Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:00 PM

Unheard of cat food brand

Hello everyone . I was wondering anyone knows about a canned cat food that I purchased at a Big Lots store in USA ? I can't find anything about this brand or the distributor on the internet. It's called NUTRA SELECTION - SUPER FEAST. It's distributed by MFOLP, 8 Falconer Drive, Streetsville, ON L5N 181. Says "Product of USA" on can. Bear in mind it's called NUTRA not Nutro. Is it safe and nutritious? The best by date on can is MAR 2007 and code is 50882208 L22182158. Thank you.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Honest Contributor

can you post the ingredients, as listed on the can? this will help us help you

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM

Ingredients:

Here are the ingredients. Thanks.

Water sufficient for processing, poultry by-products, fish by-products, meat by-products, corn meal, soybean meal, pea fiber, carrageenan, potassium chloride, vitamns (E, A, 03, B12 supplements, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium panothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biqtin) minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), choline chloride.

GUARNTEED ANALYSIS: Crude protein (MIN) 8.0%, Crude fat (MIN) 3.0%, Crude fiber (MAX) 3.0%, Moisture (MAX) 78.0%

Note: My cat is on Science Diet XD for calcium oxalate kidney stones. I can't get him to eat much of it and have been using the NUTRA food as more of a treat (about 1 tablespoon at a time, 2X per day).
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

it doesnt seem like a good food. its all by-product
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Seems all by-producty... and the corn meal kinda sets off a red flag for me
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
poultry by-products, fish by-products, meat by-products, corn meal, soybean meal, pea fiber, carrageenan, potassium chloride, vitamns (E, A, 03, B12 supplements, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium panothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biqtin) minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), choline chloride
First, avoid by-products... no reason to feed "leftover inedibles" to your beloved pet :love:

Second, there are no identified sources of protein in there... full of "mystery ingredients" because the manufacturer cannot tell from one batch to the next what they will use, depending on what the market prices are for a truck of rejects... Poultry = from which kind of bird? Fish = from which kind of fish? Meat = what kind of meat? roadkill? cats and dogs? crippled horses? rotten moose?

Third, no cat or dog should be eating corn or soy, both are cheap fillers that are highly indigestible and cause allergic reactions.

... go to a reputable, holistic petshop and buy quality canned food, it's good for cats! Look for Innova, Wellness, Felidae, Solid Gold, Nature's Variety, etc. HINT: if you see a petfood advertised on tv or in magazines... it's not a good food and do not buy it.

Last edited by Ford; March 18th, 2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree,although I always love to visit the Big Lots store when we go to South Carolina,cat-food is not something I would buy from there.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

-- poultry by-products-- this would contain unusable bird parts in human food process, things like feet, feathers, head, organs and undeveeloped eggs, of what ever bird species was available, because it contains whatever there is no consistency from one batch to another can cause stomach upsets when you introduce food from another batch

--fish by-products-- again the term by-products means that it contains unsuable fish part like skin, fins, organs, head etc of various types of fish what-ever type is available at the time so consistency becomes an issue again

--meat by-products-- This is the worst of the by products, meat obtained from rendering plants, it will contain dead and diseased livestock, roadkill such as skunks, raccoons, deer some of which may have arrived already severely decomposed, also some rendering plants take euthanized companion animals and you are getting again only the crappiest less meatiest parts

So far very little actual meat protein that cats need since there is very little meat in by-products

-- corn meal-- used as a filler, binder to hold ingredients together also as a protein source

-- soybean meal -- Is where most of the protein is coming from cats are tru carnivores they need meat protein to keep them healthy grain/vegetable protiens do not contain all the necessary amino acids necessary for good health

--pea fiber-- contains the skin of the pea( the rest of the pea is dehydrated and sold as dry peas for making soups, may also contain the pods.

So basically this food is made up of all waste products the only nutrition really is the added vitamins and minerals, so a very poor quality product.

Cost may be have been a factor in buying but over the longterm your trying to save money on cheaper food will likely ends up costing you a lot more in vet bills.

