Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM

Wellness dog food for cats

It has turned out that our cat Maggie does not care much for fish of any kind. The majority of Wellness carried by our store has some kind of fish in it. The clerk suggested it would be alright to give her the canned Wellness dog food because of the variety. Sugarcatmom. is this O.K. Thanks. Laurie and Maggie
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Laurie,

I know that the Chicken and Beef & Chicken Wellness cat foods don't have fish in them, but the rest of them do have some. I wouldn't feed Maggie the dog food varieties, however. Cats have specific nutrient requirements like taurine and vitamin A that aren't found in sufficient quantities in most dog foods. Was the clerk thinking of the new 95% meat varieties? Those would be fine for supplemental feeding (like as a treat, or maybe 1 or 2 meals a week), but they aren't properly balanced for regular feeding (for dogs or cats).

What other brands does the store carry? Nature's Variety or Innova might be better options. Is Tailblazers very far from you? They have some decent varieties like Evangers, Merrick, and the two I mentioned. In fact, the Innova EVO 95% meat flavours are similar to the Wellness ones except that they are balanced for everyday feeding and are made for cats. I'd recommend giving those a try if you can find them.

Good luck! Aztec isn't big on seafood either, and it can be a challenge to find fish-free cat foods.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM

hi

i am sure sugarcat will respond in excellent detail.. but i will say that i would not recommend giving your kitty dog food, simply because the nutrient requirements are not the same, cats require different levels of protein much more than dogs do as a rule, they also require different levels of minerals, vitamins such as taurine etc, and dog foods vary quite a bit. there are many good cat foods out there that dont have fish in them that are a high quality and grainless if that is what you are looking for. i would have to re-read previous posts.. was there a reason you were using wellness specifically as in were some other foods causing your kitty stomach problems? i know that innova, merricks, and natures variety are a few that have grain free foods, among others.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:53 PM

sugar beat me to the punch by six minutes
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM

Thanks so much. Tailblazers in Lethbridge is our store. The dogfood is the Wellness 95% meat kind. We will do as you suggest and try some of the other brands. Wellness is so good I wish she would just eat it. I thought cats liked fish. Thanks for all the time you take helping. Laurie and Maggie.

Last edited by Maggieandme; March 3rd, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:05 PM

Loopoo Thanks for your advice too. Laurie
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopoo View Post
sugar beat me to the punch by six minutes
Good try though! I love how similar our posts are.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:45 AM

If you know they like one of the non-fish varieties they do not carry, will they order it in for you? It would probably need to be a full case though.

The Wellness Turkey also has no fish in it. I see from the link that store carries Nature's Variety Instinct and Felidae which also has no fish but these are not grain free if that is the direction you are going.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
I see from the link that store carries Nature's Variety Instinct and Felidae which also has no fish but these are not grain free if that is the direction you are going.
Just to clarify, Nature's Variety Instinct is grain-free. Their Prairie and Homestyle varieties are not. And if you do try Felidae, the only one without fish is Chicken & Rice.