Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Question Leftover cat food

In trying not to waste so much food, this is what I've done today.

The Fantastic 4 so far will only eat Fancy Feast canned. I buy the small cans, 3.5oz. This morning, they were making a ruckus, so I fed them around 5:30. I gave them each a can. They did what they usually do, ate some then walked away. I waited for a few minutes to see if they wanted more but nobody kept eating.

I took the leftover food and put it in a plastic container and at about 3ish I warmed it up and gave them all some food. Again, they all ate some then walked away.

I need to stretch out what food I have for a couple of weeks. Normally, I'd have thrown away what they didn't eat the second time around, but I stopped and realized, there wasn't anything really wrong with the food. I hated to throw it away because it would be a waste.

I'm also trying to get them to just eat twice a day. I have taken away the kibble I usually leave out for them to munch on during the say for fear that Vlad will continue gaining weight.

Now, my question is, would it be okay for them to eat these leftovers tomorrow for breakfast?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Sure it would be ok,just add a little hot water.
Personally,I think a can each,is way too much food,my 3 cats split a small can between them and even then there are some leftovers,which Rocky usually finishes off later.
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Sure it would be ok,just add a little hot water.
Personally,I think a can each,is way too much food,my 3 cats split a small can between them and even then there are some leftovers,which Rocky usually finishes off later.
Maybe that's part of my problem, I give them too much. I've always just been afraid if I fed them too little then they wouldn't get what they needed as far as nutrition or I'd be starving them. Now I've begun to realize I am throwing away a lot of food and enabling Vlad to eat too much.

So you give all 3 of yours from the same small can at feeding time?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes I do,but they also have dry food available.
In your case,I would feed them 2 cans between the 4.
The problem is,cats are usually nibblers,eat a bit and then come back for more,if you have one cat(like my Vinnie)who would eat it allmit's difficult.
I have to supervise them while they are eating,make sure Vinnie is not eating anybody elses food,but if you work,I suppose you cannot do that all the time.
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Mine are nibblers, yep.

Oksana will usually be the first to walk away, then Vlad. Maks and Kiska will eat each from their plate, then switch to the other's plate (I have no idea what that's all about.)

I think I can try having them share 2 cans among the 4. I had at first been leaving kibble in each of their bowls. Then I took away 2 bowls and left 2. Maybe if I left one bowl with a little kibble the will at least have something to nibble on.

Old March 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

What happens if you just leave the canned food out for them, so they can come back to it later? That's what I do. My guy will typically only eat about a tablespoon or less at a time and then keep coming back every couple of hours until he's finished (which can take up to 10 hrs). You can add some extra water so that it doesn't dry out too much.

As for the amount to feed, a general rule is 20-30 calories per pound of ideal body weight. So a typical 10 lb cat would need somewhere between 200-300 calories per day, depending on age and activity level.

Now, the average can of Fancy Feast has about 25-30 calories per oz. A 3 oz can therefore has between 75-90 calories. Which means that a 10 lb cat should be eating at least 2 cans of Fancy Feast per day, and up to 4 depending on the particular flavour or cat. I really don't think 2 cans for 4 cats is going to be enough.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I think its fine...my kitties always get a can throughout the whole day (breakasdt and dinner). When it starts looking dry and all I just heat some water in the kettle, pour it over and sort of mash it with the fork. They seem to like it
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

SCM,you are probably right,but my cats would never eat one whole can each and I have never had a cat who did.
If you have only one cat,you are able to leave a dish of food most of the day,but in my house,it means Vinnie would eat until he drops..
With Chico,I am pleased if he eats 2 tbsp's of cannedhe's just not too keen.
Also with 3 or 4 cats in the house,if you buy good quality canned,it would cost you $10/day,not that I begrudge my cats their food,but they are doing good on 1/3 can each twice/daily.
What I am going to do,I am going to feed them the same amount in the middle of the day and try to ease out the dry food,maybe Chico will then eat more canned.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Remembering Lukka

When I catsit my sisters cats (3) they get about a teaspoon each of the wet food, most of the time it gets eaten, but some days they walk away and come back an hour or so later to finish. They have dry food at all times.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I'd leave out the food, but I always thought it would just spoil. And it also gets crusty, but water added to it should fix that.

This morning I gave them each a half a can. Oksana had a few bites, Vlad, Maks and Kiska ate most of it, then walked away. When I came down from my shower, it was gone. I'd also left them some kibble, which they'd all eaten some of. They all like the kibble, so I think I'll leave it out for them, only not in such a large amount like before.

I'll try giving them all half a can for a few days and see how it goes. If I see they're really hungry in the evening, I'll give them more at breakfast and continue to leave a bit of kibble out for them.

I don't want them to be starving, but I've not been doing a good job about the amount of food I feed them. I think I've been giving them way too much, which is causing Vlad to gain too much weight.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Ancient,I mean 1/2 can each at breakfast and again at dinnertime..
My Chico will only have maybe 3 bites,then I have to cuddle him and coax him to eat more.
As long as I am beside him,he will eat,he feels better if the others are not staring him down,especially Vinnie
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Half a can worked well this morning. They all ate a good bit, and I didn't feel bad if the boys felt the need to have more.

