Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow Bridge

Losing a friend is very hard, and many people take comfort in reading the story of the Rainbow Bridge
Old December 23rd, 2004, 11:43 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

It is very hard, but it does get easier with time.

We recently lost a Husky 3 months ago that we were very close to.

It was quite difficult and we shed many tears, but now I tell my wife that at the Rainbow bridge Rex gets to eat homecooked meat filled lasagna with TONS of parmasean cheese. He gets to have triple portions.

It makes her smile, me too.

Only good happens at the Rainbow Bridge. There is no suffering there.

To all who have lost their furry/furless bundle of joy, you have our condolences and our support.
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM

When we loose one of our pets it is extremely hard for us and as mentioned only after a while one starts to feel better. But what happens when it is the other way round. Here is a story I came across while browsing on the net :
http://www.aaamalta.com/stories.htm
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Meagan

Meagan was born October 24, 1992 and she passed on August 21, 2005. We had contacted Pet Friends earlier in July and when the time came a vet from there came to my mother's house in the Laurentians. I chose to bury Meagan there because she always loved going to her nana's and her first friend Lady (my mom's dog) was buried there. They are buried beside each other. I read the rainbow bridge story and I cried, still I sit here with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I believe that that is where my little girl and her friends are running and playing. I sometimes wish I could be there with her too but I still have my other kids here that need me too.

I believe when Meagan finally passed to the other side that I heard Lady barking. Almost like she was waiting there for Meagan and also letting me know that she (Meagan) wasn't alone.

I miss her soooooooo much and my heart aches for her. Mommy loves you Meagan!
Old September 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM

That's so sad. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Losing a very loved pet is so hard.
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM

I lost Fluffy, my feline daughter, 5 years 9 months and 21 days ago. The pain eased eventually but it still hurts. Especially on her birthday and the anniversary of her death. But all that pain has been renewed with my canine daughter Jesse being diagnosed with untreatable cancer, and my foster daughter Sheeba who just recently moved back in with her parents going blind in one eye and having a lump biopsied.

A few weeks after Fluff died (once the tears settled enough so i could see, my son stopped crying and Patches decided to stop her suicide attempt) I found Rainbow Bridge story. I have it hanging on the wall between fluffy's pictures. Its one of the sweetest but saddest stories Ive ever read
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:37 AM

I Lost My Cat Tonight

My beautiful cat friend T.C. that has been with me for almost 23 years died tonight. He stopped eating but he would still drink water. He kept losing his balance when he walked. He would no longer drink from his water dish so I would give him water with a medicine dropper throughout the night.Yesterday when I came home at lunchtime he wouldn't drink from the dropper at all. When I came home from work at lunchtime today his breathing had brcome really shallow. I asked him to please wait for me til I got home-I couldn't bear the thought of him dying alone. I was laying on the couch with him when he died. I held him and told him I loved him then he was gone. I wrapped him in a blanket but I just can't cover up his head yet-I guess I just can't let him go yet. I will bury him tomorrow-it will be so hard knowing I'll never see him again. I can't stop crying-I feel so lost.Thank you for listening.
Old December 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM

Ivory and Popi

Hello everyone, I am new hear.

I am posting here, because 2 and a half years ago I lost my male poodle, whose name is Popi and he was 18 when he passed away. I was just finally getting to the point where I was knowing he is in a better place. Then my little girl, whose name is Ivory, passed away at only 9 and I am heart broken. I miss both of them so much and just wish I could hold them.

Its hard for me, because I went back to college to make their lives better and I can't do that now. I do have a new puppy and he is really loving and I love him. I just don't know how to handle not having Ivory and Popi anymore. Its almost liek why go on and then I think and say Ivory and Popi would want me to be happy.

That being said, is hard to do. Can anyone give me any tips in how to handle this.

I feel as though my mom was trying to replace Ivory and Popi with my new puppy. She got the puppy for me for Christmas. I love him like I said above.

Anything you can tell me?

Thanks.