If you are looking for something that is a lot better quality has no by-products but not too expensive try Kirkland Premium Cat food from Costco , It is made by Diamond Pet foods would be same as their Diamond Natural line of cat food

You can read the difference in the ingredients by clicking on the pictures of the different formulas http://www.diamondpet.com/products/d...cats/dry_food/
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM

Hey! I found the little pamphlet with the Kirkland ingredients-

Super Premium Cat Maintenance formula:
Chicken by-product meal, ground yellow corn, brewer's rice, chicken fat, corn gluten meal, natural chicken flavor, etc etc...

Crude protein: 30%
Crude fat: 20%
Crude fiber: 2%
Ash: 5%
Magnesium: 0.1%
Taurine: 0.1%

Whereas the dog Kirkland Super Premium Lamb and rice:
Lamb, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat, beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, millet, brewer's dried yeast, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, etc etc

Last edited by Ford; March 18th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Honest Contributor

OG maybe you were talking about the canned cat food? how are those ingredients?

Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM

There's no kirkland canned cat food in my pamphlet so I dunno.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Honest Contributor

i can't find anything on the 'net either so...

Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess I stand corrected was going by some other forums that suggested the food was the same, since I could not find an ingredient list online for Kirkland catfood
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont know about the byproduct issue,many raw feeders feed by products.Tough call.Depends on what is meant by the term by product I suppose.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:00 PM

There's by-products and then there's 4-D by-products, where the diseased and dying ones are thrown in too. Usually in pet food, especially when it's nondescript meats, they're the 4-D ones.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes I know,which is why without knowing what they are,it is a tough call imo.Many people think all by products are bad,and that is not the case.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Yes there are differences. The chicken feet I feed are all off the human grade chickens. I don't really consider them a by product, as its more natural as they would eat the entire chicken in the wild. As Prin pointed out, they don't sort through a pile and only give me the 4D ones.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

A by product is a by product.And some think all are bad.I dont.Hard to say without knowing the source,and I would not say all by products in commercial foods are of the 4D variety without facts.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Honest Contributor

i suspect that the petfood manufacturers who use cheap ingredients and fillers to cut costs don't add quality "by-products"... they're all about turning waste products into profit and really don't give a crap about what it does to our pets in the long run...

i feed by-products to my dogs, in raw form (organ meats, feet to gnaw on, green tripe, etc) but i certainly don't feed intestines, feathers, skins, beaks, hooves, rotten or diseased meats... and you can bet your bottom dollar that alot of that goes in the lower-end petfoods

Old January 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Exactly! With commercial food, you have no idea what they have for by-products, If it comes from human grade products, or if they sweep up whats off the floor at the end of the day, put it in a box and call it dog food so to speak.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old January 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM

holistic petshop?

Hello all!

Thanks for all the suggestions and disturbing info. Unfortunately, I've never heard of a holistic petshop as suggested by technodoll. I reside in a pretty rural area in Pennsylvania . I did see that many of the brands could be purchased online though.

The Sience Diet XD is a prescription from the vet and is very expensive. Vet said it is supposed to be the only food available that is targeted at deterring the formation of calcium oxalate kidney stones. This type of stone does not desolve and the ones my cat has are too large to pass but too small for surgery. He has been suffering with UTIs since he was a year old. He is now 13. The stones were only discovered this past year with an x-ray. (He has been to 3 different vets over the years and all have taken x-rays but this is the first time anything was seen.) Does anyone know if any of the natural foods has ingredients that will help prevent future stones in my little guy? (I don't know what specific ingredients are supposed to accomplish this.)

Any insight into finding a food that will help prevent further suffering for my sweet boy will be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
i suspect that the petfood manufacturers who use cheap ingredients and fillers to cut costs don't add quality "by-products"... they're all about turning waste products into profit and really don't give a crap about what it does to our pets in the long run...

i feed by-products to my dogs, in raw form (organ meats, feet to gnaw on, green tripe, etc) but i certainly don't feed intestines, feathers, skins, beaks, hooves, rotten or diseased meats... and you can bet your bottom dollar that alot of that goes in the lower-end petfoods
I suspect that is the case for meat in many commercial foods.Has human grade become a legal term yet for defining pet food?I recall reading that it was not,I think I have seen it used on foods that use products that are not human grade,menhaden fish meal etc.

