Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 10th, 2009, 07:49 AM
banned user

My vet thought Science Diet over Orijen

For both my cat and my dog. First thing I did was laugh, then I walked out. (after check-up was done of course)

You would think Vets would be the first to realize just how silly the idea of feeding grains and lots of carbs to dogs and cats actually is.
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

You would think right?

My vet doesn't push Science Diet on me.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I went into my vet for a consultation on RAW and found them to be a bit mystified. They do sell Science Diet as the office there too.
Great vet- just not experts on nutrition.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Most vets only have a semester or two of nutritional training and those are taught by people trained by.......the pet food companies!

Of course your vet recommended Science Diet! He sells it and makes money for doing so.
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

My Toronto vet only suggests Hill's - note Hill's is sold by Canadian Vets - when there is a health issue - such as bladder stones/crystals - or upset tummy - I LOVE the canned I/D - for just in case situations - I rotate 2 cans - so far have only used 2 cans in 4 years and this was after my pup's dental 2 months ago. Much easier than the chicken/rice etc. diets and many Eskimo Moms finally just get the Hill's I/D - good thing it tastes good. The stone food - at least in 1989, not so good - but it worked - for me that was the main point - and my guy "recovered" and was able to return to a normal diet which was a very good thing considering he was a gourmet Dachshund. Hopefully my Eskie won't develop stones - although they are prone to it. Of course there are other health issues requiring a specific food - and sometimes Hill's is the better way to go to cover every angle. For those that disagree with me - fine - this is not a debate. By the way, my dogs have always been very healthy - except for Dachshund disc disease - not preventable by food choices - and my Eskie had the doggie flu once - and just dentals due to Collie shaped mouth and refusal to have teeth cleaned - not to mention turning into Cujo when given a bone. My vets are very educated food wide. My guy eats Fromms Four Star and has since 9 months.
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Science Diet likely sponsors a lot of things at Vet school, to get their name out there. Their salespeople push their products at vets. Add to that how little GOOD info there is out there on canine nutrition..and there you go.
I was VERY surprised when I got Scruff and took him for his first check up to hear the vet suggest feeding raw fruit/veg to scruffy, not to rely on processed food for his nutritional needs. Progress is slow but it's coming.