Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Wellness Core for Cats

50% protein? Isn't that too much? I just tried a can of the regular Wellness. Has no grains, but it does have potatoes and carrots and such. 10% protein, I don't know what the normal amount in a canned food is - but 50% on the dry? I dunno about that,,,,,

She does like the canned (wow). I hope it's really good for her because it is hard to find a non-junk canned that she will eat!
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM

You're talking about the difference between wet and dry weight. I don't know the conversion offhand but the differences in what you quote for protein % are probably not as much as you think, and could even be the same amount. Yes, canned is great for cats, just better quality and more moisture which they all benefit from.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post
50% protein? Isn't that too much? I just tried a can of the regular Wellness. Has no grains, but it does have potatoes and carrots and such. 10% protein, I don't know what the normal amount in a canned food is - but 50% on the dry? I dunno about that,,,,,
The dry weight % of protein per 100 calories of CORE is 47%, and the dry weight of the canned varieties averages out to around 30%, depending on flavour. The canned has more fat and less carbs.

Quote:
She does like the canned (wow). I hope it's really good for her because it is hard to find a non-junk canned that she will eat!
Canned Wellness is an excellent product, that's great that your kitty likes it. In fact, I'd ditch the dry and feed only canned if I were you. It's just not necessary (and in fact can be harmful) for cats to eat kibble.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:56 AM

Our cats easily switched to Wellness canned from dry kibble. Their fur has never been so soft, and they are both losing weight. Meeko was 20 lbs in November before being switched from Purina One kibble to ACANA, and then to Origen kibble. My wife said they wouldn't eat canned cat food, but they went nuts over their first canned food meal. Last week they finished off the last of the kibble and are now eating exclusively canned Wellness. I weighed him yesterday at under 16 lbs. I imagine he should likely weigh around 12 lbs and it shouldn't take too long to get there.
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM

I'm working on getting her onto more canned, and in the meantime upgrading her dry. I'm worried over the protein content in the Core variety - too much damages kidneys.
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I'm worried over the protein content in the Core variety - too much damages kidneys.
Its actually not the protein you need to worry about it's the level of phosphorus. I have done a ton of research on kidney failure because my cat has it and recent studies have shown the protien levels make very little difference in the amount of work the kidney are doing. As long as you are feeding a good high quality protein, are keeping an eye on phosphorus and calcium levels. Unless your cat has a history or levels close to kidneys issues I don't think you need to worry about it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Naturaly, she won't even eat it. SIGH. IT was $4/pound! Brat.

Anyway, in case she changes her mind, is this food OK with the phosphorous and such? She is 16 or 17, and I need her to live another 40 years or so

For some reason, I find less info on cat food than dog.:sad:
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm working on getting her onto more canned, and in the meantime upgrading her dry. I'm worried over the protein content in the Core variety - too much damages kidneys.
Quality protein does not damage kidneys. The best thing for kidney health is to ensure adequate water intake, so moving towards a wet food diet is the way to go. I think it's important to look at what cat's have evolved eating over thousands of years to see what an ideal feline diet would be. Mice generally have a protein content around 50% (dry matter), so there's nothing wrong with CORE in that respect. But mice are also around 60-70% water, which is where CORE falls down (10%). As an interim food while you transition to canned, it's fine.

Some links for you if you want to do your own research:
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...needcannedfood
http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Same age as my grrl

Has she had a full geriatric blood panel & urinalysis this year? at her age she really should be getting them done twice a year.

I would say for a cat 16 or 17 years old the phos & calcium levels are a bit high even without pre-existing renal issues. However the Core is based on a raw diet (way better than dry or canned foods) which is why the protien and related nutrient levels are higher.

If she is eating the grain free Wellness canned and won't eat the Core dry why not use this time to make a full switch to canned - if she already won't eat the krunchies you put out she should be eatting more of the canned.

As for the bag of Core you have now, your local shelter will gladly accept a food donation

Old April 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM

Well, she did like the wellness canned. But not enough for all her meals. She has a cut-off point and she will not eat anymore, it just crusts over and ruins.

The best I can do now is take the dry food away overnight and get her to eat as much of a can as possible in the AM, after that she will starve before eating any more unless I put out dry.

As I stated, I am working on that. Right now I'm trying to get a good dry going, and seeing if Wellness Core is even the right one to be trying.

I had a coupon making a 2 pound bag $3 so I decided 'what they heck'? I need to go back to the top ten list, ask another good company for coupons, and try again.

