Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

This just bugs me !

I was "window shopping" on the local shelter's website. There are two new doggies listed there today. A 6 and a half year old pug and a 9 and half year old shih tzu that they are hoping to adopt together since they've been together for 6 and half years. The reason they're at the shelter? "The kids were being mean."

I can not even imagine. First of all I can't imagine my children ever having been mean to an animal but if they ever did do anything remotely mean I would have come down so hard on them that they wouldn't have repeated that behavior. I hope these doggies do get adopted out together but I also worry about a family that's raising kids that they can't control. What does this say to the kids? "You aren't expected to control your impulses." (sick impulses I would say) "We fix the rpoblem by throwing away the dogs."

Is this how they punish the kids? The easy way? "If you aren't nice we get rid of the dogs." That's a whole lot easier than actually dealing with and changing the child's behavior.

AAAGH !!

Nice family.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM

Some people
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
NOT a senior member

It's so unfortunate that there are people that consider companion animals as disposable property. Possibly when these dogs were surrendered, they used that as an excuse in an effort to appear that they cared about the dogs well being. In a perfect world, those parents would discipline their children and ensure the poor dogs were treated kindly, instead of just dumping them. However I would prefer to see those dogs in a better home rather than suffer at the hands of unruly children and bad parents. Just another sad story...:sad:

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
-

I agree and just look at the unfortunate lesson they have taught their children. :sad:
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Incredible! I also get mad when I hear mothers tell their kids to behave otherwise "that dog over there will bite you" It happened to me with Rafal (my hovawart) who was the sweetest dog and not a biting breed anyway, no way would he have bit a child unprovoked and certainly not because some deranged mother told him to! She didn't even know me or Rafal! I had to open my mouth of course, and told the kid that no, my dog would never hurt him! The mother stood there looking stupid and I gloated to myself! Some people are too stupid to have kids!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
In a perfect world, those parents would discipline their children and ensure the poor dogs were treated kindly, instead of just dumping them. However I would prefer to see those dogs in a better home rather than suffer at the hands of unruly children and bad parents. Just another sad story...:sad:
Sometimes I wonder if it might not be a good idea to require prospective owners to at least pass a written test before they are allowed to have pets .... I know, too much restrictive regulation is probably the wrong way to go, but it is tempting sometimes!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Up at my vet are two cats in a cage,6yrs old and 7yrs old,one orange and one black:sad:I saw them a couple of weeks ago allready.
They were dumped because the couple had a baby
I just cannot get these two out of my head,they looked totally defeated and sad..
The black cat is full of dandruff and looks dusty,I don't think my vets staff is taking good care of them
I wish I could tell the former owners how unhappy these sweet cats are,probably with no chance of adoption,since the vet also has a cage with 7 kittens..
I just hate people,because of them,I am feeling really upset,there is no way we could take 2 more cats.:sad: I soo wish I could .
I certainly hope,that people who dump trusting loving animals,one day will sorely regret their selfishness and I hope it hurts!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama View Post
Is this how they punish the kids? The easy way?
Yep, the easy way.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, why don't you go to the vets and take a couple of pictures and post them here. You never know, someone who lives in your area might take pity on them. If they're up for adoption, the vet would probably welcome the help and they won't keep them forever, unless a rescue steps in.
I have a lousy track record lately but remember that Maine Coon we got adopted from my vet's?
Just a thought.
What an ignorant couple. People are so self-centred, nothing else counts but their precious comfort.

Last edited by badger; April 2nd, 2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
there is no way we could take 2 more cats.:sad: I soo wish I could .
I certainly hope,that people who dump trusting loving animals,one day will sorely regret their selfishness and I hope it hurts!
Aw Chico, you so could... WUSS!

And I agree, and I do believe that people who treat animals like disposable accessories will get theirs, usually sooner than they think.

It's sad that some people never allow themselves to know what its like to truly love and care for an animal, and the unconditional love you are showered with in return. It's priceless and we are the lucky ones who know how blessed we are.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger,that is a good idea,I've thought of it before,the cats will more than likely go to HS this week.
I believe they will be better off there than at the vets,at least they are let out of their cages to play,even go outside in the cat-run,a friend of mine built for HS.
Our HS,will not euthanize healthy cats,not even sick ones,if it's curable.

Dahmer,sure,make me feel more guilty than I already do
There is no way,we could have 2 more cats,we are tooo old,tooo retired,can't afford 2 more.
Rocky already attacked me 3 times over the years,sending me to hospital,just from SEEING strange cats through the window and we have a spraying problem with him
Hubby would move out,personally I could easily turn in to a bankrupt cat-lady
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwwwww, those poor kitties at the vet!!! That is so sad!! I never understand ppl who "throw away" - and in my view, that is what they do - cats just because they have a baby. It is so senseless and cruel!!!!

I agree- a picture here or even a courtesy listing at some rescue might help these poor cats. What about Abbey Cats or one of the groups in Toronto?

Good luck!!! I hate to think of those cats at the HS- they'd have almost no chance !!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM

I know what I'd do if I had kids and they were mean to my animals. But, that's just me.

However, I hope that the parents are looking into this "meanness". As stated before in a previous thread, there's a corrolation between animal cruelty and serial killers.....scary.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM

I think my parents would have shipped me off before they gave up their dogs to new homes. Why does it seem like kids are getting worse and worse? I hope the dogs find a new and loving home soon.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt_danish View Post
I think my parents would have shipped me off before they gave up their dogs to new homes. Why does it seem like kids are getting worse and worse? I hope the dogs find a new and loving home soon.
Kids are getting worse for the same reason the shelters are filling up. It is simply too hard for some parents to discipline their children and teach them right from wrong and too inconvenient to keep a pet that pees every time they "forget" to take them out. Lately it seems like people are less inclined to deal with even small problems like housebreaking and loose leash walking than ever before and I can only imagine it is the same with their children. We are about to witness a most violent and socially inept generation and I seriously fear for our future.