Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Cat vomits after eating EVO canned dog food

Over the last six months or so, I've noticed on several occasions that after getting a bite or two of EVO 95% beef canned dog food, our cat has vomited. The first time it happened, it didn't occur to me that there was a connection. The second time, I strongly suspected it was the dog food. And today, I am now positive.

I don't actually feed it to her. I just have it up on the counter as I'm feeding our dogs. I've noticed that she's interested in it, but it's not like she runs to it and gobbles up a bunch. It has literally only been a bite or two each of the three instances she's vomited. And she rarely vomits, so I've taken special note each time of the circumstances.

So my question is whether there is something in the dog food that is very bad for cats, or if this is just my cat and her sensitivities. I don't plan on feeding it to her or letting her near it in the future, but just wondering what the heck is going on here. Usually she eats California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato kibble.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that it's beef rather than dog food (especially since it's the 95% meat variety, which doesn't have a lot of extra fillers that could be causing the problem). Lots of cats are sensitive to beef, whether it be allergies or vomiting like you're seeing. I had a cat that would almost instantly regurgitate raw beef, but was fine with all other kinds of raw meat.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the input! I had no idea that cats were sensitive to beef.....better to know late than never I guess. Thanks again