I will donate the Core if she continues to refuse it

She left it in the bottom of the bowl AS USUAL. She's eating Nutro which is OK but not good enough :sad:.

I'm leaving core only out for a day and a half, and after that I'm giving up. She WILL go three days without eating if she doesn't want it.

Maybe longer, but Ive not been able to hold out longer.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Well, she did like the wellness canned. But not enough for all her meals. She has a cut-off point and she will not eat anymore, it just crusts over and ruins.
Are you adding water to the canned? Start with about a teaspoon or so, enough to make it stew like but not soupy if she takes to it like that you can add a bit more water if you like. Try warming it up a little bit in hot water in the sink, not in the microwave. The water will keep the food fresher longer plus make it smell more appetizing.

Have you tried Orijen dry? They have a trial size bag out now 400g here in BC, Canada the MSRP is under $3.

Old April 10th, 2008, 12:11 AM

I have gone through every trick with the wet food. I have her on 1/2 canned right now, so I'm shifting my focus to the 'good dry' issue at this time. Then I will work on the wet food increase again.

Orijin is on the list to ask for samples/coupons from, thanks!
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:24 AM
-

My cats won't eat much wet either so I supplement with Orijen kibble. They love it and are doing great.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM

It's soooo confusing too. Blue Buffalo's ingredients look better than Nutro, but the protein is lower and the carbs are higher. Argh! Those two she will eat, and each has an advantage over the other, but they seem to equal out to me to both be merely 'OK', not 'keep my cat alive and healthy for 40 years' material
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:52 AM

Hee-hee. I just snuck 'Core' into some wet food she loves. Perhaps I can get a decent amount of it into her canned rations, while I continue to seek a dry she will eat by itself.
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cat's are carnivores so 50% protein is not too much. I read somewhere that cats would actually eat about 95% protein if they were to eat rodents. However some of that protein is not quality.

I agree that it is not the amount of protein, but the quality that is important. I feed my cats a combination of foods, just so they are getting benefits from all.

I have noticed a remarkable improvement in my Puddles' health since switching her to Wellness, grain free canned as her main source of food. Took months and patience along with some tears of frustration, but was well worth it. Her fur is no longer greasy, she has developed wonderful muscle mass (yes at 12 years old), and is more energetic. That is proof to me the quality of Wellness. Thanks to growler and sugarcatmom (forever grateful)!

Sweet Pea as well. She came to me as a pregnant stray, so I can't blame her poor fur quality and muscle mass on food quality, just starvation. Sweet Pea's fur was actually better when she was so hungry nursing her 7 kittens that I was able to get her to eat raw and cooked meat as a supplement. Now she won't, think it is because she is never hungry enough, my fault.

As for kidneys and protein. Quality protein is used by the body and is not generally excreted through the kidneys. Poor quality protein can't be used (especially protein from grains) is not used by the body and is therefore excreted through the kidneys.

Wish you would reconsider the canned vs kibble. Their kidneys need constant flushing to ward off infections and crystals.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Poor quality protein can't be used (especially protein from grains) is not used by the body and is therefore excreted through the kidneys.

Wish you would reconsider the canned vs kibble. Their kidneys need constant flushing to ward off infections and crystals.

If that's true, than these foods with corn as a protein source is killing the kidneys on a lot of pets.

I *am* working on the wet, but she is still going to eat some dry, and I need to find a good one.
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
If that's true, than these foods with corn as a protein source is killing the kidneys on a lot of pets.

I *am* working on the wet, but she is still going to eat some dry, and I need to find a good one.
Yes, you are right, the food I was feeding Puddles was CORN filled and her health was deteriating very quickly last year.

I did get a very good suggestion from either sugarcatmom or growler, can't remember, but they suggested I put some pulverized real food toppers on the canned food to entice Puddles to eat it. IT WORKED. It may work for you too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:30 PM

That's awesome, I will try that.

Still focused on getting a good dry in place. It is not practical to eat 100% canned 100% of the time.

I know everyone wants the cats on canned, but it is possible to have a discussion on dry foods too?
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It is not practical to eat 100% canned 100% of the time.
Why not?

