman. It lists nutritional stuff and how to eat vegetarian and not miss out on your nutrients. Plus menus!

You live in a great climate which should have tons of fresh local produce. A large city like where you live should have an awesome veg market. I did a simple web search and found over 20!

Eat fresh, and eat seasonal. And stuff your face with veggies. They hardly have any calories. Buy a steamer. I did and it was the best purchase EVER.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM
-

Quote:
If your body is craving red meat then I say go get it.
Screw the brocoli AG (well .... you know what I mean ) it's proteins you need. Ditto on what BM said , if you want a steak , go ahead and get yourself one , life's too short .....

I know that 'légumineuses' are a substite for meat (the peas BM was mentioning)

that is the reason I don't go 100% veggie , I know there's some good recipes but I don't cook so my diet would suck big time.
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
If you're a vegetarian and not eating much vegetables, what the heck are you eating?
That's why I'm having a problem!!! I know what you mean AG, when I first cut out the meat I felt fine, but the last few weeks I've been feeling kinda wonky and forgetful.... I already take a multivitamin but I think I might still be lacking something as I don't eat nearly enough veggies. (I really don't like many, so I'm relying on my faves and the meatless meat stuff...) I think I'll have to talk to my doctor too.

Oh and I'm also doing semi-vegitarian, no red meats, but am eating some fish and the very rare chicken/turkey breast if my parents invite us for bbq.

( I've lost about 7 lbs since cutting out the red meat, and my sugar has been much better!)

Hope you get some good advice and start feeling better soon AG!!!
(And thanks for bringing this up, I was beginning to think I was slipping or something, never thought this could be why!)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you everyone, for all of your comments and suggestions.

I stopped at the market on the way home and got some broccoli and vegan sausage. I made some of that with some brown rice, and I feel slightly better. Much better than this afternoon, but I know I'm not where I should be.

I stopped working out until I see a doctor, because there are days when I feel either too nauseous or too dizzy. Until I am able to see my doctor, I'm going to fill up on veggies and protein in the form of beans. I'm going to look for some avocados too. I don't know, maybe I may start to add fish to my diet once or twice a month. I'm still thinking about that one.

For a time I was making some slow cooker bean stews, but i got tired of those. Maybe I'll make one this weekend though.

Veggie juice, I don't know why I never even though of that as an option at the very least for an afternoon snack.

I was fine this morning, but I started going down hill just before lunch. I eat breakfast at around 7:15-7:30, so I'm wondering if part of my problem today was also just low blood sugar. Tomorrow, I'll take some fruit and yogurt so I can have something every few hours.

Chico, you are right, I'm always thinking I've got to keep myself healthy for my gang. I can't get sick and heaven forbid not be able to take care of them.

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

My sister is a veggie as well. Her first attempt failed after a few years as she feel very ill due to not balancing her meals accordingly. She went to see professionals and they taught her what to eat and how to eat. She has been succesful now for many years and she looks amazing.

See a professional to help you., I think it's the only way to go if this is the lifestyle you choose.
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
That's why I'm having a problem!!! I know what you mean AG, when I first cut out the meat I felt fine, but the last few weeks I've been feeling kinda wonky and forgetful.... I already take a multivitamin but I think I might still be lacking something as I don't eat nearly enough veggies. (I really don't like many, so I'm relying on my faves and the meatless meat stuff...) I think I'll have to talk to my doctor too.

Oh and I'm also doing semi-vegitarian, no red meats, but am eating some fish and the very rare chicken/turkey breast if my parents invite us for bbq.

( I've lost about 7 lbs since cutting out the red meat, and my sugar has been much better!)

Hope you get some good advice and start feeling better soon AG!!!
(And thanks for bringing this up, I was beginning to think I was slipping or something, never thought this could be why!)
I'd love to know what your doctor tells you when you see him.

Yeah, I've been really using the meat substitutes as my protein substitue, and to answer your question, CearaQC, I have been making the mistake of eating pasta and rice. I actually have cut down on those this month, so you can imagine how much I've cut out of my food.

No doubt I'm not eating 1. enough and 2, the right amount and kinds of food.

When I began this little odyssy of mine, I figured, this will be easy. Cut out meat and eat pasta, rice, salad and I'll be okay.

Um...no.

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My sister is a veggie as well. Her first attempt failed after a few years as she feel very ill due to not balancing her meals accordingly. She went to see professionals and they taught her what to eat and how to eat. She has been succesful now for many years and she looks amazing.

See a professional to help you., I think it's the only way to go if this is the lifestyle you choose.
That's encouraging! I'm looking into the new insurance I have to see if they offer any proactive type of nutritional help.

I've just felt so bad about failing at this. That's another thing. I need tell myself it's not failure if I have a slip up now and then, and if I need to backtrack and go slower.

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Ancientgirl, Once you feel better than are some good sources for iron which are vegetarian and very powerful. They are liquid plant extracts, and my physician recommended then when my b12 and iron went super low.
I do take a b12 supplement which works for some people, instead of injections.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
That's encouraging! I'm looking into the new insurance I have to see if they offer any proactive type of nutritional help.

I've just felt so bad about failing at this. That's another thing. I need tell myself it's not failure if I have a slip up now and then, and if I need to backtrack and go slower.
When it comes to health and making sacrifices, you do whatever it is that makes you healthy and vibrant. If it means temporarily or even permenantly going a different route, then you do so.

Put it this way: What good will you be to your pets if you are not well?