I know several people that feed whole animals to their pets,skin,intestines,you name it.I do not think rotten or diseased comes into play with the word byproducts in all cases.
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Honest Contributor

Diets high in grain and vegetables produce alkaline urine, which allows certain stones to form. This is one of many reasons to see to it that your pet eats a commercially prepared diet. Had your cat been fed a raw, natural meat diet the occurence of UTIs would have probably been non-existant (as reported by other pet owners who made the switch).

this is what Science Diet XD contains:

Quote:
Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), soy fiber, chicken liver flavor, DL-methionine, taurine, preserved with BHT and BHA, minerals, beta carotene, vitamins .

Mainly composed of a rice by-product (leftovers after the alcohol brewing process so it's fermented and contains traces of alcohol), chicken leftovers from the human food chain (often contains rotted carcasses, heads, feet, intestines, feathers, etc), corn is not only a cheap filler and an allergen but corn gluten meal is also a by-product, then you have soy which is another no-no for cats, and did you know that both BHA and BHT are proven carcinogenic preservatives? it's a component of rubber tires and the containers have a big skull and cross on them!
so there you have it... sometimes you have to analyze what the vet is telling you to conclude they are often wrong when it comes to nutrition.

now for what you CAN feed your cat... i would strongly suggest you read this and give it some consideration :love: http://www.holisticat.com/rawdiet.html

Last edited by Ford; March 18th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
I know several people that feed whole animals to their pets,skin,intestines,you name it.I do not think rotten or diseased comes into play with the word byproducts in all cases.
i agree that we are not talking about "all cases", but it does for many cases specially in regards to inferior brands and unethical petfood companies (and there are MANY out there).

i also agree that feeding the *whole* animal (such as mouse, rabbit, etc) which includes all internal organs and skin is a very good way to feed, because it is balanced by nature... you get the good meat and fats to balance out the other stuff. and it's fresh. but petfood companies who use by-products exclusively deny our pets the good stuff that comes naturally in a whole animal, those choice cuts of meat and good fats are stripped off for human consumption and the pets get the rest. that creates a nutritional imbalance, which is why by-products in petfood are best avoided.

Old January 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM

To prevent more stones, they say to cut down on ash, and the minerals, like Magnesium. I haven't done too much research on it (don't have any cats), but I'm sure there are threads about low ash diets around here somewhere...

As for byproducts, there's no doubt that "egg product" isn't a good thing, and if that's in the food, it's a strong possibility that the rest isn't good either. I mean, last I checked, eggs were cheaper than meat, right? So if you skimp on the cheap, what are you doing to do with the expensive?
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Honest Contributor

ash is a by-product (effect) of cooking meats... so feed your cat a raw diet and that problem is eliminated

prin, good point on the egg thing!

Old January 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
i agree that we are not talking about "all cases", but it does for many cases specially in regards to inferior brands and unethical petfood companies (and there are MANY out there).

i also agree that feeding the *whole* animal (such as mouse, rabbit, etc) which includes all internal organs and skin is a very good way to feed, because it is balanced by nature... you get the good meat and fats to balance out the other stuff. and it's fresh. but petfood companies who use by-products exclusively deny our pets the good stuff that comes naturally in a whole animal, those choice cuts of meat and good fats are stripped off for human consumption and the pets get the rest. that creates a nutritional imbalance, which is why by-products in petfood are best avoided.
Guess we can agree to disagree,I think what you are saying can apply to all parts of the pet food.As an example liquid and dried egg product is in human food as well,so it would fall under "human grade" but doesnt mean it is good.I guess I tend not to go for blanket statements on things like this.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM

No, human grade definitely doesn't imply that a product is flawless. I mean, just look at cereal- most of it is still preserved with BHT and a lot of us won't even allow that for our dogs...
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prin
I mean, just look at cereal- most of it is still preserved with BHT and a lot of us won't even allow that for our dogs...
running to look at all the ingredients in the boxes at home wtf, are you serious? that is terrible! ugghh! luckily we're ok... mostly simple and organic cereals... my goodness. i'm gonna be label scrubbing from now on...!

Old January 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Really, its all food. People have been saying for years with all the chemicals we use, cancer rates are on the rise. All these new super bugs coming out. Its really sad to think about. Orgainic seems to be the new trend. Try and get away from chemicals as much as possible and back to natural foods.