------

Old April 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

My three cats are now almost exclusively eating Wellness grainfree canned 3 times/day,but they have been fed canned since they were babies.
They used to free-feed on dry food,but no more,none of mine are too keen on dry food,but they like it as treats.
I could never get them to like Welness Core or regular Wellness dry,they did not seem to like the smallish kibble.
I feel really good about them liking Wellness cans,at least I know they are eating something good.
Hubby does not agree,it gets a bit pricey with 3 cats,but they deserve it.
I found one store that charges"only"$1.05/can compared to $1.29 at Pet-Value.
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
What to say, what to say

If you don't feel safe feeding canned or dry, how about trying raw? If your kitty likes it and it's not very expensive, then go for it because it's just like what a cat would eat in the wild. Canned is great for cats because they need water in their systems so canned food provides that. I don't know why it's not practical to feed canned 100% It's very healthy for them.
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Wow

I don't want to be rude, but I will start a thread on canned food when that is my concern.

I really, REALLY want to talk about dry. I am a bad cat mom, I insist on feeding some dry food. I outright refuse to switch to canned only, attempts at persuasion are futile.

I'd like it to be the best one it can, though. I came here to talk about dry foods and appreciate any on-topic remarks
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
My three cats are now almost exclusively eating Wellness grainfree canned 3 times/day,but they have been fed canned since they were babies.
They used to free-feed on dry food,but no more,none of mine are too keen on dry food,but they like it as treats.
I could never get them to like Welness Core or regular Wellness dry,they did not seem to like the smallish kibble.
I feel really good about them liking Wellness cans,at least I know they are eating something good.
Hubby does not agree,it gets a bit pricey with 3 cats,but they deserve it.
I found one store that charges"only"$1.05/can compared to $1.29 at Pet-Value.

Go to their website and request coupons. I got (2) $5 off! That's how the bag of 'Core' was only $3. A box of dog treats for $1 as well.

They also sent some $1 off, which made the cans cost pennies :-).
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM

update

Refusing the 'Core'. Off to the store to try this formula of Wellness, maybe the fishy part will appeal to her. It may not be the best, but it's got to be better than Nutro or Blue:

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w...th_salmon.html

And I'm going to look into whether I can use the 'Core' for dog treats, lol. I know cat food isn't good for dogs but maybe it's OK or even good for them in small doses (this kind anyway, being mostly meat).
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I came here to talk about dry foods and appreciate any on-topic remarks
Okay, my "on-topic" remark about dry food is that there is no good reason for a cat to be fed it. I am fully aware of my nagging tendencies on this issue , but I can't in good conscience, recommend ANY dry food. All aspects of it (texture, ingredients, moisture level) are inappropriate for felines. The reason it's so popular is because it's so cheap and convenient for people. Does nothing for cats, and may in fact cause harm. So I wish you luck in your quest, that's all the input I have.

Old April 11th, 2008, 12:43 AM

As requested - sticking to Dry only - another good one is Eagle Pack Holistic Select

Old April 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

When I was feeding Jasper Wellness Core, he had very loose stools, so I switched to Orijen and he doesn't have that problem anymore. I know every kitty is different, but thought I would share my experience.

I would like to add that Jasper has some digestive issues anyway and CAN'T eat any food with grain.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Dry food in my mind,was created for the convenience of people not what's good for cats,although the ingredients nowadays are definetly better.
I have a friend who feeds her kitten Whiskas dry and only Whiskas dry,nothing else
Her answer to my suggestions"OMG,I won't mess with canned food!!"
Then again,she also resently had her kitten declawedit did not matter to her what I told her about it,poor kitten:sad:
MIA,sorry for straying
Old April 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Y'all are hysterical. I love my cat. I have spent at least $100 on food that was donated because she won't eat it in my quest to find premium canned and dry that she will consent to.

I've bought one on every variety in the store and taken notes on which she nibbled on, which she scarfed, etc.

I found a canned she will eat, a good one, Wellness grain-free. She, at this time, will only eat so much of it and then starve until I give her dry.

WHILE I am working on that, shouldn't the dry she eats IN THE MEANTIME be a good one?

But people won't help talk about a good dry. That makes a lot of sense. I guess it's better for her to eat meow mix dry while I am moving to canned ?

In the protest against dry, y'all are missing the big picture. I will find another forum.

Thanks for the few people that helped me, and to those that care, she ate the Wellness Complete health I linked above, woo-hoo! Hopefully it wasn't a one-time thing.

It looks much better than Nutro to me.

There are some people that are truly only going to feed dry, and will not go through all this to feed canned - y'all are doing every cat a DISSERVICE not helping those people find a GOOD dry - they will just stick with their meow mix.

WERID.