Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Diabetic Cat ~ Nothing seems to help other than Fancy Feast Oceanfish

Hi All ~ Monte was diagnosed with Diabetes 10/27/2007. Since then we have switched his insulins from PZI to Lantus and have tried soo many different kinds of wet food brands/menus imaginable to get his numbers under control. The only one that has finally worked (past month) out of everything is Fancy Feast Oceanfish & Tuna. I am worried that he along with my other 2 cats will be getting too much phosphorus in their diet however, nothing else is working. I am hoping some one can shed some light here. It is getting to be soo frustrating.
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi monte07, and welcome to the board.

Sorry to hear about Monte's diabetes diagnosis. I know what that's like! My cat, Aztec, just "celebrated" his 5th year with it.

Some questions for you:
Do you test Monte's blood glucose yourself?
What have his bg numbers been like (from you or from the vet)?
What dose is he on now and what did he start off at?

Then we'll take it from there.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Sorry it took a few days to get back. I test Monte's bg levels every day. Before I put him on the Oceanfish Tuna his numbers were in the 300's with numbers being as high as 475 in the evenings. When I switched him to Oceanfish his numbers dropped to the 200's and even had regular days for a week in the 100's. Then out of curiosity, I switched back to Wellness Turkey this past week and what do you know, he's back in the 400's in the am and upper 200's in the evening. I am so lost. I haven't changed his dose, keeping him pretty much at 1.75U 2x daily.
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

i have a min pin since oct/ diabect/ i have put him on orgen, he loves it and doing well with it sugars are good and weight is great, good luck to you 2, brenda and the pins.

Last edited by the gang; March 14th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Monte should be put on a diet, your cat could be diabetes free for life (did your vet tell you that?) and I recommend this food, Hill's Prescription diet W/D (weight control). My 10 year old tortie is on diabetes watch, since she is over 14 lbs. She is losing weight slowly and has to be weighed every month at the vet's. Weight watchers for cats Ha! Ha! This is for the other people with overweight pets, preventive medicine is the only way to go! I am very lucky to have found this wonderful vet.
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

All right, well it's good that you have a handle on testing, and it doesn't look like we're dealing with a rebound situation.

As for the food issue, I'm wondering if it's a calorie thing. The fish flavours tend to be lower in calories, (Ocean Whitefish is 29 cal/oz) and perhaps when you try other varieties, (Wellness especially - the Turkey has 39 cal/oz) the insulin dose has trouble overcoming the higher calorie load. What happens if you bump the dose up a touch, say to a skinny 2u, when you feed Wellness? Or perhaps you need to feed slightly less of it. I know the focus in the FD world tends to be on the carb content of foods, which is certainly important, but calories are also a big factor.

My problem with a mainly fish-based diet is more than just the phosphorus. There's the source of the fish, which tends to be poor quality "discards" from overseas (I believe Thailand and China are big providers) as well as the concentration of toxins like mercury and PCBs in the fish. Certain seafoods also tend to have a high histamine count, which can result in allergy-type ailments. And then there's the fact that seafood has a strong smell/taste, which cats are easily habituated to. This can make it very difficult to switch to other foods if you need to.

Hope that helps a bit.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM

I am so sorry again to get back so late to this post. Seems like the only time I get to do this is at work, yes, I know, no,no. Anyways. I put Monte back on Wellness Turkey and his numbers went straight up into the 400's to HI again and stayed there pretty consistently last week up til Saturday. Then my husband gave him the FF oceanfish by mistake and what do you know his numbers dropped to 85 and stayed in the 100's all day & night. I've been feeding this to him everyday since and his numbers are so low and I am using just .5u insulin. Barely anything. Perhaps I can even get him off insulin? Anyways, I know he shouldn't be eating this so my question, what would work like this does? It has a huge effect on him. Thanks, Katie