I went across the street to CVS and got them a can of sardines just for a treat. I took the little spine out of the sardines and they ate them up. They love sardines.

I'm wondering of that's something I might be able to give them a couple of times a month. It's packed in olive oil, which I read on one of the threads here is good for hairballs, and they all have issues with hairballs, except for Vlad.

Later this evening, I'll give them each another half can. I'm thinking that's going to work well. They don't seem as hungry as yesterday, since I'm giving them just a little more, and I gave them each a bit of kibble.

It's considerably less than what I was giving them, but since I was throwing most of the food away before, I think this may work.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You can try only feeding them about 4 tablespoons four times a day. If you are at work, double up, then feed them when you get home, then again before you go to bed. That way they are getting fresh several times a day, and you are not wasting any. Puddles will only eat fresh food so she gets fed 3 times a day, but she is senior and does not eat as much as when she was young so 3 times is OK for her. Vlad may need more as he is a larger cat.

If you don't leave food out for them to munch on all day, they will be hungry when you feed them and will eat more when the food is put down.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I left them what they didn't finish in the morning, but I watered it down a bit with some warm water. That way they can go back and munch on it. I also left them just a small bit of kibble. I'll try it like this for a day or two and see how they do.

It's easier to feed them small bits more often during the weekend, since I'm there. I feed them in the morning around 6:15, then when I get home around 5:30 during the week. Right before bed I give them a treat, but I've reduced the amount of treats.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Mine get both the dry and canned.I've always done this with all my cats.Casper has a sensitive tummy.I give him a teaspoon.Winnie gets a teaspoon and a bit.They usually finish it up.But since I'm gone most of the day,they have their dry if they get hungry.Having the dry also helps if I have to leave for the weekend.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I give my 3 girls 2 cans of fancy feast in one bowl in the morning and another 2 cans in one bowl in the evening. All 3 take turns eating out of the bowl. They have a bowl of dry food that needs to be replenished every other day, usually with one cup of dry. Once in a while there is food to toss out, but not often.
My big indoor/outdoor male eats 2 cans in the morning and 2 cans in the evening plus whatever dry food he wants. The strays and the neighbours cat gobble down another 2 cans of food and finish off the outdoor bowl of dry. (I'm up to 3 strays now). Never any food to toss out from the outdoor bowls.

Cindy
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Canned sardines are a big hit in my house too, cats and dogs alike. I get the ones packed in soya oil. Usually 4 in a can, the dogs eat 1.5 each and the last one I mush up for the cats. I don't take the bone out, no need with the canned ones, they're soft and easily eaten.

Cindy
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Canned sardines are a big hit in my house too, cats and dogs alike. I get the ones packed in soya oil. Usually 4 in a can, the dogs eat 1.5 each and the last one I mush up for the cats. I don't take the bone out, no need with the canned ones, they're soft and easily eaten.

Cindy
Mine all looooove sardines. I was thinking of leaving the bone in too, but I wanted to ask and see if anyone else did the same. I was also thinking about just giving them a can maybe once a week or every other week.

As far as the food, I've got to keep experimenting. I certainly don't want them to feel like their starved, but I also don't want any weight problems. Vlad is a big cat, so I expect him to weigh more than 10 pounds, but I also don't want him to become overweight, since he's not up to 18 pounds. I also want to make sure I don't have a problem with Maks either. Oksana and Kiska pretty much eat a little bit then walk away. Maks however goes to everyone's plate and starts eating. He's still a kitty so I understand he probably needs lots of food for his energy, but I don't want it to be an issue when he gets older.

Last edited by ancientgirl; March 3rd, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
proud to be a cat slave

When you want your cats to slim down you think about giving them smaller amounts of food. The problem is that they still need a certain amount of calories, and the bigger the cat, the more he/she needs to eat.

Right now, you could get away with feeding each of your cats about 200 calories a day. That will maintain the other kitties, and slim down Vlad. I agree with sugarcatmom (of course ), to have your kitties main that that amount of calories, they will need at least two cans of Fancy Feast a day. The problem with the cheaper foods is that they are lower in calories, which means you have to feed more of them. It actually works out that you are paying close to the same if you buy the higher quality stuff. One 5.5oz can of Chicken Wellness, for example, is about 220 calories. So you'd feed less than a whole can of that a day, while you'd have to feed two cans of say Fancy Feast or Friskies per cat. If the Wellness is $1.20 a can, and FF is $.60 a can, you're essentially paying the same price (if that makes any sense).

Cats don't need to have access to food 24 hours a day - I know when you cut down the food it feels like you are starving them, but you are not. If you can't leave out the food all day because of the other nibblers, then yes, by all means, save it for later - if you keep it in the fridge it'll be fine for later on in the day.

Okay, that was my

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)