Vance
Old December 1st, 2006, 05:40 PM

I am so sorry that you have lost both your furbabies, but with time, the hurt lessens. You will never forget them and your new puppy cannot, and should not, replace them. It sounds like you have a lot of love to give to your new puppy.....Just try and remember the good times you had with the dogs, I am sure it will make you smile.

There really is nothing anyone can say or do to make the hurt stop....but one day it will lessen, it just takes a long time...

Old December 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM

Thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it. Its hard to go on without them when I had them for so long. Although I don't think I had Ivory near long enough.
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:14 AM

In Time!!

You know what?? ..In time you will remember your passed pets with a smile...all they give is joy...and there is no reason for them to stop doing that just because thay are not with us anymore!!!
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:25 PM

3 in one year.

Last August, I noticed 2 of my dogs having the same symptoms of vomiting, urinating everywhere, not eating. One, was constantly eating grass, the other sounded as if he was losing his breath. My vet was useless, so a friend recommended another--but all he did was pump them with antibiotics-every 8 hrs for one, and 12 for the other. It was like having twins. My male finally took his last breath on Aug. 30. 6 days later, I heard his sister coughing real bad. When I went to her, she had thrown up bile, and wasn't moving. I tried to get her to walk. Idiot me--she had a stroke, and the poor thing kept obeying me, and tried to walk. We went to the 1st vet--who gave her bp pills. geez. But, 2 days later, she could hardly move, and we euthanized her. Two dogs?? We were at an outdoor concert that following saturday-I knew the time my new vet was cremating them---this was so weird, the whole sky got black, it got windy, and we had a violent storm..all I could think about, was them going to that bridge. Because I killed them. The day I picked their ashes up, it was very cloudy..when the girl handed me the heart shaped box, with their ashes, a cloud moved away, and the sun shone in the room....I lost it. They were cremated together. That part is comforting, but I always wondered what happened. On Dec 26, my third died on my couch, in her urine. For a week, she wouldn't move, so we put heavy grade plastic on the couch. Good thing. She's in my yard, buried---cremating 3 dogs--I just didn't have the $150.... then--this recall comes out...I am beside myself, and will fight it forever. In their memory. It gets easier? NO, it doesn't---u forget what they sounded like, how they acted. I'm trying to paint their portrait---all 5 of my dogs, but it's hard to see thru the tears--it will take me forever.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:12 AM

rest in peace Spooky

last night I dreamed I called the county shelter to find you and yet I know you died two years ago, you started as a feral cat who decided to be my friend, at first you ran from my approaches later you laid there and lazily let me pick yu up and when the other feral cats attacked you you took shelter in my old dog pen sleeping in a rabbit hutch where they could not pester you then I took you to the vet and altered you and ytou lived safely in my bathroom for a long time until you decided to try the bedroom out and when we weren't there you slept on our bed we knew we saw the evidence, your black fur and eventually you slept at the foot of the bed when we were there in it, yuo wanted to be loved, then one day i went on a trip and when I returned you were thin and jaundiced and I took you to the vet and a week later I got your ashes which when my husband dies he wants them mingled with his own so you will be with us forever, now we have other cats for some reason feral cats still come to us and we have their kittens, I recall that kitten we once gave you your nose was bent out of joint but later you accepted him and bathed him and let him sleep in your bahroom sink
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM

rainbow bridge

just read rainbow bridge for the first time and the tears are down my face just before we got sam we lost our ten year old german shepherd jess . we were heartbroken and still are but sam takes a litlle of the pain away we will never forget her and she will always have a special place in our hearts and rainbow bridge really helps :sad:
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Unhappy Very sad

I lost my best friend, Terry ,last Tuesday Dec 23rd. This has been the worst experience ever, he was 13 and a half y/o and had been with me since he was a puppy. He got sick on the last week end and was taking to the hospital on Monday night. He couldn't breath well and could not stay up..... very sad. On Tuesday the vets told me he had a type of cancer with a bad prognosis, I went to see him that night and he couldn't breath well, he had been on oxygen and liquids.... one of the highly recommended options was euthanasia, which ended up happening that same night. Now I feel very guilty besides being very sad, I can't stop crying and can't stop thinking about, "what if ??? " I know it will take time, but I wish I was at the end of the bridge playing with him........
I just wish I could know that I made the right decision, this is killing me I feel so guilty that I think I killed my own dog, my best friend. Anyways, thanks for reading.....

