Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM

golden retreiver swollen around the eyes and bumps along the nose and jaw

i have a golden retreiver and this morning she woke up and her eyes were swollen, there was no discharge, this afternoon i came home for lunch about 4 hours later and her face was swollen she has some small bumps al over her snout and also some large ones. and her lips closest to the ear are swollen they look like chipmunk cheeks..the whites of her eyes are now pink and she has a hard time opening them even thought they aren't as swollen as they were this morning. i don't knwo what it could be. the vet i phoned said to give her benydrl and nothing really happened except she slept.
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If the Benadryl isn't helping then she definitely needs to see a vet. It might be some sort of infection instead of an allergy...or the allergy might be so severe that she'll need stronger meds to bring down the swelling.

I hope she's better soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM

thats what i figured...it is so weird i don't know what she could have gotten into. she was in my hosue for most of the day and hasn't gone anywhere new. she seems so sad..and her eyes are swollen to just slants. do you think it could be a bug bite or multiple bites instead of infection
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I suppose it could still be a bug bite...any chance a wasp got into the house while you were gone? We've seen some pretty puffy faces after wasp bites...

Regardless, though, if she's not responding to Benadryl, she'll need something stronger, even if it is just a bug bite. And if it does turn out to be an allergic reaction, you might want to talk to the vet about getting some rescue meds on hand in case it happens again.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM

ok, she is also eating alot more grass than usual could that be a sign of anything?
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sometimes if a dog is feeling poorly and is trying to purge its system of something, it will start eating a lot of grass. But eating grass this time of year isn't that abnormal.

Has the grass been treated with something recently? Is it possible she picked up a toxin from the grass? Or could she have gotten stung while going after grass? We had a nest of ground bees in the basement yard a few years ago that had three dogs and hubby all a bit puffy about the face for a while.

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:52 PM

could be, i will have my husband check in the a.m. i don't know.. i will just take her tot he vet tomorrow. thanks for the advice
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Make sure you leave a door open for him in case he finds ground bees.