Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:48 AM

hi, white cat problem

I adopted a 2 year old female white cat by just seeing a picture of her from a colleague at work, she looked so cute and was told she is affectionate. Ive had Maggie now for 3 weeks and she is a friendly cat but when I picked her up I saw that she has a weight problem and cannot clean herself after doing number 2 due to being fat (am working on that with her) , she has a really bad stained and smelly bottom all the time, I tried to wipe her off with baby wipes as much as I could but its still bad, am now thinking I should give her a really good bath, can anyone recommend a good cleaning solution and anything that will help remove the brown stains under her tail? Wish my colleague would of been honest with me and told me of this problem, no wonder she was happy to see her go.....thanks.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww poor kitty. I don't have any advice on bathing a cat since I've never done it but I'm sure others here can help you. Is she a long or short-haired cat?

What are you feeding Maggie?

Duh - where are my manners? I forgot to welcome you to pets.ca!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; September 3rd, 2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

welcome to the board! i too never have given a cat a bath and scares me to think of it. all the claws and teeth!

more members will be along shortly i'm sure.

pics be nice. we love pics!

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to our Forum!
I too have a white cat and when he had the runs not too long ago,he was an awful mess.
I too have never bathed a cat,but we cut most of his hair on his back-legs and his bum area(very carefully),it made it much easier to clean him.
If he has just a little from regular poop(not the runs),I let it dry and then brush it out.
Some people bath their cats,I would never,but maybe this cat is used to it,you could ask the former owner.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

hi. white cat

Clipping the hair and then just bathing the rear end should help but better still perhaps you know a groomer in the area who could shave the fur off for you thus allowing the baby wipes do their job.
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Welcome to Pets.ca and pictures are a must. Your friend should have been honest with you. It will be hard to get her weight down but you must at least try. Vets recommend a low fat, high fibre diet, Hill's prescription diet W/D. You will also be preventing the cat from getting diabetes. As her weight goes down she will be able to clean herself. There are many good products on the market for bathing cats. Did you get her vet's papers too? One of my friends has a cat with this problem and since she has several cats, it is hard to feed only one cat with diet food. So for her it is not an option. She washes her cat herself, but the cat is a grouch, maybe because of her obesity?
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I would take your cat to a groomer to get cleaned up. We used to have a white cat - who of course was also deaf - but open that fridge and she was there. She was also very overweight when we got her - it took a long time but we finally got her weight down to normal. This was in the late 1970s when high quality pet foods were what are now considered to be crap. We didn't put her on a diet type of food - but just cut back and it finally worked -very hard to do but eventually.... We now have an American Eskimo dog - his fur is like that of a white Persian cat. He hasn't had a butt "episode" in a few years, but it wasn't pretty - and I always have the wet wipes with me. Eskies can have sensitive tummies, but he does very well on Fromms Salmon A La Veg - we started him on it at 9 months - he is now 5 1/2 - but up until that time digestive enzymes were being considered. We tried him on the Missing Link due to dry skin issues, but that caused cannon butt with him when he reached full dose - so that ended that. He is very good at keeping himself clean - BUT IT was harder when at age 2 he gained 6 extra lbs. - his ideal weight being 22 lbs. - husband was giving him table scraps that were much too large - something the size of a flea will do, it is the principle that counts. At 28 lbs. he was considered obese and he had a problem with cleaning his butt. It took 6 months to get his weight back to normal - and I did it by cutting bread from my husband's dinner - my husband does not gain weight no matter how much he eats - and can't seem to grasp that each piece of bread you give our Eskie does not need to be the size of a dinner roll! Hope everything works out - unfortunately, I do not know of a good cat groomer in Ottawa - we left in 1980 - but I would ask your vet - he/she most likely grooms pets - not in the same way as a professional dog/cat groomer does, but certainly for your purposes maybe the way to go. Best of luck.