Very Sad Vicky:sad:
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Vicky never doubt your decision. You gave him 13 1/2 yrs.! That is awesome~!

Be sure to know that he is running free of pain at the Rainbow Bridge!

We are here for you if you need us!

RIP sweet one!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Unhappy

Thank you for your words... I'll keep that in mind .. but it just hurts too much
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Terrycito, I know this section is for the Rainbow Bridge but I think this poem is perfect for the prelude to the bridge. Please take some comfort in it. Know that if your precious pup could have spoken to you this is what you may have heard......

MAY I GO

by Susan A. Jackson

May I go now?
Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?

I've lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.

I want to go. I really do.
It's difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me
and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid,
because I see your tears.

I'll not be far, I promise that,
and hope you'll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me.
You know I love you, too.
That's why it's hard to say goodbye
and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you'll let me go today.

Dedicated to everyone who has ever had to put down a beloved dog.

Author: Susan A. Jackson

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Unhappy

Thank you, the poem is beautiful
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM

sad to hear your loss

hi marko
sorry to hear you sad loss regarding your beloved pet,
they say time heals , but memories live forever.
mine are in spirit, dougal and laddie
laddie april1978-1994
dougal 1992-1994 but doug come in 1994 he was already 2yrs old.
I love animals and have all my life and I do believe that thee is another life they live.
yours wendy205
Attached Images

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

omgod so sorry for your loss!!!! brenda and the pins
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Sara care, I am so sorry for the loss of your furbaby. Yes it will get easier as time goes but for now know that Beauto loved you and is romping the hills over the rainbow bridge.
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:36 PM

My beautiful Max passed away in my arms on December 13 yet I was not prepared for the profound grief that overcame my husband and I. Max was our best boy and we travelled far and wide with him. He was a real trooper. I can so relate to all here who are grieving about the loss of their pet.

A couple of days after we recieved Max's ashes, the Vet sent us a poem about the Rainbow Bridge and it brought me a tremendous amount of comfort to know there is a place that he can run like a puppy, eat all the pizza he wants, not just the crusts from Daddy and will be waiting for us when we join him.

We now have a new little guy, who has already brought the smiles back to us, but you know, I still ache for my Max and I think that will get better in time. I used to have a Great Dane named Strider, and even tho it has been over 20 years since he passed there is hardly a week goes by, sometimes days, when I still don't think or talk about him. They live on in our hearts forever. I wish all of you who are grieving , peace in knowing that we will be united again one day.
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM

3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

It was quite difficult and we shed many tears, but now I tell my wife that at the Rainbow bridge Rex gets to eat homecooked meat filled lasagna with TONS of parmasean cheese. He gets to have triple portions.

To all who have lost their furry/furless bundle of joy, you have our condolences and our support.
Oh the tears!! we to lost our girl years ago and just reading your post has made me ball my eyes out. Its been three years for us and it gets easier but only in the sense we try not to think about it all of the time but when we do we both start crying. Maryjane who we lost was a golden retrvr. and our husky who we got to fill the void the nite we put mj down we named her Gracie. You know how you say Grace before x-mas diner to say thanks.We called her Grace because we are thankfull we have her in the moments we miss our MJ.
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:33 AM

We sadly just lost Kobe cat who came to us as a stray almost a year ago. It is never easy and although our hearts are aching, Kobe knew he was loved and his last year brought us so much joy.

I wrote this for him and all the other cats carelessly forgotten and left to fend for themselves.
We love you Kobe and miss you!

I'm Pretty Sure I Lived With You

I’m pretty sure I lived with you about a year ago. I didn’t know the moving sign meant you had to go.

I came back to the place I lived as quiet as a mouse. Someone should have told me this no longer was my house.

I walked around for many months I didn’t often hide, I hoped someone would love me and perhaps take me inside.

I did my best to find some food or perhaps a mouse, I wished I could be warm and safe back inside my house.

I started feeling not so good and sat beside a tree, someone who had left me food, walked right up to me.

Because I trusted from a far, I stayed for a quick pet. She scooped me up and the next day she took me to her vet.

I got a really nasty shot to help me with my plight, and I knew I would feel better soon so didn’t try to fight.

She said I could no longer roam, out there on my own, the air was cold and chilly so now this house was home.

She loved me for almost a year and though her cat family had grown, I was never treated differently I was one of her own.

I cried and cried that morning to just go out and play, I didn’t know what lay ahead on that fateful day.

I never even saw the car, it was going much to fast, and as I lay between the homes I finally breathed my last.

She looked for me for a few days searching high and low, going to the pound that day would be the final blow.

I knew “this time” she’d never rest as long as I was gone. She’d never leave me anywhere where I would be alone.

Did you care about my fate? Have you thought of me? Because I was finally shown love, I’m glad you let me be.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

My beloved Standard Poodle that was my best friend and hearing dog dies Jan. 2011 and I was missing terribly yesterday.
I am sorry to hear about the lost of your beloved dog. Finlay will help him eat the homecooked meat filled lasagna. I did not feed my dog people food because I did not want him begging for food when I took him out restaurants
with me.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal M View Post
Meagan was born October 24, 1992 and she passed on August 21, 2005. We had contacted Pet Friends earlier in July and when the time came a vet from there came to my mother's house in the Laurentians. I chose to bury Meagan there because she always loved going to her nana's and her first friend Lady (my mom's dog) was buried there. They are buried beside each other. I read the rainbow bridge story and I cried, still I sit here with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I believe that that is where my little girl and her friends are running and playing. I sometimes wish I could be there with her too but I still have my other kids here that need me too.

I believe when Meagan finally passed to the other side that I heard Lady barking. Almost like she was waiting there for Meagan and also letting me know that she (Meagan) wasn't alone.

I miss her soooooooo much and my heart aches for her. Mommy loves you Meagan!
I am crying , is it so hard losing a loving dogs. When I was out with my hearing dog I had people come up to me and they would tell me about their childhood dogs and how much they still miss them. One older man told me he had two Standard Poodles and that he would never get another dog as he could not handle losing it.
Old May 27th, 2013, 12:11 PM
banned user

Unhappy Zorba

I have read all and to all I am sorry for your losses. My case is different I had to make that choice and I am still hanging on to him..I dreamt of him last nite I think because I woke up with him on my mind. I prayed asking that if somehow could he show me that he is happy. Zorba has affected me like no other animal I ever owned. I want to be with him but I have to children now and one of them is his brother. Harley for his age is doing great better than Zorba. Zorba had started to drink allot of water, my summation is that either he had the onsets of liver, kidney or diabetic. He lost control of his bowels, I had to put briefs of him. Than I noticed and felt all of these lumps on his head, yet he showed not signs of agony. He would always come his tail wagging he only wanted to be near me 24/7. This REGAL dog whom I brought home from the country at the tender age of 5 weeks. I love Harley too immensely he had a bond with his brother that had been stronger I say this because it is the Canine rule of thumb they speak the same language. But both understood who Mommy is and both were inseparable. December 22/2012, Zorba was 13 years 3 month, and 1 week young, that is a very short life span as far as I am concerned. Where in the Hell did I go wrong, what did I not notice. What could have I done differently. Yes he is no longer in pain he is with is extended family.
Old September 13th, 2014, 07:33 PM

There are some very touching posts in this thread. *hugs* I wanted to read The Rainbow Bridge, but the link is dead. Does anyone have a copy of it?
Old December 21st, 2014, 11:07 AM

I am extremely sorry for your lose. Time heals all wounds.